Sam618

Having trouble reaching my pilot chute

:)
Yes he did say it!!!

Why don't you two go at it for a while, and I'll ask "Soo how exactly do you modify (your new rig's) pilot chute?"

I have some ideas,...

But do we really think someone is going to follow that suggestion??

The flip side is how many of us are going to go back to the old way, our old rigs as compared with continuing on with a situation that is unsafe. Normally I would buffer my comments, the slightest amount by saying something like:

"What the OP has said sounds unsafe?"

Now notice how I change my retoric to add a little empasis in response to the OP's comment which is:

[:/] "It really scare me and I don't know what to do"

(Youe english is just fine! btw)

My response, keeping in mind the OP says he can't reach his pilot chute is changed to reflect a little more emphasis, considering the severity of the issue raised, so the following comment has been adjusted to reflect a little more emphasis, see if yu can spot the difference in tone,....

:S

YOU NEED TO STOP FUCKING USING SOMETHING THAT IS GOING TO KILL YOU, YESTERDAY!!!

Astute readers are going to notice the slight change in vocabulary right away,....

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Yes he did say it!!!

Why don't you two go at it for a while, and I'll ask "Soo how exactly do you modify (your new rig's) pilot chute?"

I have some ideas,...

ROL or ripcord would be the quickest/easiest ways...;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I watched an AAD save the other week from some dude that was borrowing a smaller rig and didn't bother to see if he could reach his PC. From what I heard he was from Ecuador or something, fairly new jumper I think.

I was at 2200 ft and saw him go past me on his back not moving, thought he was unconscious. After he passed me I saw him flip over and start flailing. He just kept trying for that main handle, never went to reserve, he ended up never pulling a handle.

Scared the crap out of me, from where I was it looked like he was just about to hit the ground. Thought he was below 1k, figured he didn't have an AAD and I was preparing myself to watch him hit the ground. He was still trying to find his main PC when the AAD popped the reserve.

Funny it took 10 posts to tag the root of the problem.

No way ~ 3rd post in I said~

...get a parachute that you CAN deploy...

:P

I stand corrected...but who listens to old farts anyway.
:D:D:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Astute readers are going to notice the slight change in vocabulary right away,....

I noticed the slurring is getting more pronounced...er, mispronounced.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I jumped about 10 different rigs during student status...so it takes some time to get used to a certain rig.

Thank you for all the good tips some of you posted!!

For some other who just throw shit at the ones who are new in the sport: "you contribute well to make dorkzone for what it is"!

The answer here is too focus on your arch. When you're not flexible and reaching back the tendency is to dearch while you struggle with it, which of course makes the hackey go further away. Before you pull think "arch" and push those hips down. The handle will be much more accessible. I am a big guy too and had the same issue until I figured it out. Good luck.

I had just the opposite tendency.

After shoulder surgery and rehab I started to jump again but my shoulder was still stiff. Had a couple times I couldn't reach pud on first try.

Found if I dearched some it was easier to reach pud.
When I had pud in hand then I would arch hard and then pitch. Shoulder is normal now.

Just goes to show everybody is a little bit different.

Had same issues with my new Mirage G4 M1 + katana 135 after selling my old Mirage G4 M5 container.

I noticed the bottom of the container was like 3 inches higher up on my back then with my previous system. When bending the arm at pull time the pilot handle was a bit trickier to reach and it was also harder to pull out the pilot chute, like if I was lacking some strength..

At the time I felt like it was less troublesome adjusting my body, then to send the container away for adjustments. My solution was to loose ~40 pounds of bodyweight and that somehow made me more flexible and the system wasn't as tight anymore.

I went from beefy to more of a climber body type and as a bonus the katana has a lot more bottom end flare now then on the 2.2WL I had before :D

After shoulder surgery and rehab I started to jump again but my shoulder was still stiff. Had a couple times I couldn't reach pud on first try.

Kind of an 'informal' poll here ~ what happened with your shoulder & was it the right one?

Reason I ask is over the years I've noticed a lot more right side shoulder injury / pain complaints that (IMO) are either caused or worsened by the BOC location.

That's not really a 'natural' position for the arm to be in...and the trowing motion seems to cause strain in the upper shoulder area.

Just curious what happened with you Wayne....

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I watched an AAD save the other week from some dude that was borrowing a smaller rig and didn't bother to see if he could reach his PC. From what I heard he was from Ecuador or something, fairly new jumper I think.

I was at 2200 ft and saw him go past me on his back not moving, thought he was unconscious. After he passed me I saw him flip over and start flailing. He just kept trying for that main handle, never went to reserve, he ended up never pulling a handle.

Scared the crap out of me, from where I was it looked like he was just about to hit the ground. Thought he was below 1k, figured he didn't have an AAD and I was preparing myself to watch him hit the ground. He was still trying to find his main PC when the AAD popped the reserve.

Please tell us you were not still in free fall as you watched this.

I mention this because I've seen that happen to some one so engrossed with someone else's mistake they forgot they too had not yet deployed. A need for distraction control exercises.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Kind of an 'informal' poll here ~ what happened with your shoulder & was it the right one?

Reason I ask is over the years I've noticed a lot more right side shoulder injury / pain complaints that (IMO) are either caused or worsened by the BOC location.

That's not really a 'natural' position for the arm to be in...and the trowing motion seems to cause strain in the upper shoulder area.

Just curious what happened with you Wayne....

Not addressed to me, I know, but I guess I can add to your poll. The reason I'm only listed as 2 jumps is I'm still recovering from dislocating my right shoulder after stage 1 AFF, 2 months ago. I'd injured it mildly years and years ago, never bad enough to bother getting it looked at (ie if I was bowling playing some beach cricket or something it'd get sore after a while, that's it). After exit at 14k, I reached back for my practise pulls at 12k as planned. Instead of reaching forwards then back (towards the ground, if that makes sense), I rotated my arm back parallel to the ground. The way the wind caught it (I'm a skinny bastard) gave it a nasty wrench. Hurt like hell, but finished the rest of the dive as planned. Lots of swearing from me and concern from my instructor (stage 1 at my DZ is almost always TAF), but was good to fly us back. Explained the situation to my course instructor back on the ground, told him I'd see how it felt over the next hour or so before even thinking about heading up for stage 2. An hour later, testing my range of movement (arm happened to be in freefall position actually) it popped out. Better on the ground than in the air, at least. :S

Funnily enough, the arm positions that I still have the most restricted movement are with my arm out as it would be in freefall, and reaching behind my back as I would to get the PC. Very frustrating as it's looking like I've probably got another couple months before it would be safe to jump again, and I reeeeeaaally don't like the cold... [:/]
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Please tell us you were not still in free fall as you watched this.

I mention this because I've seen that happen to some one so engrossed with someone else's mistake they forgot they too had not yet deployed. A need for distraction control exercises.

lol no, I was under canopy and was stowing the slider as I noticed him falling past me

I jumped about 10 different rigs during student status...so it takes some time to get used to a certain rig.

Thank you for all the good tips some of you posted!!

For some other who just throw shit at the ones who are new in the sport: "you contribute well to make dorkzone for what it is"!

Dear Wombat,

Are you gonna get into a car that can go 200, but has no brake?

Does one not touch the "hackey" as a precheck, feel that it is there, not hanging loose etc?

It is unsafe, and something needs to be done about it, before the op go for another jump.

So, people are going to throw stuff at you if you are doing stupid things that are unsafe.

BUT, this is my initial response:
Options:
Add a ripcord..
Go for the good old leg throw (not advised)
Learn how to reach proper
Try reaching with your other hand, some guys jump a left hand BOC

Or, speak to a rigger.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Just as an aside: one of the drills I use during my tunnel camps is to have each person fly with their hand placed firmly in the middle of the small of their back with palm up while compensating with the other parts of their body. They alternate hands. I make them stay on heading, on level, no forward or back, no potato chipping and no going head low.

They spend the entire two minute flight flying like this with equal time spent on each hand (along with a couple other unusual attitudes). Once I've added this drill to the mix I ask them to periodically add this maneuver to various flights for a few seconds.

I use this to build skill and confidence in that they can fly stable during a momentary problem while reaching for a handle. They always fly better while reaching with the right than with the left which is clearly visible during the video debrief.

When I ask how many of them have ever had to pull their reserve while still in free fall [no cutaway - just a reserve pull] no one has ever raised their hand. I then ask how many times they have practiced pulling the reserve like they have their main and most respond with not many. And then the kicker question: If you are having a total malfunction and nearing your hard deck, how stable would you like to be during your reach for your last option to save your life. The room usually goes quiet.

This may or may not fix your problem but it will certainly demonstrate which is your strong side for reaching.

If you can - get to a tunnel and ask a coach to help you with this drill. But do not jump that rig again unless you can clearly demonstrate that you have been able to increase your reach through exercise and stretching - you change the BOC to the left side after ascertaining you have a better reach on the left or you've made alterations to the rig to compensate for this inability. Sometimes it's just smarter to get a rig that is more in line with your physical abilities.

Good luck. Be smart.

Dear Potatoman

The no brake comparison is pretty weak. Because

1. I could always pull by myself and I did pull
2. There is always the reserve
---------------------------------------------------------------------

To be very clear about the issue, I think I have to repeat some facts:

1. The rig is built for me.
2. it fits well and the pullhandle is at the right position
3. I am still below 10 jumps on that rig

This is a forum (I thought at least). Members should be allowed to ask questions, even if you don't understand them or think it's silly.

There are beginners who do mistakes and want to learn.

I already started to do my daily stretch excercises and put all the attention on practise pulls on my last jump. Guess what, it worked pretty well. A very hard arch helps alot! So thanks again for all the hints and support!

CHRIS D: I WILL NOT STOP TO JUMP THAT FUCKING RIG!!!
IT IS MY RIG AND MY LIFE AND MY DECISION.
If you want to keep people away from doing someting, you should maybe start a career as a prison guard.

As a sidenote: I do love my life and try to be as safe as possible. If there would be a real issue with the rig, I wouldn't jump it for sure.

Honestly, I don't see the reason to use capital letters. Maybe it irritates you the same way like me.

Cheers
Mo.

Wombat, learning also involves taking on board advice that you don't want to hear.

From your initial post, the rig doesn't sound safe to jump. You said in that post 'it is only a matter of time, before you have to pull the reserve'.

Maybe you were new to the rig, and have since discovered you over-reacted initially, but the guys advice was pretty good, going on what they know of your situation.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Wombat, learning also involves taking on board advice that you don't want to hear.

From your initial post, the rig doesn't sound safe to jump. You said in that post 'it is only a matter of time, before you have to pull the reserve'.

Maybe you were new to the rig, and have since discovered you over-reacted initially, but the guys advice was pretty good, going on what they know of your situation.

Nigel

Agreed, that part was my fault and I over-reacted indeed. I think it was a bit of frustration because it's a custom-made rig and everything should be fine.

On the other hand, I think it doesn't help if some of the members get too harsh. Giving some good advice can be done in a good and friendly way.

I got the message. Even before I started searching and posting about the topic I knew it is a serious one.
So, should I dig into a thread and take the risk to get treated like an underage or let it be and solve the problem by my own?

I will keep asking questions...

This problem is solved so far but I'm pretty sure a new one will come up in the near future.

I've saw this problem when my wife got a new rig. The answer we got from the mfg rep was to modify her pull position. Seemed that when she went to pull and her hand went over her hear her torso twisted as she tried to reach for her hacky. The fix was for her not to put her left hand over her head but to put it in front of her face. This cured the problem for her.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Wombat,

Good on you for doing some excersize to get the reach sorted.

I would also recommend doing dummy touches in the air. It will be the real deal, I mean take a jump or two, and do 20 dummy touches. This way you will be even more safe. You will know before you get to a hard deck that you are able or unable to pull.

Yes, it is a forum. That means I can say what I want, considering the moderators to not throw me off. Keep in mind, that since like you say, there are beginners, it is better going for "it is unsafe" than yeah, just go give it a go and up the fatality rate. Specially on something like a no pull, where you have very little time to react, and also a flood of adrenaline. I have seen people freeze, or fixate on terminal mals.

On your point 2.
If the pull handle is at the correct position, it does not neccesarily mean it is in the right position for you, even if the rig was built for you.

Keep it safe out there - the main objective.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Check your harness. I had a problem like that when I downsized and found out the hard way that my rig was manufactured with the wrong yoke. Almost universally, you should reach for your handle in roughly the same location that you reach for your wallet.

If your handle is not in the correct location the yoke may be too short for you.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

Check your harness. I had a problem like that when I downsized and found out the hard way that my rig was manufactured with the wrong yoke. Almost universally, you should reach for your handle in roughly the same location that you reach for your wallet.

If your handle is not in the correct location the yoke may be too short for you.

My rig was built with a "long yoke". At least the order says that. I always thought it should be as easy as reaching for a wallet.

I can post a picture to show how my rig fits. It is possible to pull, but it is still not a comfortable position at all.