gianquittia

Psycho packing fast opening

Hi,
I just got a new safire 2 145, and although I can propack zero-p canopies with 100 plus jumps I have extreme difficulty with new canopies. So, I have been psycho packing it to get it in the bag. My openings have been pretty hard to instant. I may have been stowing with too short of stows and getting line dump, but I stowed the same way when I propacked my Safire 2 169 (100 jumps on canopy) and had super slow, super comfy 700-900 feet openings. Here's my psycho pack procedure and maybe if someone could please tell me if I'm doing something incorrectly I'd really appreciate it. No one psycho packs at my DZ, and I only do it to get it in the bag.
First I set my brakes, then separate my lines and walk to the canopy. Fluff it out and count 9 end cells. I then put the nose between my legs and flake it out separating the line sets towards the middle. I do everything like a propack up to this point. I don't stuff the nose in. I grab the tail and pull it up and pull the parachute around to the nose wrapping it up like a pro pack. I then flip it as I'm putting it on the ground. I open up the cocooned parachute and find the end cells. I roll up the 4 left cells and four right cells, both sets towards the outside of the canopy. I leave the center cell untouched. I go around to the top of the pack job and grab the canopy and manipulate the skin in such a way to make the triangular shape in the psycho pack (not sure how to word that, but I assume if you psycho pack you know what I'm talking about). I then get the air out of it. I fold it into thirds longways and roll the canopy up. I put it in the bag, stow the first stow, and flip the bag back over. I then stow the rest like a propack and put it in the container the same way, with the line stows facing the bottom of the container. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to be thorough. Thanks for any help!
Be Happy!

;)

Post a vid of your method of packing.

And could you elabourate why you have choosen to not propack; a little more....In my opinion you are taking an easy way out because of the zeroP being hard, some things in life are hard...I need also to hear that someone else has propacked, and the results please?...like a packer before I comment....
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I can't help you with the psycho pack as I don't do it. I've seen others do it though but its been years. My only question is regarding the rolling of the end cells. You roll them to the outside, correct?

When I pro-pack, I roll my end cells to the center. Never had a hard opening and it opens on heading when packed that way. Not sure why you roll them outwards?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Seems to me he may also be leaving the center cell pretty open and exposed? LIke on a reserve? I am not sure, I don't psycho pack and am having a bit of a hard time following his description but I think you are right the problem is what he is doing with the nose cells.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Thanks for fast replies. I propack generally. This canopy is new with 10 jumps and its super slippery. My eagerness to get on every jump I can (Cessna 206 DZ!) is the reason I psycho pack this canopy, so I can get it packed quickly and get on the next plane. I love jumping! I will try rolling the cells toward the center on the next jump and we'll see what happens! If I can get someone to video the pack I will.

Be Happy!

Thanks for fast replies. I propack generally. This canopy is new with 10 jumps and its super slippery. My eagerness to get on every jump I can (Cessna 206 DZ!) is the reason I psycho pack this canopy, so I can get it packed quickly and get on the next plane. I love jumping! I will try rolling the cells toward the center on the next jump and we'll see what happens! If I can get someone to video the pack I will.

Sounds like a plan. Roll inwards and open the slider out as much as you can over it. Nice soft openings.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Why are you opening things to roll the outer cells?
Don't do that.
More important, make sure to split your slider and make sure it it seated against the stops.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Why are you leaving the center cell out like that?

On my 210, I just flake everything out even & roll the left & right sides in toward each other. Flop it down and the triangular shape gets rolled into the cocoon ...that gets the air pushed out then double check the slider is at the stops and start rolling it tightly.

IMO ~ nothing wrong with Psycho packing a larger canopy like that all things considered.

When I first started Pro packing I too would roll 4 left & 4 right leaving the center untouched, the openings were never consistent.

When I started leaving the nose alone and just flaking to clear the lines then rolling both sides in toward each other I've gotten nothing but slow consistent openings every time.

You might be rolling one side more or tighter than the other, you might be losing control of the slider...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Why are you opening things to roll the outer cells?
Don't do that.
More important, make sure to split your slider and make sure it it seated against the stops.

^ This. I have hundreds of psycho packs (and hundreds of pro packs, and various other packs). I've never had a problem on any canopy with the psycho method. I view it as a different folding method. I differ from ufk22 insofar as the one thing that I always do is inspect the slider to make sure it is up against the stops, and pulled out over the nose. Occasionally, when putting the canopy down, it can slip a bit. I don't roll anything, just make sure the cells are in the middle before I fold it and roll it up. I see no problem having a good look at it before you fold it and roll it.

However, whatever works, works, for whatever reason.

As others have said, watch the slider. When one is a novice psychopacking, it is easy to push the slider away from the stops as one rolls the canopy up towards the slider - for example if one doesn't stay at that bottom end of the canopy to control it.

New canopy....

1) Ensure D-Bag is correct size
2) Practice packing until you can bag it

Or, Psycho... (As others said in respect to hard openings only.)

1) Slider Control

The rest is pretty much like sacrificing a chicken, if it makes you feel better, do it, but fundamentally it won't have much affect.

New canopy....

1) Slider Control

The rest is pretty much like sacrificing a chicken, if it makes you feel better, do it, but fundamentally it won't have much affect.

Tell that to the chicken! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I psycho pack (for about 200 jumps so far), and roll the noses outward like you do, but I do this before I wrap the tail and flop on the floor. I then open things up and inspect, to make sure the front part the slider is visible (and to ensure lines remain separated) before completing the "triangulation" step.

I am extremely careful to keep the slider against the stops before I start folding and rolling the canopy. I stop rolling about 5-6 inches short of the apex of the canopy, bag the roll, and then fold down and stuff that extra 6 inches into the gap in the roll. I'd say that my openings tend to be super soft (pilot 188; 1:1 wingloading) and quite snivelly. Since I've never had a problem, I can't say that anything I do is some sort of magical step. But since I don't have problems, I try to be very consistant in my technique.

I like the technique and don't plan to go back

BTW, you might want to consider getting a 6-8 inch bridle extention to connect your canopy to your Dbag; it will help minimize inadvertantly collapsing your PC.

New canopy....

1) Slider Control

Tell that to the chicken! ;)

;)

Luv the new pic btw!

What concerns me is the amount of verbal instructions that may or may not be subject to an individuals interpertation regarding this post!

There is a world of difference writing about something and comparing it with pictures. I mention this again because of my concern with the op's statment about instant openings. An instant opening at terminal can really screw with your body!

I just want to be really clear and see what they are doing rather than read about it. Your idea about flaking and this part to the side or that side etc.,,,

Way too much subjective information being passed around,...:)
In comparison to a couple of pictures....

Just my 2 cents....
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."