RyanFYF

packing a "full fitting" dbag?

I have a saber 2 170 in my new rig (vector3 v348)

I am REALLY struggling to put the canopy in the dbag. it is so tight of a fit and I end up slipping around and making a mess and just starting over. Any tips for a full fitting canpopy sliding into a dbag easier? Total newb.

Practice and paitence!

Maintain control from the underside at all times,...

Find Frazier and have him watch you! He's generally sleeping anyways or just start hanging around the packing area again and ask that someone watch you, I know this is a very frustrating time....

You wil get it, it may take a while though...

;)
C

New Vector you say???

Call Mark K at UPT and see if you can make a factory tour, while there see if anyone has free time, if that dosen't work walk across the street, actually around the corner and visit with PD...

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Practice and paitence!

Maintain control from the underside at all times,...

Find Frazier and have him watch you! He's generally sleeping anyways or just start hanging around the packing area again and ask that someone watch you, I know this is a very frustrating time....

You wil get it, it may take a while though...

;)
C

New Vector you say???

Call Mark K at UPT and see if you can make a factory tour, while there see if anyone has free time, if that dosen't work walk across the street, actually around the corner and visit with PD...

thanks Chris, I just might do all of the above!

I've got a V3 348 as well, a 190 is too tight for me, 170 is perfect.

I actually have a Safire2 169 and the rig couldn't look more perfectly sized.

It's all in the packing, both the main and reserve. You mentioned that it gets away from you, to fix that as said above, practice and practice some more. Make sure your packjob has an even distribution of bulk and it will look great!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I am REALLY struggling to put the canopy in the dbag. it is so tight of a fit and I end up slipping around and making a mess and just starting over. Any tips for a full fitting canpopy sliding into a dbag easier? Total newb.

Your problem is pretty common in our sport today. The 348 is exactly the same size as the next size up (the 349) except the depth (or thickness) in the area of the main pack tray.

The 348 is 5" and the 349 is 5.5".

Visually the rigs look almost identical. When looking at the rigs side by side you almost have to use a ruler to tell the difference. But that 1/2 inch difference is why you are and likely will always struggle with bagging your main. The sizing chart shows the SA 170 as full fitting in the 348 and the 349 shows it as standard fitting. If you chose to put a full fitting reserve in as well, then that makes it even more difficult.

Personally I think rigs with standard fitting size look much nicer and I know they're much more comfortable on your back and they certainly pack easier.

There is also some debate about how the reserve deploys with two full fitting canopies inside the rig especially when deploying the reserve while the main is still in the container.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

yeah, I liked the idea of buying a rig that had a "full fitting" canopy so that I can downsize to the 150 (1:1.1) when I am comfortably ready. the 170 is 1:0.9 so It should be great to learn rears on. and I'm always the last to land lol.

I guess I will just continue to practice, (I did get it in the bag once and haven't touched it since) and probably keep paying the pros to pack it at the DZ. Hopefully watching them will click a light bulb on for me

Try using your knees more.
For example, once you have the canopy "cocooned" slide the d-bag under the canopy, so that the top of the bag is halfway up the canopy.
Kneel on the canopy so that your knees also anchor the flap.
Fold the canopy in half (towards your belly). Grab the under side of the canopy and hold the nose closed.
Stuff the middle of the canopy deep into the top corners of the bag.
Fold the remaining top portion of the canopy towards the pilot-chute and stuff it into the top corners of the bag.
For the last fewminutes, your knees have been clamping the canopy to the d-bag, clamping the canopy and d-bag to the floor, squeezing out air and preventing the half-packed canopy from wandering off.
Only now can you lift your knees.
Maintain a firm grip with one hand on the bag and the other hand at the bottom of the canopy.
The next step is very important!
Push the slider towards the bottom skin of the canopy, then fold it into the middle of the bag.
Rest the bridle attachment on the floor as you use you r weight to push the slider and the rest of the canopy idepper into the bag and pull the flap closed. It helps if you put a knee on either side of the d-bag ... to prevent it from wandering off.
If you are packing a tandem, try kneeling on the canopy for 20 seconds, just to squeeze out more air.
Wrap a rubber band around the first line stow.
Pause.
Breath deeply.
Shake out your shoulders.
Admire the sunset.
Stow the rest of the lines.

yeah, I liked the idea of buying a rig that had a "full fitting" canopy so that I can downsize to the 150 (1:1.1) when I am comfortably ready.....

You are very brave to admit that on this forum. Get ready for the shit that is about to be dumped on you.

Newer jumpers often make the mistake of buying an ill fitting container in an effort to avoid the need to purchase another rig down the road. Most people average about 100 jumps per year. And since most experienced people will suggest that you make at least 3-500 jumps on a canopy before even considering downsizing means (if you do what is advised by the majority of people) this rig should last you close to five years.

The problem seems to be: people who are planning their downsizing of canopies before they've even learned how to fly the brand new one they just got.

There is a price we pay for everything we choose to do and that is never more true than in our sport. I truly hope your only price paid is the hassle of shoving that canopy in that too small of a bag and container.

Good luck.

.Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

The PD videos helped me a lot when I first learned to pack. Really watch the videos and what he does with his hands/arms/legs. One thing that helped me was that once you begin squeezing out the air for the s-folding process, you can never let go of the canopy and lose top skin tension until it is in the bag. Anytime you let go, air gets in and you lose clean folds.

Part 1http://youtu.be/vhEHdKemr1M
Part 2 http://youtu.be/jqNsFPbKIw8
Part 3 http://youtu.be/pHSpnXCShs0

Larger canopy
Part 1 http://youtu.be/5JiAegc8EOw
Part 2 http://youtu.be/qyM_LkW8DVI

I have a Sabre 2 190 that I put in a V350, which is considered a full fit. This is what I learned to pack on and it was a major struggle for me. What I eventually did was to buy a dbag from a Vector where the 190 is considered a standard fit. Made it a little easier to get the canopy into the dbag, and still easy to get the dbag into the container. Obviously you might want to consult with some more experienced folk than myself if you decide to go this route.

However, I think what really helped me was when I realized I didn't have to do all the folds at once and stick the canopy in the bag in one swoop. What I eventually started doing is what I think riggerrob is explaining. I make one fold (the middle one), stick that in the bag, make another fold, stick that in the back, then the slider end folder and stick that in. When I do this, my knees never leave the slider until it is time to do the slider fold. While I may lose cool points for this method, it has worked for me and all my openings have been good (in my very limited experience). Knock on wood.

Thanks guys. That makes total sence. I definitely look forward to trying it out. I've been standing over the packers every time the repack for me and just watching and asking some questions. I love the amount of help everyone is willing to put forth in this sport! No one tells me "this is the correct or only way" just what works for them and that makes me feel a lot more comfortable in moving forward with practicing.

yeah, I liked the idea of buying a rig that had a "full fitting" canopy so that I can downsize to the 150 (1:1.1) when I am comfortably ready.....

You are very brave to admit that on this forum. Get ready for the shit that is about to be dumped on you.

Newer jumpers often make the mistake of buying an ill fitting container in an effort to avoid the need to purchase another rig down the road. Most people average about 100 jumps per year. And since most experienced people will suggest that you make at least 3-500 jumps on a canopy before even considering downsizing means (if you do what is advised by the majority of people) this rig should last you close to five years.

The problem seems to be: people who are planning their downsizing of canopies before they've even learned how to fly the brand new one they just got.

There is a price we pay for everything we choose to do and that is never more true than in our sport. I truly hope your only price paid is the hassle of shoving that canopy in that too small of a bag and container.

Good luck.

.Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

You got it a little off. I didn't buy anything planning on downsizing later. I bought this used and it already had a 170 in it. I was ordering a container with a 150 when this opportunity came along. Then I decided to keep the 170 in it since it was already there. Not the other way around.

I'm a rigger and had been a packer in my early days. I've packed a lot of parachutes. When I got my new Crossfire 2 a few years ago I was astonished at how bad I was at packing this thing. It was ugly. After a while I decided to get back to basics. I watched the PD videos and the thing that helped me more than anything else was the way he folded the material under to get the cocoon shape. It took me a couple of tries but it worked. Somehow, keeping that material organized made the difference. I also paid a lot of attention to the way he kept things under control with his knees.

Hi Ryan

I can totally understand your frustration. Recently, I bought a new zpx canopy and the first couple of times I thought I'd never be able to pack it.
I pack exactly like rigerrob describes in his post. It took me about 10 - 15 packjobs at home till I could do it without swearing and sweating all over.

Practice at home to avoid frustration at the DZ.

I'm going to be yet another person to recommend the PD videos as they've helped me with my packing technique a lot. One of the best nuggets that I ever got was to pull the dbag around the canopy versus trying to stuff the canopy into the dbag. The canopy stays together better and the dbag slides over it.

I love the pd videos. Probably watches them 100 times since I took my packing class several months ago. I just wished he was packing a 150 in that bag. Would be more of the headache I'm dealing with.

But I'm down right now from oral surgery so once the pain goes away ill have lots of free time to pack and pack and pack :)

Your biggest problem is that your still paying the packers to do it.... you learn packing by actually packing. Yes it's frustrating, yes it sucks when you first start, but you don't get better by watching others do it (although you do pick up some good tricks). But YOU still have to do it. My first canopy in my rig was tighter then seven hells as well. Spent a lot of time at home practicing the method riggerrob explained(putting half the canopy in at a time)..And after 20 or so packs, I wasn't completely sweating through my shirt :D

But I will also vouch for the PD videos. They were extremely helpful. Pause them, pack in time with the video, watch his tricks for managing all the material. And keep at er'

I wanna go fast!

I've also noticed that each packer runs my bridal different. I think I know which way I liked best but should there be more thought put into that before practicing a million times?

Thanks for all the support by the way. I love the dropzone.com family!

okie dokie, I have now officially jumped my own pack job twice in a row. Getting more help from Amanda in her pack class was exactly what I needed to get the job done. Watching her throw the main in the bag like it was nothing with out ever straining was enough of a kick in the ass to realize it's just me. Now I get it in the bag everytime and so far had two excellent on heading openings. Thanks for all the help everyone! ;)