Nigel

Changing activation altitude on Cypre 2

Anyone else had difficulty increasing the activation altitude on a Cypres 2? I want to increase it to 950ft ('A2'), have tried every permutation of the instructions. SN is 57962, DoM is 2009. Can't even get it to display 'A0' after the climb count, SN and service date display sequence
I'm about to conclude the instructions in the manual are wrong, which seems improbable....

This feature is only available on units manufactured in 2012 or that have had their 4/8 year service done in 2012.

It's avialable from Jan.2013
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

This feature is only available on units manufactured in 2012 or that have had their 4/8 year service done in 2012.

It's avialable from Jan.2013

That's great! I'll be glad to have a Cypres 2 where I can adjust the activation altitude. A couple extra hundred feet will certainly be nice to have, since I don't pull low anymore. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Question answered - glad to know not mad or more stupid than usual. Thanks Phreezone and Deyan. My first 4 year service is due soon, I'll add 200ft when I get it back.

Offset?

You can take an expert model and bump the activation altitude up to (say) 1500' AGL using the offset functionality, but now you've moved the "does not fire below" altitude up to 880' AGL. If that's what you really want to do, drive on. Just know that there are second-order effects.

Ken

but now you've moved the "does not fire below" altitude up to 880' AGL. If that's what you really want to do, drive on. Just know that there are second-order effects.

+1
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Starting with Cypres 2's that have been manufactured or serviced since Feb 13, the user can increase the activation altitude by 100' increments for a total of 9 increments.

Instructions are found in the newest instruction manual.

http://cypres-usa.com/userguide/CYPRES_2_users_guide_English_01-2013.pdf

page 21. As with most things, checking with the manufacturer is the best source.

this is NOT the same as offset.

Offset?

You can take an expert model and bump the activation altitude up to (say) 1500' AGL using the offset functionality, but now you've moved the "does not fire below" altitude up to 880' AGL. If that's what you really want to do, drive on. Just know that there are second-order effects.

Ken

:D:D
I was asking Nigel...quizzing him to see if he understood the problem with that. Thanks anyway.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Don't be secretive.

We would be well served to have a complete discussion on the pros and cons of increasing the activation altitude.

I'm hearing a lot of folks are wanting to do just that.

I think the point he was trying to make is that there's quite a difference between changing the activation altitude on your AAD (if that's an option for you), and using the DZ offset function on your AAD (if that's an option for you). In one case, you're changing the activation altitude while every other critical function remains "stock." In the other case, you're shifting the entire range of critical altitudes "up."

The OP was really just asking a technical question about his AAD, but I guess this thread can evolve into a philosophical debate about the "right" AAD activation altitude if that's what we want to do.

Ken

Offset?

Ken

I was asking Nigel...quizzing him to see if he understood the problem with that. Thanks anyway.

I'm not sure what the problem with that is. Could you explain?
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Don't be secretive.

We would be well served to have a complete discussion on the pros and cons of increasing the activation altitude.

Secretive?
No...just talking with Nigel.
Yes, off-line with him would have bean a better idea.

You guys are doing quite well with the topic at hand, Mark.

If you want my opinion:
Set it for however high you want. Just let every body on your jump know what your pull altitude is going to be and, since it's different than the norm, let everybody know what your AAD firing altitude is.

Is everyone going to do that?
Hell no...now we got problems.

Standards...standards...standards.
Ad hoc doesn't work.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Offset?

Ken

Thanks Popsjumper. I'd already thought of, and discarded the offset approach. But maybe for the wrong reason - I thought it was a 'before every jump' procedure, so never bothered. But your reason is sounder...

Don't be secretive.

Secretive?
No...just talking with Nigel.
Yes, off-line with him would have bean a better idea.

You guys are doing quite well with the topic at hand, Mark.

If you want my opinion:
Set it for however high you want. Just let every body on your jump know what your pull altitude is going to be and, since it's different than the norm, let everybody know what your AAD firing altitude is.

Is everyone going to do that?
Hell no...now we got problems.

Standards...standards...standards.
Ad hoc doesn't work.

I get everyone on the load sharing their pull altitudes. Not sure I care if their Cypri go off at 950 or 1150 instead of 750ft... Am I missing something?

Do you use a Cypres?

I have one. I turn it on before I jump. Do you mean that or do you mean do I wait for it to cut my reserve loop?
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Offset?

Ken

Here's one I can imagine.. let's say you have an open main canopy with a malfunction and your "hard deck" is 1500 ft. You cutaway, potentially slightly lower then 1500ft (No RSL or malfunctioning RSL) and have issues opening your reserve. It is plausible that you will not speed up and reach the activation requirements (78 mph?) by 880ft, at which point you are hooped unless you can get that reserve out on your own as it will no longer activate at all from the AAD. Just a new jumper thinking about it though....

Here's one I can imagine.. let's say you have an open main canopy with a malfunction and your "hard deck" is 1500 ft. You cutaway, potentially slightly lower then 1500ft (No RSL or malfunctioning RSL) and have issues opening your reserve. It is plausible that you will not speed up and reach the activation requirements (78 mph?) by 880ft, at which point you are hooped unless you can get that reserve out on your own as it will no longer activate at all from the AAD. Just a new jumper thinking about it though....

You nailed it. You cutaway at some altitude that puts you reaching 78 mph at 850' AGL. But because you lied to your CYPRES and told it that the DZ was 750' higher than where you took off from, the CYPRES now believes that you're only at 100' AGL. The manual tells us that below (approximately) 130' AGL, the CYPRES won't fire, since it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

If, however, you use the activation altitude adjustment (rather than the DZ offset), the CYPRES still "knows" where the ground really is, and the 130' critical altitude is still at 130'.

Ken

If, however, you use the activation altitude adjustment (rather than the DZ offset), the CYPRES still "knows" where the ground really is, and the 130' critical altitude is still at 130'.

Ken

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the opportunity to think that over...

, the CYPRES now believes that you're only at 100' AGL. The manual tells us that below (approximately) 130' AGL, the CYPRES won't fire, since it wouldn't make a difference anyway.
Ken

I was always wondering about rationale behind this, why would they even bother to set up this 'no fire' altitude. Surelyi it cant make things worse if it fires below 130 agl, are they trying to save a cutter for the estate of the unlucky skydiver? Can anyone explain?