cobar

Cookie G3 Cutaway System

Funny how a lot of people have misread the post. I didn't mention GoPro once. The camera I was talking about was a Contour and the mount was the cookie side mount for the G3. I think someone really summed it up pretty well by saying hanging from your neck is not fun...
I think I will invest my time and money in a camera specific helmet.
Thanks for the info guys :P

Blue Skies & Fast Landings

http://www.dzsports.co.uk/chincups--cutaway-systems-48-c.asp

Just releases the buckle so the cord can open all the way. Great company, took just over a week to arrive

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/girthy/media/E7536EAD-9D1E-4483-83BC-DBB7E3246DED-21280-00000F0B340A6641.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/girthy/E7536EAD-9D1E-4483-83BC-DBB7E3246DED-21280-00000F0B340A6641.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/girthy/media/C0A910A3-E4BC-4DC9-92D9-4345B7ABFAD6-21280-00000F0B4C075952.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/girthy/C0A910A3-E4BC-4DC9-92D9-4345B7ABFAD6-21280-00000F0B4C075952.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

girthy

jumped it this weekend, cant feel it at all.

reviewing some video shot of me, it show the pillow not moving at all. I like it :)

have you done a harrness hang up on it to see if it works under tenson. G3s are not designed to be vertically lifted off of your head. I'm interested to see the cutwaway in action.
Can you do a hang up and video it?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

bluebird932

If you can put it on your head you can also take it off. I think its very goo d idea. I've done the same with mine

Yes, but the question is, in what direction? Squeak is right -- you don't put the G3 on straight down vertically. So is it going to break my nose (or my neck) as it is pulled off after the "cutaway"? I'm aware this is better than just burning in under a streamer, but still want to understand what's going to happen when I pull that pillow before I get one.

I could probably throw away the strap on my G3 and it still wouldn't come off in freefall. I am not convinced a cut-away system of this type would do very much to actually cut anything away.

And the camera mount cut-aways I've seen have a bolt through the helmet shell ready to be hammered into your skull in the even of an impact. Again unacceptable.

As far as I am concerned, the G3 is not suitable for camera work and I cannot think of any method of making it so.

So what's everyone's thoughts on this? I thought the idea of the sticky mount was that there's at least some possibility that it gets ripped off if there's an entanglement. With this mounted via screws, it very likely won't come off. I certainly see the benefit of less snag hazard, but this is better if there's very little chance it would come off if there happens to be some entanglement?

evan85

So what's everyone's thoughts on this? I thought the idea of the sticky mount was that there's at least some possibility that it gets ripped off if there's an entanglement. With this mounted via screws, it very likely won't come off. I certainly see the benefit of less snag hazard, but this is better if there's very little chance it would come off if there happens to be some entanglement?

You can always get some 3M VHB (Very High Bond) 4991 tape and stick it on instead of bolting it if it makes you feel better. It's exactly the same tape that Gopro use on their mounts but I would still consider a cutaway. Given the increased surface area of Cookie's new mount, I reckon it would take a shitload of force to peel it off and the new mount is alloy so you can't expect it to break. I would stick it on so you don't have to put holes in your helmet NOT because I was under the illusion it might peel off when your screaming through your hard deck with a ball of shit attached to the top of your helmet. :o
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

jono

***So what's everyone's thoughts on this? I thought the idea of the sticky mount was that there's at least some possibility that it gets ripped off if there's an entanglement. With this mounted via screws, it very likely won't come off. I certainly see the benefit of less snag hazard, but this is better if there's very little chance it would come off if there happens to be some entanglement?

You can always get some 3M VHB (Very High Bond) 4991 tape and stick it on instead of bolting it if it makes you feel better. It's exactly the same tape that Gopro use on their mounts but I would still consider a cutaway. Given the increased surface area of Cookie's new mount, I reckon it would take a shitload of force to peel it off and the new mount is alloy so you can't expect it to break. I would stick it on so you don't have to put holes in your helmet NOT because I was under the illusion it might peel off when your screaming through your hard deck with a ball of shit attached to the top of your helmet. :o

All good points. That said, the idea of a cutaway on a G3 seems a little odd to me. Do you have one? Have you ever tried pulling it straight up, even with the strap undone? It doesn't really move. Who knows if it would break your nose, rip off an ear or two, or even snap your neck getting ripped off after cutaway...

I'm not sure of your point. The fact is, if you stick that mount down, I wouldn't bet my life on the fact that the mount would rip off. The Gopro mounts are hard enough to remove let alone a mount with double the surface area and the way the housing sits in Cookies new mount would make it virtually impossible to break the housing free (leaving the mount behind) by twisting it.
The only reason I would stick it (and did) is to prevent having to drill holes in the helmet. If I was still worried about an entanglement, I would rather have a busted nose or torn ear for that matter than bounce. However having said that, I have a square1 Gopro mount and I stuck it down on my G3 but I'm not kidding myself that I think I could peel it off in a hurry. I've had a Gopro for over a year on an open face but I fitted a cut away before I jumped it. When I got my G3, despite it coming with a Gopro mount already attached (second hand purchase), I waited till I got a square1 mount before I jumped it with my Gopro. For me, I'm happy that the profile of the setup is about a snag free as you can get. I even removed the plastic tightening knob on the side and fitted a standard pan head bolt. Notice I said "For me". If your not comfortable jumping it bolted, don't kid yourself that its any safer stuck down.
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

After some jumpers mentioned the cutaway and seeing some of the simple solutions. Myself and another rigger at DZ have built a nice cutaway system for G3. Rather than depending upon the action of the fastex clip to other implementations, this design will disconnect the chin strap completely on one side of the G3 and the helmet comes off cleanly. The cutaway handle is kept nicely in place and take 5 minutes to install.

PM for more info.