nws01

Snowboarding?

AND they deliver to korea!

i've gotta admit, i'm spoiled. there was no way in hell i was bringing my gear to the land of the morning stink... i *saw* dragon valley! 'nuff said! :P

as far as online stuff, i'd say a yahoo search would be worth your while. try to find sites with a decent spread of reader product reviews. that way, you can get the real scoop before you buy.

steve

Any snowboarders out there? Can you recommend some top web sites for gaining info on the sport, gear, galleries, etc?

Hrm, had to look at the sticker on my beerbong to remember the name of the store... http://www.zumiez.com/

Oops, nevermind, thats where I got goggles and some other stuff... Eh, I haven't done it for a few years now (something about the damned Florida winters don't cooperate)
It's a blast though, I'm not sure you could call what I did snowboarding so much as travelling down a 3000' mountain in 5' incriments... :)
Cool thing is you don't get the safety nazis like we have in skydiving, first week I did it we hit the black diamond runs and the half pipe. :S

**note, I think skydiving safety nazis are a GOOD thing

--
Hook high, flare on time

Straight in, then hard toggle turn nearly missing the barb wired fence by 6 inces to a 200 foot swoop. You all do go straight in there for a second.;)

When getting into a new sport like snowboarding you want to know all the info about the gear and maneuvers like we do about skydiving but I don't know didly about snowboarding. Just dress warm and throw yourself down a hill. Follow SkyMonkeyOnes advice, "Go Fast, Take Chances and for Gods Sake Don't Wear a Helmet!":D

AND they deliver to korea!

i've gotta admit, i'm spoiled. there was no way in hell i was bringing my gear to the land of the morning stink... i *saw* dragon valley! 'nuff said! :P

as far as online stuff, i'd say a yahoo search would be worth your while. try to find sites with a decent spread of reader product reviews. that way, you can get the real scoop before you buy.

steve

dragon valley(yong pyong) was the better of the 2slopes ive been to MUJU sucked!
by me 5th trip(and first to Dragon valley) I was doing tricks off the ramp! my first backflip cured me of fear of getting hurt. the snow was really soft.
I still gotta lotta conrtol issues but after a few hours I can make my way to a ramp and screw around...I hope its as easy this year
My photos

My Videos

Nathan!!!!!!

I'm not much of a skydiver yet but I'm a hell of a snowboarder. After skiing for 25 years I crossed over to the "dark side" and started riding. Been doing t 100% for siz years now. All over New England, Jackson Hole and in the Alps.

Had I known I could have set you up WITH FREE GEAR. A great learners board plus bindings,. Maybe even boost deending on your size.

As for learning take a intro lesson (I should have but thought my skiing experience counted. Not much it turned out). The rental gear is almost always very shitty so if you decide you like it get your own.

I'd recommend a decent borad from Ride or Burton; for your size a 158 to 160 cm length would be about right.

Step in bindings have come a long way and are easier than strapped bindings. Watch out for Burton step ins as they have a tendancy to freeze up in certain snow conditions. Switch are much better.

One final note: catching your heel side edge as a novice frequently results in slamming your head on the snow. I'd strongly recommend a helmut (could have given you one of those also), knee pads (you'll spend alot of time on your knees) and wrist guards (the most common snowboarding injury for beginners is broken writs; doubles are not uncommon).

If you're back in New England let me know and I'll set you up.

Hope the adventure is going well. I'm going back to the tunnel week after next! Finally healed.

John

Any snowboarders out there? Can you recommend some top web sites for gaining info on the sport, gear, galleries, etc?

The obvious sites are snowboarder.com and snowboarding.com. Burton.com is also good.

My suggestions:
1) Take a lesson or two. They help.
2) Wear a helmet.
3) Buy gear. Boots are key, then board and bindings. If you want to cheap out, don't cut the dollars on the boots...buy a cheaper board or bindings.
4) Don't buy your first gear from the Internet. Use a local shop where they will spend time explaining things and help with binding adjustments and boot fitting. Boots are key...did I say that yet?
5) There are lots of different kinds of gear. Burton publishes a great catalog every year that explains it all. Check their site for a local dealer, then pick up a catalog and check it out. Overall, Burton is a super company with great gear, and they stand behind their product. They get about 10 thumbs up for product and service, but Burton gear is generally expensive.
6) Check out the local sales at the resorts and your hometown shop. It was sale week at Killington in VT today (Sunday too, I think, if you are nearby). Often the local mountains and dealers have used gear sales and trade options at the big sale days. Seriously, if you are near Killington this weekend check 'em out. And heck, the weather is supposed to suck anyway. Otherwise, call your local shop/mountain and ask about sales.
7) When you take that lesson (or two) mentioned as number one, ask your instructor for gear suggestions and dealer suggestions. Instructors don't make much money and generally know where to get good gear at a reasonable price.
8) Avoid step-in boots. Somebody else on this thread suggested step-ins, saying they have come a long way, and they have, but still, avoid them. You really need a great connection between your boots and board. Regular bindings provide stiffness for that connection. If you go with step-ins, the boots need to be extra stiff to deliver your energy to the board. So, boots for a step-in system are generally less comfortable than boots made for a conventional strap binding. I was a skiier before I started riding, and one of the absolute best most excellent things about snowboarding is that our boots are soooooo much more comfortable than ski boots. Don't trade that comfort away for the silliness of step-ins. Also, understand that my position is just an opinion that is debated endlessly in snowboard circles, so ask around, then spend your dollars. But seriously, avoid step-ins.

Ride on, dude!

-tom buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Some good things in this thread, but I would ask many people to make a wise decision. Trial and error also works, but I would not recooment it.

One final note: catching your heel side edge as a novice frequently results in slamming your head on the snow.

I'd personally worry about falling on your face rather than your ass. Watch out for the TOE side catching the snow. I'd rather have a sore butt than a broken nose or busted wrist trying to stop the fall. I speak from some experience and stupidness... I have broken both my wrist and elbow snowboarding.

Avoid step-in boots

This is someone's opinion only. I started off wearing step-ins and rode them for a couple years and then swtiched over to strap-ins. Honestly, there was no difference in performance. The only difference is in comfort and ease of use. On a nice cold day, you can step in and out of the step-ins a lot faster than strap-ins. Whle you are waiting for your buddies to strap in , you're already halfway down the run hitting those table tops with blind 180's. However, on a warm day those step-ins will be horrible because they will be clogged with frozen/wet snow. Taking time to clean them out becomes a pain after 10 times in one day.

my position is just an opinion that is debated endlessly in snowboard circles

I agree completely with this subject. Honestly Nate - You gotta ask a lot of people and then get familiar with the equipment before dropping a few grand on hot-new-shit. Same with skydiving gear, in some ways.

If you are out in NorCal this winter, look me up and we'll head up to Tahoe for the weekend. And definitely take a lesson. Yes, you can learn most of the stuff from trial and experience, but you learn it a lot quicker with someone showing you how to do it correctly.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

got here a little late....open invitation to anyone to come up to salt lake city utah this winter and board with me...you can crash t my place and the dz and hills arn't far away......