gianquittia

Psycho packing fast opening

Hi,
I just got a new safire 2 145, and although I can propack zero-p canopies with 100 plus jumps I have extreme difficulty with new canopies. So, I have been psycho packing it to get it in the bag. My openings have been pretty hard to instant. I may have been stowing with too short of stows and getting line dump, but I stowed the same way when I propacked my Safire 2 169 (100 jumps on canopy) and had super slow, super comfy 700-900 feet openings. Here's my psycho pack procedure and maybe if someone could please tell me if I'm doing something incorrectly I'd really appreciate it. No one psycho packs at my DZ, and I only do it to get it in the bag.
First I set my brakes, then separate my lines and walk to the canopy. Fluff it out and count 9 end cells.

There's your problem. I've never had good openings on canopies with 9 end cells.

Ken

Why are you leaving the center cell out like that?

On my 210, I just flake everything out even & roll the left & right sides in toward each other. Flop it down and the triangular shape gets rolled into the cocoon ...that gets the air pushed out then double check the slider is at the stops and start rolling it tightly.

IMO ~ nothing wrong with Psycho packing a larger canopy like that all things considered.

When I first started Pro packing I too would roll 4 left & 4 right leaving the center untouched, the openings were never consistent.

When I started leaving the nose alone and just flaking to clear the lines then rolling both sides in toward each other I've gotten nothing but slow consistent openings every time.

You might be rolling one side more or tighter than the other, you might be losing control of the slider...

Agreed. Also, keep an eye on that slider to maximum air into it.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.