evan85

Optima II altitude offset

Just got a new Optima II, and was jumping at a DZ with an offset landing area this weekend. Do you have to reset the altitude offset each jump? It seemed like I did but maybe I was doing something wrong. On my N3 you just have to set it once and it stays on all day. Thanks!

According to the Optima II Manual, it retains any altitude offset for 14 hours after it is set or after the last jump. Last column of the first page, bottom half of the column.

edit: typo fix

That's the first place I looked. What it actually says is this:

Note: When performing manual altitude offset the OPTIMA II enters
Jump Mode and retains the altitude offset for 14 hours, if no jump
is made. After 14 hours the OPTIMA II recalibrates to the field elevation where it is currently located and once again displays 0. The
altitude offset is not retained when the OPTIMA II is powered OFF.

Note "if no jump is made". Here are the details of what happened with mine:

I set it to -450 at the takeoff airport, and then it says -450 on the display. As we climb, it behaves correctly, matching my wrist-mounted N3. It alerts correctly in freefall and under canopy, again matching my N3. Then we travel back from the the landing zone to the DZ/airport. When I'm getting ready to make the next jump, it says "0" on the display, and I had to manually switch it to -450 again.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is intended or not (so I can send it back). I don't jump at offset DZs very often, but when I do, it's just one more thing to remember that I wouldn't have to do if I had another N3 in my helmet instead.

My interpretation of the manual is that it should stick for 14 hours after the last time something happened, be it the setting of the offset or the making of a jump. They mention explicitly the offset doesn't stick when the unit is turned off, but they don't mention whether or not it sticks after a jump is made. But I don't have personal experience, since my home DZ has no altitude offset between runway and landing field.

I'd suggest mailing L&B directly to ask them about it. Their customer support has a good reputation, so they should get back to you rather quickly.