AirTime

What kind of car/truck should a sky diver drive?

I have a 2002 Toyota Highlander and have really enjoyed it. She has over 15,000 miles in 10 months.

I really miss my 97 Mustang Convertable though. She was COOL.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Whatever you do, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, buy a jeep. They are just about the most unreliable SUV there is. Yep, they are awsome in the snow, dirt, mud, whatever but once you get about 100,000 miles forget it. It's all down hill from there. I'm speaking from experience. I made the mistake of owning a '87 Jeep Cherokee and then my brother made the same mistake with his '98 Grand Cherokee. Don't Do It! Get a Subaru. The boxer engine in those things will last just about forever with very few problems.
J
YSD#0009

but a free militia membership and a henweigh

Um... What's a henweigh? (I'm a Yankee.):)And... Just kidding about the mullet thing... B|

What's a henweigh? three pounds. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Know what ya mean about the mullet thing. The funniest thing about driving around in an El C, all the owners wave like they think we're in a Corvette or Porshe club. Everybody wanted to talk about it. Great conversation piece.

The last time I tried cheap I ended up with something very unreliable.

Well, you didn't say that reliability was important...;) If that's the case, get a Toyota or a Honda. I can't afford either one, but everyone I know who has them raves about 'em - with regular maintainence they seem to run forever.

Well, you don't need to impress the chics since you are already a cool skydiver. So, I would go with something that is reliable and gets good gas mileage.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I really like my little Hyundai Accent. It's a 2002 which means I have a LOT of warranty left so I don't have to worry about unexpected expenses. It gets great mileage, and it's a hatchback so it's pretty roomy. It was quite cheap for a brand new car...I think about 11,000 or 12,000.
=======================
"What I want is what I've not got ,but what I need is all around me"-DMB
Meghan

If that's the case, get a Toyota or a Honda. I can't afford either one, but everyone I know who has them raves about 'em - with regular maintainence they seem to run forever.

Not only Toyota or Honda. I've bought my second Saturn. Very reliable, 35mpg, and cheaper than a Honda/Toyota. Drove my last Saturn for 160K miles. Pick up a used one with 30K miles, 2/3 years old. Not that expensive.

Well, you don't need to impress the chics...

Guys always want to impress chics. Even when they are married and can't do anything about it, they want to impress chics. We can't help it. I thinks its genetic.

The Paranoids are after me! The Paranoids are after me!

This is my 4th Toyota. First was an 86 Corolla...still onthe road with over 300,000 miles. Totaled out a Camry in a front end crash and only got bruises. Sold the last Camry because I needed a convertable. Thus the Mustang. Insurance is high and she drank gas but she sure was fun to drive. I got the Highlander because I had had it with kids crawling over me to get in the back seat. I have 2 years before my oldest gets the Highlander and I get another convertable.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Guys always want to impress chics

Yes, but what I'm saying is that you already impress the chics just because you are a skydiver. Just get a reasonably priced car, and then put a skydiving sticker on the back, and you'll impress them with no problem.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yep, I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box

Yes, but see...you're a skydiver, it doesn't matter! :P

I like the "something you can pay cash for" approach. If you can't, then something you can pay off early. That way you don't have to have collision insurance if you don't want to. Think of it -- fewer bills on a monthly basis, to remind you about what you don't completely own. :D
I have a Mitsubishi Galant that's been reliable so far. I bought it used with low mileage. If you get used, pay attention to the repair records in Consumer Reports, the information at www.cartalk.com (they have surveys that tell you a lot about perception), and what exactly you're going to use the car for. Also, what you WANT. If you WANT an SUV, you'll find a way to dislike anything else you buy, and end up making a bad deal to get rid of it. If a car is just a tool to you, that's different from if it's an extension of your soul. Me, I have no heart, and no soul, so the Galant is just fine :)
Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Where's BillVon? This is where you're supposed to get shamed into buying a Honda Hybrid!

What do YOU want? If it's nothing fancy, go new so you can get a nice factory warranty. If you want a Mercedes, just get an older one.

I've had good luck with used Hertz/Avis cars, they're still under warranty and although they've been driven hard, at least they changed the oil:)