rss_v

Cypres battery change Q's

Hi. I have a CYPRES whose batteries is due to expire half way through my next packing cycle, so I might as well change them now. I understand that I can do this myself, is this correct?

Also, on the battery pack there's a sticker with the date of the last battery change written on it - do new batteries come with a replacement sticker? Obviously I will know that they're fresh, but the rigger and DZ may not be convinced unless it looks legit.

The reason I want to do it myself is because it interests me to get involved with my kit, and also to save a few precious pennies on rigging fees. The DZ will still get the money in the end...

well if you have interest in your gear, think about technically what would you have to do to change the battery.
Once you think you have the answer, evaluate if you have the skills and authority to do it.
Then go to your rigger and ask him if you can do it with him.
The cheapest way to do it would be to have the same rigger that did your last packjob do it with you.
Pennies will not be saved :P

AND YES, THE NEW STICKER COMES WITH THE BATTERY :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Just let your rigger know that your batteries are expiring. They will install new batteries during your next repack.

well if you have interest in your gear, think about technically what would you have to do to change the battery.
Once you think you have the answer, evaluate if you have the skills and authority to do it.
Then go to your rigger and ask him if you can do it with him.
The cheapest way to do it would be to have the same rigger that did your last packjob do it with you.
Pennies will not be saved :P

AND YES, THE NEW STICKER COMES WITH THE BATTERY :)

I guess I should clarify that the AAD is currently out of my rig, completely separate. So changing the batteries doesn't involve opening my rig at all!

I guess I should clarify that the AAD is currently out of my rig, completely separate. So changing the batteries doesn't involve opening my rig at all!

OK, but your rigger would still need to note the battery change on the repack card, so they would have to be present at the time of the change if you want them to sign said card. Otherwise, it looks like your batts are out of date, and nobody esle will pack your rig without intsalling new batts.

How come all of your threads surround trying to go 'cheap' on gear? You realize that this is life-saving equipment, right? I'm not siggesting that everyone needs to jump a brand new $9k rig, but I think you're taking this a little too far.

What do you think a rigger will charge you to swap the batts in your Cypres? Most I know would do the swap as part of the I&R and not really charge anything extra. If you really want to learn, ask to be present during your next repack, not by 'playing' with things on your own.

What kind of Cypres is this anyway? If I'm not mistaken, the Cypres2 onyl requires a batt change with the 4/8 year service. If this is a Cypres 1, your bigger concern should be when the unit expires, over and above the batt concern. Look into that before you spend any further money to make sure the AAD will outlast your repack, not just the batts.

OK, but your rigger would still need to note the battery change on the repack card, so they would have to be present at the time of the change if you want them to sign said card. Otherwise, it looks like your batts are out of date, and nobody esle will pack your rig without intsalling new batts.

ah, right - this is the kind of thing I was getting at. OK, then.

How come all of your threads surround trying to go 'cheap' on gear?

Because I have very little money.

You realize that this is life-saving equipment, right?

I see it as fun-having equipment, first and foremost. If our primary concern was life-saving/safety then we'd stay on the ground, instead of spending vast sums of money to be as safe as possible in an otherwise very dangerous situation that we choose to enter. A life jacket or a hard hat are for safety, a parachute is for fun. Just like a car or a set of skis aren't considered "life-saving equipment", even though a fault with either will absolutely fuck you up.

But anyway, I suppose your point is that because it's "very important equipment" I shouldn't skimp on the cost. In fact, imo I shouldn't skimp on the quality/functionality, and if I can save on the cost in the mean time then great, because that's more jump tickets for me.

I'm not siggesting that everyone needs to jump a brand new $9k rig, but I think you're taking this a little too far.

Everyone has a different balance point on this issue, I suppose. I can see that mine would appear bothersome to many, though.

What do you think a rigger will charge you to swap the batts in your Cypres? Most I know would do the swap as part of the I&R and not really charge anything extra. If you really want to learn, ask to be present during your next repack, not by 'playing' with things on your own.

Yep, in fact I just found out that he'll change them "for free" as part of the repack. And the DZ sells the batteries, so I'll just get it all in one! I might ask to watch, but I don't think he likes me much, haha.

***What kind of Cypres is this anyway? If I'm not mistaken, the Cypres2 onyl requires a batt change with the 4/8 year service. If this is a Cypres 1, your bigger concern should be when the unit expires, over and above the batt concern. Look into that before you spend any further money to make sure the AAD will outlast your repack, not just the batts.

It's a "1" and expires early next year, so will be good for the rest of the season. The batteries are finished in a couple of months, though.

Just like a car or a set of skis aren't considered "life-saving equipment", even though a fault with either will absolutely fuck you up.

And the worst analogy ever goes to...

What happens if your 'fun having equipment' completely fails in free fall (to be specific -an unresolvable terminal mal)? You won't have to worry about getting fucked up bad, your dead plain and simple. I put my rig in the same category pilots would their aircraft. You think someone having fun on the weekend in their Cessna would see it as a 'fun having' device?

What im trying to say is that your rig is literately the only thing between you and certain death - I couldn't find a better definition of a 'life saving device' to be honest.

Good answers rss_v.

Sounds like you are trying to be involved in the understanding of and maintenance of your own gear.

And ignore the people who take your analogies out of context.

The Cypres 1 manual does have some simple drawings of the process of replacing the battery.

Like most things in this sport involving gear, the manufacturer is the best source.

In your case, the answer to all your questions is found in the owner's manual for your device, starting on page 21

http://cypres-usa.com/english_users.pdf

Oh, and most riggers are naturally grumpy. Take the time to read the manual for all your equipment before asking a question. You'll soon realize most of the answers are in the manual. People who don't read the manual are the people who make riggers grumpy. Grumpiness is fixed with good questions not covered by the manual, plus some beer.

Just like a car or a set of skis aren't considered "life-saving equipment", even though a fault with either will absolutely fuck you up.

And the worst analogy ever goes to...

What happens if your 'fun having equipment' completely fails in free fall (to be specific -an unresolvable terminal mal)? You won't have to worry about getting fucked up bad, your dead plain and simple.

Correct.

I put my rig in the same category pilots would their aircraft. You think someone having fun on the weekend in their Cessna would see it as a 'fun having' device?

According to what you just said - yes!

What im trying to say is that your rig is literately the only thing between you and certain death - I couldn't find a better definition of a 'life saving device' to be honest.

The distinction is see concerns how one found themselves in that situation. I choose to get on the plane, go to altitude and then step out. In fact, I pay good money for it! The rig then does stop me from dying shortly afterwards, but in that situation it's not, in my mind, its primary purpose or indeed my main concern. If it was, I wouldn't get into the situation in the first place. Whereas something like a life jacket is utterly pointless to wear except that it may save you in a completely unwanted and unintended situation - it has no other purpose other than as a life-saving device.

So while a parachute (etc.) for a recreational skydiver is indeed a life-saving device in literal terms, it's not by any means for me the primary concern when I choose what to put on my back. I would ever admit that at the DZ, of course, but I suspect many people think similarly.

I see it as fun-having equipment, first and foremost.

The rig then does stop me from dying shortly afterwards, but in that situation it's not, in my mind, its primary purpose or indeed my main concern.

Hmm... there seems to be something wrong here... Obviously gear is not the issue at hand. :S
Padalcek - CCO, HF-17
http://www.theflyinghellfish.com
I'm not a real skydiver - but I do play one on dz.com.