evan85

Optima II in Pro-Tec helmet

I have a Pro-Tec helmet, and just got a new Cookie G3 as well. I anticipate potentially using both, though I will likely favor the G3 and use the Pro-Tec less.

I used to "mount" my N3 in my Pro-Tec just by slipping it in its rubber sleeve and jamming it into the foam cut-out for the ear -- it so happens that it fits fairly tightly and doesn't move around, even if I shake the Pro-Tec around. Now I have an Optima II as an audible and plan to wear my N3 on my wrist. I'd like to figure out a way to mount my Optima II (a good bit smaller than my N3) in my Pro-Tec when I want it there, but in an easily-removable way so that I can transfer it to my G3 when necessary.

Anyone have a good solution for this? Thanks!

Make a foam cut-out that on the outside dimension fits into the Pro-Tec ear hole, and another cut-out within that where the inside dimension allows the Optima to snuggle inside. Put the optima in the plug, put the plug in the earpiece, done!

Take a rubber stow (the type you use to stow your lines) and mount it inside the ear of the pro-tec (on one of the horizontal bars) the same way you'd mount it on your d-bag (i.e. loop it around, and pull one end through the other tightly). The resulting rubber loop is of the right size to securely hold your Optima II, without making it extremely difficult to put in or pull out afterwards. Just be sure to mount it with the speaker facing inwards (display facing towards the outside of the helmet) and have the small hole for the speaker unobscured by the rubber. If you can't see that hole, move the Optima II down or up inside the rubber stow until it is free. I made that 'mistake' once and wondered if I hadn't forgotten it at all (couldn't hear it nearly as loud as normally).

I've used this to mount my audible when I was still jumping with a fairwind helmet. It works equally well on Solo audibles, since they are the same size.

I've heard stories of people losing their audible by having it loose in their helmet, and losing it when it fell out of the helmet after taking it off on the ground (often the first thing on the to-do list, especially on a hot day). Better spend a few minutes and a 5-cent stow to ensure you DON'T lose your €220 toy that way. ^_^

I have a Benny Half helmet and I made a pocket for my ProTrack in cordura that closes with velcro.
It attaches to the helmet with velcro at the same places the inner liner/foam attaches.

So it has both male and female velcro on opposite sides.

As long as the foam is still inside the helmet my ProTrack is safe.

I think you could do the same on the ProTec helmet, it also has velcroattachments for the foam?