cobar

Cookie G3 Cutaway System

Hey all,

I want to mount a contour camera to my G3 with the Cookie mount that fits on the side plate. The CCI at my home DZ insists that my helmet has a cutaway installed before I can jump with the camera. I have read a few posts on dropzone.com about guys that have modified there helmets with teflon cables and spring-mounted pins but haven't seen any photos or seen any in the flesh. I have come across this issue A LOT and have even contacted cookie themselves, who buy the way don't have any such system.
So the issue is this, with a fullface like the G3, how affective would a cutaway system for the whole helmet be. Is this the way to go? Or would it be a better idea to have the camera on an independent cutaway?
My G3 is brad new and I do not want to get another helmet just so I can stick a contour on there.
Any help you guys can offer me is greatly appreciated.

Blue Skies & Fast Landings,

Cobar :P
Blue Skies & Fast Landings

200 jumps would be something to be recommended as well b4 doing camera jumps...

the cutaway systems work on latched/strapped closing helmets. I believe the G3 doesn't have one.

(where is the roll eyes smiley?)
Yes. I do know that... Not what I'm asking
Blue Skies & Fast Landings

The G3 tightens the back, (a spectra line) when you close the chin strap.
;)

Ya know considering how well this thing fits you might be able to just not use the chin strap clasp, just don't fasten it,...

or stuff some fabric between the outside shell and the inner liner??

Just a thought, my G3 is a really snug fit, and more than once I haven't bother'd to use the chin strap, just tucked the longer end up inside....
C

I really like the idea about the concern for snaging a line! My concern is that it's not a question that it's going to happen, its when! And it will be unfortunate...[:/]

You might want to reconsider choping up a G3, I mean pushing the 2 rotating things can be a pain, esp if something is in the way? (side mount?) I don't have any experience with this , just saying, with my G3 I need the full force of both hands to push the rotating things forward??? And then there is the flip up clearance??? If your near Chuting Star in DeLand they have a whole shitload of setups on the wall and including all of the nice mouth switches and aiming parts! Biggist collection of helmets and headgear that I have ever seen! Including those hard to find little dicks to bit on!
:)

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I've seen cut away mounts that chop the camera bracket, not the entire helmet. It involved drilling 2 holes in the top of your lid and fitting spring loaded pins held in with a Teflon cable. Something like that might be your best (only?) option with a G3. Personally, I don't like the idea of having bolts through my helmet where they can hammer into my head during an impact but I haven't seen this system up close to know how much of an issue it might be.

I've heard this a few times about the nylon screw and I'm a little concerned. I haven't done any tests myself just apply my knowledge of shear forces.

The way that the go-pro is mounted the shear force is divided in 4 spots. A Nylon M5 bolt has a strength in double shear of about 250 lbs. The way the go pro is mounted this is a theoretical force of 500 lbs. I would image the mount itself would break before the bolt shears.

Am i missing something?

(Just realized your not mounting a go pro.)

Consider attaching the camera using Nylon screws. They will stand the stress of holding the camera in freefall but break under stress from catching lines.
They are the only reason I dared attaching a ringsight to my camera helmet.
You can get them in any model vehicle store.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

use a go pro and sticky mount...

open face for stills and real vids (digital video)

ful face for fun jumping with go pro

I'm sorry, but that's very bad advice. Why would one want to use a gopro for footage, if there's no way to cutaway the helmet on which it is used? A gopro is by far one of those camera's/mounts with a higher risk of catching lines/entanglements.

"The sticky mount will get ripped off" would not be a valid argument, there's been a few guys testing the strength of a gopro mount on a helmet, with an inflated pilot chute attached to it (IIRC) and it took 7(!) seconds before the casing of the camera itself (not the sticky mount) broke off. I can't find the video at the moment, but I'm sure someone else will ;) 7 seconds might seem like little, but it's longer then you'd wish for when you're burning trough 2 grand, spinning your way downwards with your head in your neck and a big ball of shit pulling on that mount.

If you want to use a camera with no cutaway (would definitely NOT advice this) then a Contour or Bullet camera would be way more low-profile.

Personally, I'd never jump a camera without a quick-release to get rid of the whole thing.
I'd get a cheap open-face with a proper release for jumping with a camera.

I've posted this before, from a really experienced Camera flyer with over 11,000 Tandem Video Skydives...

"Build it snag free because it's really hard to pull a cutaway handle with a broken neck!"

Great advice, thanks Bergie. B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I've been tinkering with a system that releases the strap holding the female clip of the chin strap. Still working on the type of cut away handle, but could be something as big as the TonFly chin mount, or something a bit more low profile. Other than the cut away handle, all parts would stay with the helmet. No separating parts to lose. With only the proof of concept complete, it works really well. Still need to mount it into the helmet to confirm fitment. If I knew there was enough interest, would consider taking the time to refine it and put it into production.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Cobar,

I jump the G3, and I would not advise it. Mine sits tight, and even if you were to cut the strap, the helmet is still a full face tight fit, that needs to come off in ONE direction only, and that is upwards. Open face can go upwards and backwards, and is a lot easier to have a chin quick release system fit to it.

Spent a couple of extra bucks, not nice hanging from your head.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

All this talk of not having a cutaway for your GoPro because the mount will probably shear off is nuts.

Idle conversation with a friend a couple of weeks ago - turns out he'd just that weekend had a horseshoe with bridle around his head-mounted snag hazard.

He eventually cleared it by getting his helmet off, but not before he'd had time to wonder if it was tangled in his opening reserve.

Get. A cutaway.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

The go pro is a cracking camera, but I agree with Joel, the cutaway issue is mental.

I spoke to a mate who used one of the many mounts for the go pro and put a cutaway to the mount instead of the helmet (so in an emergency the helmet stays, the camera goes)

He's attached his to a Cookie Gas not a G3.

I've been tinkering with a system that releases the strap holding the female clip of the chin strap............

I've been thinking of marketing a generic, covered, snag free, go pro mount for skydiving helmets. I have a few Ideas in Autodesk Inventor. Let's talk!

The market is there waiting for someone to tap it.

I'm just saying.... B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

this does not apply to a G3, but for my bonehead Revolve, i bought a generic companies cutaway kit, and its perfect and tested perfect at home (without a real snag situation)

when i get home sunday ill post some pics of it, as well as what the company name is. it works on a broad variety of helmets, though im not sure if G3 is one because ive never tried one on or seen its chinstrap routing.

now that i bought it and saw how it works, it would be real easy to rig something up yourself with a cotter pin, a spring, and some other various knick-knacks and scallywhops
gravity brings me down.........

this does not apply to a G3, but for my bonehead Revolve, i bought a generic companies cutaway kit, and its perfect and tested perfect at home (without a real snag situation)

when i get home sunday ill post some pics of it, as well as what the company name is. it works on a broad variety of helmets, though im not sure if G3 is one because ive never tried one on or seen its chinstrap routing.

now that i bought it and saw how it works, it would be real easy to rig something up yourself with a cotter pin, a spring, and some other various knick-knacks and scallywhops

I've seen type 7 webbing punctured by a cotter pin. I wouldn't really want to use one for a cutaway system.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I have been following this thread as we are fielding a lot of questions regarding G3 helmets, cutaways and snag proof Go Pro specific design.
Following on from our GP solution for our Fuel helmet, the design has been done to integrate this mount onto the G3.
Whilst there are so many directions to take with regards to snag proofing a camera or cutting away a helmet. The evolution of our G3 is as such that it has now become a camera platform. This feature was never part of our design criteria, so add on solutions are presently only possible.

Attached are two photos showing our new GP roller mount with a G3 specific base. This is a prototype and tooling has commence on production parts.
We have polished our crystal ball and are looking into the future towards newer refined products.

Cookie

I've been tinkering with a system that releases the strap holding the female clip of the chin strap. Still working on the type of cut away handle, but could be something as big as the TonFly chin mount, or something a bit more low profile. Other than the cut away handle, all parts would stay with the helmet. No separating parts to lose. With only the proof of concept complete, it works really well. Still need to mount it into the helmet to confirm fitment. If I knew there was enough interest, would consider taking the time to refine it and put it into production.

Would like to hear more....!

<<<<<<->>>>>>