cobar

Cookie G3 Cutaway System

skytribe

After some jumpers mentioned the cutaway and seeing some of the simple solutions. Myself and another rigger at DZ have built a nice cutaway system for G3. Rather than depending upon the action of the fastex clip to other implementations, this design will disconnect the chin strap completely on one side of the G3 and the helmet comes off cleanly. The cutaway handle is kept nicely in place and take 5 minutes to install.

PM for more info.

Interesting cutaway. Can you describe how it works and upload better pictures? It is quite blurry and I can't figure out exactly how that works.

I've also installed a similar cutaway on my G3, but it relies on the skyshot cutaway http://imgur.com/a/Y10Jj. I wonder if your system has any benefit that I might consider adding to mine.

The cutaway works by using a cloth loop and grommet just like the top loop on a 3 ring release. The fastex clip is secured via this cloth loop.
We have tested with high loads on the strap and found it released every time with the handle only having to be moved a couple of inches. The handle is securely attached to the helmet between the shell and the liner.
Whereas other solutions I've seen depend upon the action of the fastex clip being squeezed to release, this simply disconnects the clip altogether.

I see better now how it works. Mine also disconnects the clip altogether, but it holds it in place replacing the original screw with a button with a spring.

The main difference is that "my" system (I saw it somewhere else before) requires to widen the hole of the original screw, whereas on your case you have to replace the tape that connects one end of the clip to the shell of the helmet.

With a sharp tug, it releases under tension. Regardless, I know this isn't the best possible cutaway, but it is be on Le that is most likely to be adopted by the most number of people. It is much better than nothing.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

I am fine with your opposing opinion. Given substantial evidence to the contrary, I am even open to changing my oppinion. I don't need everyone to agree with me all the time. That would be too much responsibility, It is simply my hope that skydivers keep thinking deeper about safety subjects like this one.

If the readers of this thread are motivated to test this method and find it unworthy, it is my hope that they did a method that does prove trustworthy to them and do it. My concern is when too much information becomes a mental overload that results in no action at all.

Think, choose, think, choose...

The cartoon was hilarious by the way, thank you for being direct with an issue that you feel is important. Your passion around this topic led me to spend time testing the G3 fastex "noose release" that I have on my own helmet. On several trials. under significant load, the method worked most of the time. What is very interesting to me, however, is that it did nt work on 100% of the pulls. I was able to get the buckle release in a single pull on 13 out of 15 tests, and was always able to get it to release in two tries. After several attempts, I eventually broke the lower half of the fastex buckle, making the release seem to work better, despite holding surprisingly well prior to release. It is possible that if one removes the lower of the two "fingers" of the fastex buckles, it will be even safer. My tests showed that this method may work for some people some of the time, and cause others to have a second pull or even a failure to release in some circumstances, especially if they are simply not strong enough to give a sharp tug in the correct direction.

I will place this issue in the same category as the "Blast Handle" and "Reverse Three Rings". It can be used safety by educated personnel, however should not be considered rhe best option when other methods are available, the first being to have a snag free GoPro mount such as Cookie's Roller Mount.

So, my friends, I am once again caused by the skydiving public to revisit my pervious teachings and revise my original stance. I thank you for your willingness of the skydivers to continuer solving problems, and clarify the needs for specific paradigm shifts. This is exactly how we get better as a sport.

Sincerely,
Brian Germain

Thank you for making the test and finding out how good or bad the system works.
My own, very few, tests of the G3 buckle was that it failed every time. But I tested a friends helmet and was not very keen on pulling hard.
If it was my own helmet I would test it till it broke and then just sew on a new buckle.

I also tested two skiing helmets and my Bonehead Guner yesterday and they all worked well under load.

I agree it's not the best option and it may fail. Anyone who choses to install this type of method should test it under load with their buckle and not trust whatever is written on the internet.

tred

I wasn't trying to critique you dude, It was a sincere question for if I ever decide to put a gopro on. maybe some mounts are better than others

ha! it wasnt you :) I just hate this site, and bozos on it, so i wanted to unsubscribe before my inbox filled up with notifications... but unfortunately I dont see an option to stop notifications on a thread that you've replied to

To answer your question, anything can get caught on any mount. There are plenty of videos that illustrate pilot chutes wrapping, even gopros going into D handles.

Pretty dumb way to go in if you ask me. Get a cutaway system, and stop fucking with the box

tred

I wasn't trying to critique you dude, It was a sincere question for if I ever decide to put a gopro on. maybe some mounts are better than others

pretty much any mount "CAN" snag.
What's important here is that the G3 is not designed to come off your head easily.
No cutaway system I have seen changes that.
I have seen a DIY camera mount cutaway, where the base of the mount disconnects. This i thought was decent.
Everything else IMO is pretty much useless.(Especially the fastex buckle and finger trap cord version).

If you really want to run a camera get a helmet designed to have one on it.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

***I wasn't trying to critique you dude, It was a sincere question for if I ever decide to put a gopro on. maybe some mounts are better than others

pretty much any mount "CAN" snag.
What's important here is that the G3 is not designed to come off your head easily.
No cutaway system I have seen changes that.
I have seen a DIY camera mount cutaway, where the base of the mount disconnects. This i thought was decent.
Everything else IMO is pretty much useless.(Especially the fastex buckle and finger trap cord version).

If you really want to run a camera get a helmet designed to have one on it.

grellfab.se

;)

lyosha

;)

Im aware pf the Grelfab mounts and my position is unchanged. G3 is NOT a camera helmet and will not come off easily in the event of a snag.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

;)

Im aware pf the Grelfab mounts and my position is unchanged. G3 is NOT a camera helmet and will not come off easily in the event of a snag.

Losing battle squeak. Do you know how many people get helped to setup their G3 camera setup with NO discussion of snags?

Full face helmet isn't the right tool for the job
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.