traveltheworld

Anyone else an alcoholic?

:)I am an alcoholic. I love to skydive but my new realization that I am an alcoholic also challenges my love for skydiving. Skydivers tend to drink in an alcoholic way. It is hard for me to jump and also remain sober, since so much talk revolves around the after jump hours time that is spent getting loaded through various forms of intoxication (all of which I used to participate in).
Anyone else out there either try to get sober while skydiving, or doesn't drink and also skydives? If so, how do you jump and remain sober? I would like any advice you may have for me...

B

I jump and go home. The party after jumping is usually counter productive and adolescent. I must confess I get sick and tired of hearing every other work used being "*uck" and the lewd activities. Our daughter of 8 years loves to see us jump, but I have to limit her exposure to the people at the DZ.
After reading about people who recently were injured or bounced loaded with ectasy, cocaine, pot and alcohol, I really think the members of our sport need to re-evaluate their focus. Drugs and alcohol and going headdown really don't mix well.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

well , i havent tried to sober up but I know ppl who have. I agree w ith kirils. remove yourself from the temptation, but i also think that the party is part of jumping. towrads the end of the night i believe it gets a little ridiculous but if youi remove yourself just after sunset load you should remian sober.
good luck and " fuck peer pressure!!" in our sport, you are required to think fast in dangerous situations, if you are a recovering alcoholic then this is one of them. be safe, be sober, and think about your duaghter. the temptation should ease up if you look at her face!
congrats on soberiety, that shouyld but some jump tickets!:P

My photos

My Videos

B|Yup 12 years C&S and lviing it.
Skydiving is one of the thing I always said I was going to do, whilst, I spent all my time and money on booze and drugs.
Now I don't do either, and I have money to jump with:ph34r:
Dude the best advice i could give to you is if your in early sobriety, jump and run, get you ass to a meeting and blow them away with feats od arial bravado. You never know who may come and and say, "Yeah i jump and it rocks"
Recoveriong Alchi are in every thing niche of society.
Have fun and when in doubt check a meeting out.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm not, but there is a Friends of Bill skydivers ad in the back of Parachutist every month. Check in the "miscellaneous" category. There are lots of jumpers who don't drink for a variety of reasons. Each manages it in their own way.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Alcoholic ? yeah, that would be me.I can honestly say that skydiving helps keep me sober.I've been clean and sober almost 4 years . I am NOT the type to limit my drinking to after Im done jumping.It took me forever doing 1 aff jump a month and I knew that if I was drinking that skydiving would not be a possibility for me.I still buy my beer when required.
Good luck man,sobriety isnt always easy but its pretty fuckin simple
dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Yo man your not alone,there are alot of non using/abusing jumpers. I'm one of 'em, yep thats right clean and sober for about seven years now. No alcohol, coffee, tea, tobacco, or harmful drugs.
Me personally, I don't have a problem with hanging out with folks who are drinking and ect... I simply decline and explain when offered alcoholic beverages or drugs, I've very rarely have encountered peer pressure and if I do I throw it back at them with sarcasm. Most folks are polite and just offer me a soda and say "thats cool" or "so & so also doesn't either". I still have lots of fun at the DZ after parties or at a bar, people are funny when their under the influence.
I suggest that if you have a problem with the urge to indulge that you simply remove yourself from the source, also ask yourself "does this inanimate object/substance have more control over me than I have over myself ?".
It can be be a long hard road to sobriety. I know, I've been there. But it can be done and YOU can do it.
Skydiving is an addiction...I know i'm addicted! Trade your addictions for this one, think about all the money you'll save on drugs, alcohol, tobacco. Add it up, it equals lots of jumps or new gear! HOT DIGIDY DOG! JUMPS and GEAR...No contest...
You have my best wishes and support.YOU CAN DO IT!!!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

OH! by the way, where do you jump and how many jumps do you have? Fill in your profile a little more, we here at DZ.com would like to get to know you better. We are very friendly and curious and there is so much information and wisdom to be shared here, so hang around and when you have other questions do a "Search" on them or simply post another thread.
Welcome to our other playground, BLUE SKIES!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Im like Chili in respect to not having a problem bein around the shit .As a matter of fact,I work for a band,workin the door,settin up,and I can sit in a bar and Im o.k.The band even played a gig at the dz the same day I busted my leg.It does look fun,drinkin and whoopin it up but I dont romanticize it .I dont judge others that choose to use stuff that I dont,it aint my business.I personally cant handle life and alcohol together.I cant forget that.One thing though,if Im in a bar,at a dz,whatever,and Im not comfortable,Im oughta there.
Get into a program ,its a lot easier to do this with help and support from people that KNOW what recovery is about.
dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I jump and go home. The party after jumping is usually counter productive and adolescent. I must confess I get sick and tired of hearing every other work used being "*uck" and the lewd activities. Our daughter of 8 years loves to see us jump, but I have to limit her exposure to the people at the DZ.
After reading about people who recently were injured or bounced loaded with ectasy, cocaine, pot and alcohol, I really think the members of our sport need to re-evaluate their focus. Drugs and alcohol and going headdown really don't mix well.

I've got to say, I dont much care for the "Holier than thou" attitude. If you truly cannot control yourself when other people drink, the I guess you should leave. You are either too old for such activities, or just dont fit in with the younger crowd.

You call those that do party and have a good time as "counter productive and adolescent". Are you better than them in some way, cause that sure is how I percieved your statement. Yes, people get loose and have a good time when they drink, isnt that the point in the first place? Have you not done this yourself when you drank? (retorical question) And as far as "counter productive" goes, heck, if they drink alot to get drunk, the've produced just what they were looking for. ;)

I can understand that you dont want your 8 yo daughter to be exposed to swearing, and its unfortunate that people cant acknowledge that there is a minor in the room, but for petes sake!!! The festivities at the end of the day arent exactly a place for children. Lets be honest, its only a small amount of people that you have to limit exposure to, so try not to associate all participants as bad influences.

Yes, some people have died recently from jumping under the influence of whatever. They made some BIG fucking mistakes in that, that's for sure. If you jump under the influence, you can apply the following
: natural selection : Partying at the END of the day is what we are talking about here. Partying DURING the day as you have somehow justified in this topic as to say that if you party at the end of the day, you do as well during your jump day. Offending sir, plain and simple.

Don't get me wrong, if you do anything more than booze and a little weed, I think that you are a fucking fool, but lets keep it relative. If you do more drugs than that, you do need to reavaluate your life, but not all, or even the smallest percentage fall into that catagory. Hey, I'm glad you are recovering, thats a huge step. The next step is to accept others for who they are and not to judge them harshly as you have done here, as you were one of them yourself. If you cant hang out with your friends when they drink, and I'm assuming you have friends at the DZ that like to party, then you might not be as far on that road as you think.

Just my .02 coming from a jumper who is sick and fucking tired of others being judgemental on everybody else's life but thier own.

You are not alone, as others have said in their replies. Sober for three years, clean for seven.
Staying after a day of jumping is agreat way to make friends and hear all the stories. But it can be tough socializing at the end of the day, you have to know your limitations. If you start to jones for that alcoholic beverage... pack it up and leave QUICK! If you know or think you're not ready, don't stay. If being sober is new, don't put yourself in temptations way. And if you can, like Chili said, buy your beer when you owe. The drinkers will LOVE the fact that there is more for them!! You can almost see them salivate!!
Just remember... one day at a time.

I've got to say, I dont much care for the "Holier than thou" attitude. If you truly cannot control yourself when other people drink, the I guess you should leave. You are either too old for such activities, or just dont fit in with the younger crowd.

You call those that do party and have a good time as "counter productive and adolescent". Are you better than them in some way, cause that sure is how I percieved your statement. Yes, people get loose and have a good time when they drink, isnt that the point in the first place? Have you not done this yourself when you drank? (retorical question) And as far as "counter productive" goes, heck, if they drink alot to get drunk, the've produced just what they were looking for. ;)

---and---

Don't get me wrong, if you do anything more than booze and a little weed, I think that you are a fucking fool, but lets keep it relative. If you do more drugs than that, you do need to reavaluate your life, but not all, or even the smallest percentage fall into that catagory. Hey, I'm glad you are recovering, thats a huge step. The next step is to accept others for who they are and not to judge them harshly as you have done here, as you were one of them yourself. If you cant hang out with your friends when they drink, and I'm assuming you have friends at the DZ that like to party, then you might not be as far on that road as you think.

Just my .02 coming from a jumper who is sick and fucking tired of others being judgemental on everybody else's life but thier own.

So basically, you think it's wrong that he percieves the drinking and partying as "counter productive and adolescent"

and you percieve " If you do more drugs than that..." to me it seems that you are saying the same thing, except your line of tolerance extends a little bit further than his does.

--
Hook high, flare on time

Staying after a day of jumping is agreat way to make friends and hear all the stories.

And this is important, some of those stories are of how people dealt with whatever shit they found themselves in that day. I've found there's a lot of knowledge to be gleaned after the beer light goes on, things they don't teach in the FJC that just might save your life one day.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

just wondering...does cracking open a beer at 4pm on sunday make me an alcoholic?? My roomate made me do it! just kidding..oh, not about having the beer though. :S
NOt trying to be insensitive to this topic, but people are starting to get fiesty. [:/]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

Jimbo,
I completely agree. I have learned alot of, what to do and what not to do, after the last load. But it's a balancing act for me. Sometimes I can stick around for a couple of hours and the beer flowing doesn't bother me. Other times I'm there for 15 minutes and start trying to rationalize, "Well one beer won't hurt". That's when I pack up and great the hell out quick!! You are right, there is a bunch of information to be gained from listened to and asking questions when the day is done.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Beer makes some people happy and some people angry. Let's talk about BOOBIES too!
----------------------------------------------------------------
There's always room for BOOBIES

I've got to agree with nws01... 4pm is late!!
Here's my rationale when I was drinking....
12noon start with beer, 5pm is happy hour all's fair. Special occasions (holidays, birthdays, REALLY bad hangovers) you could start shortly after breakfast and stop when standing up is not possible (can't make it to the alcohol!)
Why did I quit again....
;)