tsf

What are different parachutes known for?

As a beginner browsing around for a first canopy, I'm lost in all of the different types of canopies (pulse, spectre, etc.). Once I've decided on a certain size for the appropriate wing loading for my jump experience, how do I decide which brand/model is most appropriate? Are there any folks here that have jumped many different ones that can comment on what certain types of parachutes are known for (easy to pack, hard to pack, softer openings, harder openings, slower openings, sensitive flight, etc.)?

Find some old fart lounging around in the bar after jumping and lubricate with beer. Ask their advice. That will narrow down your choices. Run those past your chief instructor or DZ rigger.

Don't take the advice of anyone looking to sell gear who isn't a reputable dealer....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Start by reading the reviews on this website and the canopy descriptions on Performance Designs website. You may see terms that you don't recognize. Find someone local to ask. The differences between canopies are like the difference between a VW bug and a Dodge Viper. There are several general purpose canopies that are suitable for a first canopy. From several manufacturers.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I would recommend obtaining a paragear catalog and reading about every canopy they sell. Brian Germain's book would also be very educational to you. I'll let you figure out the name of it so I don't look like I'm advertising.

Find some old fart lounging around in the bar after jumping and lubricate with beer. Ask their advice. That will narrow down your choices. Run those past your chief instructor or DZ rigger.

Don't take the advice of anyone looking to sell gear who isn't a reputable dealer....

Choose your old fart wisely though otherwise he or she will just tell you that "7 cell canopies don't have good glide," "stilettos give you line twists," and "the 45 degree rule is the best way to get exit separation."

A combination of the advice given here is probably best. Read up on the manufacturers' websites and reviews here, ask your instructors, demo as many as you can, and beware the advice of someone with a canopy for sale.

The PD flight characteristics details are really informative. I think they are in the user manuals, regardless they are easy to find.

I've found a reasonable amount of brand snobbery, so be cautious if people rubbish a brand.

For most people looking at first canopies Sabre 2. Saffire 2 and pilots are very popular choices.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I have a Sabre2, sporty when I want it to be, great openings, and generally a good resale value when it's time to downsize.

PD has a ton of videos on their YouTube channel about their canopies. If I changed anything right now, I might have gotten a Pulse.

I love my SA2 it's a great canopy for how I fly and the 170 will be great for 500jumps.
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them