Gaper

washers in my staelizers

Ok then, they aren't slider stops. They are lock washers to keep the nuts from getting loose and falling off. You wouldn't want to have a stabilizer fall off and hurt someone would you?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I suspect that they ARE slider stops. At the end of the lines in places where sloppy packing could pull part of the fabric into the slider grommets, they install a poker chip sized piece of plastic.

The idea is that this is sewn into the fabric (usually reenforced with tape) so that if you pull the slider all the way to the material when you are packing it, no material can be pulled into the slider accidentally. They sometimes have had them in other places besides the stabilizers but generally that's where the problems were. If you find one, I'd bet it is at the top of a line.

theyer in all canopies not slider stops in the stabelizer

like i asked , earlier

WHat canopy is iT??? as In.... the Name of the canopy OR the Manufacturer,,, OR the brand......

I used to have a main that had them in it... they are sewn Inside the fabric..
and , as has been mentioned.... They keep the slider from grabbing material at the SKIRT of the canopy....

Different than the slider bumpers,, which used to cover the old metal french links.. ( before the days of slinks ) where the lines hit the Risers.....and where the slider grommet Could get damaged by repeatedly banging against the hard links... on opening where the slider bangs on down the lines....
If you ding up those grommets then they could cause premature WEAR to the suspension lines.. on every opening...

jmy:|

Ok then, they aren't slider stops. They are lock washers to keep the nuts from getting loose and falling off. You wouldn't want to have a stabilizer fall off and hurt someone would you?

......................................................................................

Thanks for explaining ....
I always wondered what held the stabilizers on.

Hah!
Hah!

"

I suspect that they ARE slider stops. At the end of the lines in places where sloppy packing could pull part of the fabric into the slider grommets, they install a poker chip sized piece of plastic. ..."

....................................................................................

Several manufacturers USED to install poker chips - as slider stops - but quit after too many plastic poker chips cracked. When poker chips get too small, they can jam inside slider grommets.
Given the high cost of poker chips, one manufacturer found it less expensive to install silver dollars.
Lots of manufacturers install steel or aluminium washers.
Strong likes to install the middle ring from 3-Ring releases.
Techno reserves (made by Parachutes de France) have washers sewn into the bottom skin near the corner "A" lines.

"

I suspect that they ARE slider stops. At the end of the lines in places where sloppy packing could pull part of the fabric into the slider grommets, they install a poker chip sized piece of plastic. ..."

....................................................................................

Several manufacturers USED to install poker chips - as slider stops - but quit after too many plastic poker chips cracked. When poker chips get too small, they can jam inside slider grommets.
Given the high cost of poker chips, one manufacturer found it less expensive to install silver dollars.
Lots of manufacturers install steel or aluminium washers.
Strong likes to install the middle ring from 3-Ring releases.
Techno reserves (made by Parachutes de France) have washers sewn into the bottom skin near the corner "A" lines.

Okay...then why was there a paperclip in my reserves end-cell? ;)

THAT was a surprise...:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've seen a safety pin with a little flag on it (noting a defect in the manufacturing) on a canopy I looked at once.

I wouldn't use a paperclip though, they fall off too easily.:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've seen a safety pin with a little flag on it (noting a defect in the manufacturing) on a canopy I looked at once.

JB Weld would work so much better!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

JB Weld would work so much better!

I don't know how well it would stick to the nylon and what if it's a grey parachute?

Maybe if there was RED JB weld.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Damn, the note fell off.

Next time I'm stapling that fucker on there.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

"... Okay...then why was there a paperclip in my reserves end-cell? ;) ..."

Shhh!
If the Department of Defence hears you talking about ..... they will haul you in for a "de-briefing!"
After World War Two, the United States Air Force "invited" a bunch of Hitler's best engineers (e.g. Werner von Braun) to work in the USA. The Program was called "Operation ......"
During the 1950s and 1960s, the USA and USSR played a game of "our german scientists are better than your german scientists ..."
Some journalists called it the "space race."

Okay...then why was there a paperclip in my reserves end-cell?

Not a "paperclip" It's probably incorrectly installed safety wire. It's supposed to keep the stabilizer fastener nut from vibrating loose. Check for an SB about it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

On April First, Icarus announced they were starting to install electro-magnets in the stabilizers of pond-swooping canopies. A mere tap on an android phone would repack a canopy from "terminal" to "hop and pop" configuration, by releasing electro-magnetic slider stops.
The built-in GPS will also help steer the canopy for on-heading openings.

On April First, Icarus announced they were starting to install electro-magnets in the stabilizers of pond-swooping canopies. A mere tap on an android phone would repack a canopy from "terminal" to "hop and pop" configuration, by releasing electro-magnetic slider stops.
The built-in GPS will also help steer the canopy for on-heading openings.

But that does mean adopting both Android phones and Icarus canopies. A step too far?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Old or new square canopies have washers sewn into a reinforcing tape located at the bottom of stabilizers (there should be 4 of them) in order to prevent the sliders grommets to get higher than the attachment point of the lines and therefore avoiding slider grommets to be locked in the canopy fabric and create a malfunction.

When your canopy starts to get ready to inflate, the relative wind on the slider push it upward and then the grommets push on the washers (those are called grommet stoppers). The washers stop the slider grommets. At that very time, the canopy get some air inside, the slider becomes less and less efficient (speed is slower) and slowly get down to allow the canopy to inflate completely. The role of the slider is to staging the inflation and makes it more progressive and comfortable. I am talking here about canopies used in free fall. BASE canopies have no slider, or have a mesh slider or are packed with slider down since the free fall is generally short and they need a fast inflation.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.