rgoper

What Is Your Theory...

...to whom the big bad sniper is on the eastern seaboard? (DC/VA) whom ever they may be, in my opinion the person must have been trained either by the military, or some other covert team. one thing is sure, bad as it may sound, this person is a good shot, gets away fast, and seems to always "have a back-up plan" so i'm profiling male, approx. 25-30 years of age, caucasian, maybe 5'8" short blond hair, green/blue eyes, ex-military with an "other than honorable discharge"

what are your thoughts? perhaps we can help bring this person, whether it be male, or female in to justice. how would you profile the "sniper" as per your observations, what you've heard on the news. this person is getting to the "hannibal lechter" stage in his game, leaving taunting clues, and messages for the police. make no mistake, this person will be caught, they'll make that "fatal slip" and get busted.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

While it's VERY possible that the sniper has specific military training, it's also possible that he has never been in the military at all. There are people out there that discover they have a natural ability at something, then fall in love with doing it, and become VERY good. Sergeant Alvin C. York, Medal of Honor Recipient in World War One, was already an incredible shot with a rifle BEFORE he became a soldier. ALmost anyone has the resources to learn how to be a very accurate shot at long range, it's just those who take the time and interest to become that good are few and far between.

BTW - I think the theory that there are two people is very thin. I am thinking one shooter.
Arrive Safely

John

Female, 50 - 55 YOA, caucasian, dirty blonde hair (probably out of a bottle), 5'6", 165 lbs, ambitious as all hell. A resident of New York state, but makes frequent and extended trips to the DC area. Has been repeatedly humiliated in public by philandering husband and has suffered in silence. Feels rejected by daughter whose overwhelming criteria for college was to get as far away from her 'rents as she could.

Course, I could be way off here. Just my theory.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

ALmost anyone has the resources to learn how to be a very accurate shot at long range

agreed. but what makes me think some sort of additional training is the "stealth" of this particular individual. in quick, out quick. that's hard to pick up on all by yourself. my son is in the military, i can be at home in my office, and next thing you know, there he is, out of the blue, he does it just to give me the creeps. and i'm a fairly observative, perceptive individual, ya gotta be pretty good to sneak up on me, in fact i'm used to sneaking up on others. (and no, it's not me)
--Richard--

"melt the guns"
xtc

I have no theory -- but this horrific matter is another example of the bizarre, and deadly fascination America has with guns and violence.

And another thing ... "sniper" is not an appropriate term to describe this person. A sniper is someone who kills the bad guys. This person is a cold-blooded murderer.

As an outsider (US i mean) i would go for a 30-35yrs white married male (possibly divorced), NO army training, maybe a deer hunter.
I think he is a bit of a drifter job-wise and may have tried for a position in the forces.
I am not too sure about the latest shooting though,
If he was not killing with the .223 you could understand him using a nato round,
i think that is one of your copycats..i could be wrong though :o
i think he looks for his "hide" before he finds a target, and works out his escape route from there.
The guy works alone imho but has perfected a quick getaway.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Get over it Iflyme . It is a few people that are doing the killing and the majority of gun owners are good people that break no laws . I say lets Lets get rid of THE BAD PRESS THAT ONLY REPORTS HALF THE NEWS and that does not want to report that concealed weapon states have less violent crime . BTW if I was a criminal I would want people like you around because unarmed people make easy marks for criminals . Arm everyone and the crime rates will go down . You will never stop the killing , just make for more brutal headlines like " person hit 20 times with a bat before dying " or instead of 2000 killed by guns a year it might read 10,000 stabbed to death every year . I think all the anti gun people should move to Canada or some other country that hates guns and gun owners .

Sorry his shooting skills border on average for that type of round and range, no special training required. most anybody can do this in less than an afternoon of practice with "out of the box" components.
This guys skills are picking a position to ambush an unaware victim and get away without any clues.
Oh and its this Americans(mexican-canadian decent) Fascination with, among many other things, firearms that allows me to know this stuff without having to swallow what the media force feeds us.
This country has a many people with many different fascinations for many things. After we create something the rest of the world is dying to jump and get a piece of it, unless your particular dictator says NO.
I'm done ranting and I'm going to go back to fascinating on Hot, thong wearing chicks riding harleys and jet skis in the sun near my DZ. You can go back to griping about americas gun love, at least until you think someone has to do some third world famine or tyrant intervention and believe its the U.S. s moral obligation because we have too much wheat or corn or harleys.

Arm everyone and the crime rates will go down

c'mon guys, this isn't about weapons control, it's about us trying to help catch this person. if we can all pool our resources, and think a little bit, i betcha we could catch this clown. i mean, lookit, we're all skydivers, and we're all from all over the usa, so hey, let's give it a shot! we could lock a bad person up, AND get skydiving some good press! :)
--Richard--

Canada actually has a similar amount of guns to the US relative to the number of people there. They just don't shoot each other with much frequency. It isn't guns that are the problem with America, it's the people using them that are the problem.

I was a criminal I would want people like you around because unarmed people make easy marks for criminals . Arm everyone and the crime rates will go down .

An armed society is a polite society. Or maybe that just makes for a scary place to live.

Cheers,
NewGuy B|

Flyhi, you cracked me up! LOL, yes, Hilary is one possibility...

As to the murderer/sniper...

1. Pattern of shooting would indicate either a stable job which is an "outside" kind of job, or one which has delivery and is a solo kind of thing - someone who works alone and has no "set" time to be at point A or B... earns a medium income for the area
2. Lives within 5 miles of the first 5 shootings.
3. Not necessarily military trained, but someone who has hunted extensively.
4. Lives in a house which is quite "squared away"
5. White male, 30-40 years old, no prior arrests.
6. Married
7. Obsessive type personality - probably some sort of "stalker" behavior in his past.
8. Very neat in appearance - clean, well groomed. One of the things which will be important to him is the concept "a place for everything, and everything in his place".
9. Is not well respected in his job, life, family. Tends to feel powerless in his world. May be a child of someone in law enforcement.
10. The tarot card is a tease - there is no "majical" conenction - just something to "scare" people with.
11. Above average intelligence, but an under-achiever in most respects.
12. Will either suicide or get suicided by cop when they finally get close.
13. They will find a ton of "Soldier of Fortune" type stuff in his home, as well as additional weapons.
14. He is not a Timothy McVey type...isn't part of the militia (would not have been able to become part of that organization well. He'd run it his way, despite not knowing what he's doing. I know what I mean, but I can't express it well.).

This is a person who is controlling an entire region - not just a city. He pays great attention to the media/police, and makes sure that they are wrong...schools safe? Shoot at a school. No weekends? Shoots on a weekend. All adults? Shoot a child. The victim selection is not important - gender, race, age, etc. - is not important to him at all. The place of shooting is not important - other than it's a place that can allow for a quick get away. He is too controlling to allow himself to become the "victim" of the police (which is why I think #12).

He has expanded his area because of the huge hue and cry of a military support aircraft being in his original area. He is demonstrating that no matter what the feds and locals throw at him, he can strike and get away with it.

I do not believe that he is working in a team (only 18% of serial killers do so) but if he is, it is a male/male partnership...

Just my thoughts. It should be interesting to see how accurate we are if (yes, IF) he is ever caught.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Assuming this is not linked to Al Queda...

No prior military or Police training (like someone else said, from what Ive heard most of the shots have been less than spectacular marksmanship)

Under 25

White male

Using his vehicle as a shooting platform in most of the shootings

Michelle seemed to have a pretty good handle on the psychological stuff (underachiever etc)

I will say he's been pretty meticulous in his planning. Seems to have the insert and exfil parts of the operation down. And he does see this as an operation.

Hey, John...

Curious as to why you think he's under 25? And why do you preface it with "assuming it is not linked to Al Queda (while I don't think it is, I'm interested in your thoughts thereon).

And I also agree with you, the lack of casings found would indicate he uses his vehicle as a platform, because he simply does not have the time to retrieve the brass ejected.

I do have a difficult time calling him a sniper, but there really isn't anything else coined and commonly understood to call him, you know? He's not a spree killer, and not a serial killer, according to the FBI's definitions. He is far out of bounds with what we normally understand as a murderer. What he is doing is sniping, as distasteful as that is to those who understand what it is snipers do...so, what shall we call him?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

The Al Queda thing comes from something I read about AQ planning acts of terror on a smaller and more personal level. I dont remember where I read it and in what context, but it does seem to fit. WTC was on a grand scale and the average citizen in Podunk Kansas might not relate too well, but everybody relates to gassing up the car, shopping at Home Depot and the like.

Under 25 because most wannabe cop/sniper/SWAT/ military types are in that age range. The shooting skills he has exhibited so far could be a product of too much Silent Scope (a video arcade sniper game) and a few hours of range time.

As to what to call him...I dunno. Sniper is the most convenient term and easily recognizable to most people. I and most reasonably intelligent people understand the difference in a professional sniper and a nutball sniper without having to coin a new term. I dont get too worked up about it. Hell, my own administration refuses to call me a sniper. They prefer the 'softer' more PC term 'marksman'.

I'll hafta go look up the FBI definition of 'serial killer'. Why dont they define this guy as a serial killer?

JC

Podunk Kansas

Using Street Atlas, I found a Podunk, Connecticut, one in Michigan, one in New York, and one in Vermont. Couldn't find one in my home state of Kansas. Just thought I'd let you know.:P

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

[

And I also agree with you, the lack of casings found would indicate he uses his vehicle as a platform, because he simply does not have the time to retrieve the brass ejected.
Brass deflectors, used to keep the shells from flying into blades when shooting from helos, would put the empty at your elbow if shooting in the prone position. Some people have brass catchers made of a net type thing that you guessed it!
Or he could be useing a bolt action.
But if I was him I would be useing either an REM xp(100?) not sure or TC contender . Two long barreled hand guns that can be custom chambered in any manageable round, hidden under a jacket and are no longer than the large size MAG lite.

I do have a difficult time calling him a sniper, but there really isn't anything else coined and commonly understood to call him, you know? He's not a spree killer, and not a serial killer, according to the FBI's definitions. He is far out of bounds with what we normally understand as a murderer. What he is doing is sniping, as distasteful as that is to those who understand what it is snipers do...so, what shall we call him?
I haven't ruled out that its a team of low budget terrorist snipers working in two person, driver shooter and more than one pair, al queda types.

Ciels-
Michele