quade

How much do you tell your family?

I've been in the sport for a while and early on, if an accident happened at the DZ, I'd call them to let them know it wasn't me, just in case they heard something on the news.

Over time, I've learned that generally speaking, the news doesn't travel out to my DZ to cover accidents -- not usually on the same day at least -- so I've stopped telling my family when there is an accident so as not to increase the general level of paranoia.

Last night when I came home early from skydiving, my wife asked if everything was all right. I told her I came home early so that I could watch the game -- of course it was a big fat lie.

Without making too much of a judgment -- how much do you tell your family about accidents?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I am quite open and honest. When a friend hooked in last year (he's ok now, thank God), I called my family, just to let them know I was ok. I didn't tell them about the accident right then, but I felt better calling them.
At Rantoul, I knew my wife was watching the web cam, and reading the message board the entire time I was there, so after I found out about each of the accidents, I called right away to let her know I was fine.
Goes along way to keeping the harmony at home.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Without making too much of a judgment -- how much do you tell your family about accidents?

Nothing.

Two years ago, I told my dad about my first reserve ride, because I was OK and it was a pretty good story. It freaked him out so much I decided telling the parents skydiving stuff was on a need-to-know basis.

When there were two fatalities at Skydive Dallas recently, though, there was some local coverage, and they got in touch with me to make sure I knew about it in case I knew them (I did).

I don't know. It's just easier not to make them worry. They don't really understand the risk we accept on the level that other skydivers do.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I tell my mom when someone I know is hurt or lost. Not to inform her, but 'cause I need her support. We're great, close friends and talk a lot. I know sometimes it's hard for her to hear about it, especially since it seems when it rains it pours. You know, a bunch of accidents all near each other, then a few good months, then something else. But on the other hand, I don't want her to be totally in the blue about the dangers of skydiving either. When I was married I would NEVER tell my husband! He would just be mad at me (found that out the hard way,) and then more pissed the next time I went skydiving. If you need comfort, I would tell. Your wife knows what you do is dangerous. Right now you need support and I'd think she'd want you to come to her if you need her. Hang in there Quade.

Fall in dove.

I tell them nothing about what I do now, because they always say "it's dangerous" and "you've got a death wish" - you know, the usual. If there was an accident, tehn I'd call to say I'm ok, i just wouldn't tell them what had happened, because if I told them what happened, they'd listen to the stuff on the news (his parachute didn't open etc) [:/]

For a while I wouldn't say anything at all. The only newspaper that covered it was Ottawa, IL and I felt it was best. Since the Chicago Tribune started covering incidients family members often call before I have a chance to tell them.

Nothing.

They don't really understand the risk we accept on the level that other skydivers do.

I guess I tell a lot more than most then.

My wife, parents, hell, even my children (all of them, from 11 to 3 years) know that each and every time I get on that plane, I may not be coming back. I tell them that in no uncertain terms. Even the children understand that. We have all dealt with great personal loss recently. My wife lost her Grandmother and Uncle within 3 days of each other. I lost my Grandfather also. This affected the children, but they really do, now, understand death.

When I tell them I love them, they all give me big hugs (gotta love your kids), kisses, and tell me they "hope" to see me again. They know they may not. My oldest children really understand this, and are a bit more understanding of why I will not sign for them to do it early. They have to wait until they are 18, and can choose for themselves.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

After I spent ten years in the Air Force doing all manner of things that could kill me....skydiving isn't so bad. Of course...when I was over at their place for dinner a month or so ago I mentioned that I was on my way to do a night jump. My Mom looked at me like I was nuts and asked why ANYONE would jump at night. I just looked at her and said....Why do I jump during the day? ;) My Dad has 65 jumps on rounds and has been a pilot for most of his life. She is used to us trying to kill ourselves. B| I usually tell her when people get hurt the next time I talk to her. The story usually starts with "This idiot....."

18 1/2 years ago, my ex-husband was the survivor in a fatality. The reporting got his name sort of right (as the slightly-injured survivor, they didn't have to wait until family was notified). Obviously it scared everyone in the family (most of whom watch the news). We didn't know about this until we got home very that night, having been out of touch. This was before the days of cell phones, and we didn't even have an answering machine at the time.
I'd probably tell immediately. Not about an injury, and not if media was unlikely to be involved (i.e. every break etc). But if media is involved, then I'd tell my family. Of course, I'm not in a situation where someone else's opinion is anything but input to what I do anyway.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If there is a fatality on the dz, I immediately call my father and let
him know that it was not me. He has already lost two kids. I don't
like him to worry when he hears the news on tv or radio.
He has done a static line jump, so he knows a little bit. I talked to
him about hook turns (don't do them) and different reasons for fatalities.
Regardless of what skydivers tell themselves and their families,
you can do everything right and still die. I don't tell them that the
sport is safe. I tell them that I am as safe as I can be.

This is intresting...

Actually Im really surprised that my family has not been really that worried about me skydiving. My mom for example has always been very supportive in this matter.

But then again she is very worried about me barefooting or wakeboarding. Maby its becouse she has seen videos of me dipping bad...

Its funny , sometimes I even get the feeling that why i she not worried enough ? All normal mamas should be worried .. right ? :)

Well I guess wuffos have so different images about skydiving...;)

I have made it a habit of calling my parents every time someone doing the same thing in the same place as me dies or is involved in a serious accident. I am living in a small country, so when something nasty happens it is guaranteed to be on the news.
---
PCSS #10

Our local news crews LOVE to harrass the DZ (parking the TV antenna van at the departure end of the runway with the boom all the way up, etc), so if there is anything more then a broken leg or the like you can almost gaurentee its going to be on the 11 oclock news. I'll call and leave a quick message hey, just checking in again.. seeing whats new type then but thats it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My wife rarely trsvels to the DZ with me, but I do tell her pretty much what happens- I think it's better I tell her than if she finds out via any grapevines- (although I waited about nine months before telling her about my AAD fire-)
I also have a 15 year old daughter (1 of 3 kids-) who is very much into skydivng as a she can be- Can't wait till her first jump.. I am very open and honest with her about the dangers involved. Everyone else I give honest answers to thier questions, and I don't try to BS them at all. They all know what we do has it's risks, and that we in general put a high emphasis on safety.

Easy Does It

Nothing.

WHen I broke my ankle running, I told them because I knew they'd see me hobbling around, and would assume it was skydiving if I didn't tell them.

When I broke my other ankle trying to be gentle to the first one I broke, I didn't - because I did it skydiving, and the previously "bad" one was good enough so that someone who didn't know wouldn't notice it.

The only fatalities I've been on the same property as are the two at Rantoul and the one at Quincy last year. I've been fortunate that I've avoided most.

Since I haven't been that close to one, I haven't been strongly affected by one. I haven't chosen to share the details of any with anyone.

I don't lie when people ask... I just don't offer otherwise.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Ive been fortunate thus far, in the sense that I haven't known anyone that was injured or lost.
but I tell my friends and fam about all aspects of the sport. If you dont, then all they see is whats on maximum exposure and Fandango.

I think its important to tell them about these incidents and then give them a brief take on it. I.E what could have been done if anything to aviod it. if the person was showing off and got hurt etc even though I dont want them to worry too much they know alot more about the sport then most ...whuffos'

I cant even call them that, my 52 y/o mother jumped last year with her husband of 2 years.
my father couldnt b/c of back sugery but he got in the wind tunnel to try get the feel! gotta give it to them for trying.

(but then again I am single and my family is 1500miles away)
My photos

My Videos

I personally think honesty is the best policy. Tell them the truth if they ask. But don't offer much info unless you want to share that with them. Both my mom and dad are great, and I do tell them everything. Though my mom freaks out from time to time, I think its better for them to know.

Chivo

It depends on what you consider family. As far as relative family, I don't tell them any of the bad stuff. I have my dropzone family there for support and I'm there for them. I don't think my relative family would understand. It scares them too much. They don't understand that we (skydivers) accept the risk and do what we love regardless. What a sad thing to think about.

Well, I was just busted on this by my wife via my own company. It appears as if KABC just did a live shot out at Perris and the wife saw it. She immediately called me to ask what was up and why I hadn't told her about it last night. She was pretty supportive and told me that she was comfortable with me telling her whatever I wanted to tell her and that I shouldn't worry about worring her as much as just keeping her up-to-date on stuff -she- might have to deal with in answering questions from -her- whuffo friends.

Unfortunately, she ddin't record the live shot, but it appears as if Scott Smith was the on-camera spokesperson for the DZ and that it looked fairly balanced.

_crap- gotta go deal with a work situation -- more later.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

extended family - nada, zip, zilch, nothing whatsoever

parents - nothing more than I'll be at the DZ so don't expect returned calls while the sun is up.

fiance - tell her everything because half the time she is there and I am somehow going to get her through AFF in the spring. (The money is the problem, not her. She's more psyched than I am)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I called my parents and brother after my 1st as well!!! Because it scared me, I wanted everyone I love to know I love them, and that I saved my life!!! BIGGGGG mistake...
I got an ultimatum thrown at me, literally! I chose the one that didnt give me the ultimatum....they learned to accept that to love me, means to love all that makes me me...
SO, i used to say shhhhhh!!! Now i say, screw it! Because I know they wouldnt want to be around me if the air was taken from me;)