kevin922

Winter jumping advice for a southerner?

Ok,

So I'm a weenie. I admit it, I don't like jumping in anything less than 60 degrees (ground temp).

Problem #1: My birdman suit comes next week (11 weeks after ordering)

Problem #2: I live in virginia
which leads me to..

Problem #3: The highs are around 55 :(

so that brings me back to my weenie issue. I need some tips on what helps with cold weather... I know "layers" but what about gloves? The gloves I jump with block wind but aren't that warm, the ones that are warm restrict your dexterity, I heard there were some electric ones somewhere which sound neat...

What about those neoprine (sp) ski masks, do those things work very well?

My feet, hands, and face are the parts that suffer so much.. it sucks not being able to pack your canopy b/c you can't feel your hands! :)

Any help is appreciated.

Kevin

When it gets frosty in Kansas, I usually wear Nomex mechanic's gloves with 2 pair latex surgical gloves underneath.

For head/face, I wear my Bonehead Mindwarp and a turtleneck covering my entire neck. Neck gators work well also. Only exposed skin is mouth/nose--no big deal.

Feet- ski socks underneath combat boots, w/silk sock liners to prevent blisters..

rest of body--as many layers as I can put on and still shoe-horn myself into my RW suit. I have plenty of GI issue thermals, I usually wear 2 pair under my other clothes.

I also keep a wool blanket in the hangar to wrap up in when I am not actively packing/dirt diving.

55--that's a heatwave! :P

first off, waaaaaaa!!;) On my last flight to alti it was +5 fht. >:(. that is likely why it was the last...

I just got waterski gloves w/ leather palm sand neoprene back. Get some, they rock. Make sure they're the thin ones and not all neo if you still want handle feel. I guess face mask would do too but in your tem even a knitted neck warmer will do a lot.

Lycra/spandex longjohns and top under a T shirt and light sweatpants. Next level (if needed) turtleneck and windpants. Next layer yey (told ya it gets cold) sweater and replace sweats with thicker sweats.

On your head wear a fullface or a head sock.

I gotta run now, I'm curious to what others will add

the Dave
...lin Winterpeg

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I've jumped during 2 winters so far and here's a few tips I got from fellow jumpers..
One thing that helps is to take a pair of those plastic gloves you can get for free from most gas-stations, and wear those underneath your normal gloves.
Your hands will be real sweaty, but will also stay way warmer then when wearing a single pair of gloves.
Do make sure that wearing something extra inside you gloves doesn't make you lose your grip...

The trick is (just like clothing) to wear layers..
Serveral thin long-sleeve shirts on top of each other underneath your jump/birdman-suit will keep you warmer then a big sweater (and probably fit better underneath everything then a thick woolen sweater will)

I see quite a few people put some vaseline on their nose and cheeks...never tried that before though..I hate putting stuff on my face...kinda like putting on make-up...sounds gay [:/]

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I've jumped during 2 winters so far and here's a few tips I got from fellow jumpers..
One thing that helps is to take a pair of those plastic gloves you can get for free from most gas-stations, and wear those underneath your normal gloves.
Your hands will be real sweaty, but will also stay way warmer then when wearing a single pair of gloves.
Do make sure that wearing something extra inside you gloves doesn't make you lose your grip...

The trick is (just like clothing) to wear layers..
Serveral thin long-sleeve shirts on top of each other underneath your jump/birdman-suit will keep you warmer then a big sweater (and probably fit better underneath everything then a thick woolen sweater will)

I see quite a few people put some vaseline on their nose and cheeks...never tried that before though..I hate putting stuff on my face...kinda like putting on make-up...sounds gay [:/]

What the hell will vaseline do for cold weather?

Is that just to keep things from getting chapped or something?

Ummm... move to California, Arizona or Florida? :ph34r:

Seriously though... the neoprene face masks do work well.

I've found that thin thermal underwear (the expensive kind), a turtleneck long sleeve shirt, quality sweats or workout tights, Isotoner knockoff gloves lined with Thinsulate and thick socks keep me toasty even in the worst cold California can throw at me. YMMV...

You're all a bunch of babies! :P

One pair of socks, Jeans, T-shirt with a sweatshirt over it, protec helmet, goggles. No gloves.

I jumped wearing that last winter when it was 30 on the ground.

wussies....

B|

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Wear Chilis wickable top and long underwear, with maybe some jeans and a rugby shirt and maybe a sweater (similar to ski layers). I wear a full-face helmet and then those biker gloves. The gloves are thin in the fingers, but then those stretch synthetic fabric gloves from WalMart work well as liners.

With the jumpsuit on top, the above seems to work down to 35 or 40F, which is pretty close to my limit anyway (on the ground). Of course, temps at altitude will be around or below 0, depending upon the weather up high.

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

You're all a bunch of babies! :P
One pair of socks, Jeans, T-shirt with a sweatshirt over it, protec helmet, goggles. No gloves.
B|

Sounds like great fun untill you grab ahold of the plane during exit, and your hands freeze onto the metal and you rip half your skin off :S
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Just a note about the face mask:
Make sure you are not breathing into the fabric. It is better to have the face exposed to dry cold than a cold wet fabric.

About the layers thing:
Don't overdo it. It doesn't matter how many layers you put on if you have to squeeze it all into a tight jumpsuit.

Probably why some American forces on winter exercise in northern Norway put on clothes to the point where they had difficulties walking, but where still freezing.

Try this:
skin|wool|something windtight if the jumpsuit isn't|jumpsuit|cold air
---
PCSS #10

I have to second the latex surgical gloves. Put on a pair under your normal skydiving gloves and your hands will stay nice and toasty.

Now, something everyone else forgot (unless I missed reading it) is your wrists. Putting on warm gloves and a long-sleeve thermal shirt isn't going to help your hands if your wrists are exposed to the air. Make sure that you tuck your sleeve into your glove or the cold air will chill the blood before it gets to your hand.

I noticed it really does make a difference after trying it when someone pointed it out to me last year.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Why don't you move to Alberta and find something to bitch about;). At Edmonton Skydive Center, if its warmer than 14 they jump. T-shirt, sweats, jumpsuit and gloves is all we need. But if you wanna wear a mask, take a ski-mask and some plastic guns. Makes for good video:P

I got nuthin

Weenie, yeah, at the very least. But anyways....
Why the rubber and plastic gloves work so well is that wearing that accompanied with normal gloves creates a vapor barrier. If you can find some gloves that have a vapor barrier sewn right in, such as firefighter gloves, you will be fine. Though I dont reccomend ff gloves since they are very bulky for heat, but just an example. Some skiing gloves use vapor barriers.
A runners windbreaker works well as the last layer to block all air, again vapor barrier.
Try some of these you puss....:P

Be carfule with the neoprine, in my experience, yes it works really well, to the point of sweating, once the is moisture in them, it gets really cold very quickly. Lesson learned on 20 degree weather mornings, duck hunting. I would have to agree with the latex glove idea for the hands, because of the aformentioned vapor barrier, and for your face/head, nothing beats the old style cotton/wool ski mask. The fiber in those actually wicks away the moisture from your skin. Just a thought;)

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle