pertierr

What to replace after 6yr break

Hi all,

It was 6yr since I last jumped, I am starting this year again from scratch (AFF). I've missed it way too much and now the DZ is 30min away instead of 3hours. I have a rig which I won't be jumping for a while until I get off student gear, but it's been packed for 6yrs. It's got <300 jumps on it so it appears in very good condition, but I have some questions as to what to expect or make sure to request when I take it in to get inspected. I know the rigger will know what to look for, but I still would like to educate myself as much as I can. I would also like to make sure that if I have to wait months for some component that I know as early as possible.

The rig is a Javelin J4 with Safire(1) 185 main and Raven Dash 200 reserve and Cypres 1, all built in 2001.

- I'm counting on having to buy a new Cypres(as opposed to just sending it in) since this is at 12 years is this correct?

- What components should I make sure are replaced? Reline both canopies? Closing loop? Slinks? PC's, etc?

- 12 years sounds pretty old naively speaking, should I be expecting to replace the whole thing?

I unpacked the main and it looked fine(no bugs, or anything obviously wrong), although it did stay in the bagged shape for..er..quite some time.

I'm very curious if/how the reserve will pop after all this time.

Thanks in advance.

Take it to a rigger and have them inspect it. Let them know it's been sitting around for 6 years. Replace what they recommend you replace.

Edit:

I'm very curious if/how the reserve will pop after all this time.

When you get it to the rigger, have them let you fire the reserve. It won't come out of the bag, but it's still fun ;)