adangst

would you buy a 20 year old canopy?

I Just got my A license. I am buying my first rig, I am going to get the container new because it is hard to find one that will fit a 5'2" 120lb girl, that will also fit a larger canopy (a 150) I found a used canopy for cheap, a PD 150 with newer lines and 500 jumps. It is supposedly in good condition but it is 20 years old, being that old kinda scares me. Should I buy it? Is there a good way to go about buying the canopy so that I don't get screwed with a piece of junk? I would love any advice.

20 years no problem, but 500 jumps on an F-111 canopy is a definite pass.

If your not familiar with the difference between zero-p and F-111 do a quick search. F-111 is great for the first few hundred jumps, but by the time your ready for a new line set most of the flare is gone.

A F-111 canopy with 500 jumps is an earth-seeking missile.
Re-lining a canopy was never done because these old canopies were worn out long before they needed new lines.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

so is there a good chance that this canopy was made with f-111 material? Thanks for the feedback, its really helpful

Any of the "PD" canopies (PD150. PD190, ect) are F-111. Not a "good chance."

For sure.

Run from this one.

Edit to add: Southern Man beat me to it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

A F-111 canopy with 500 jumps is an earth-seeking missile.

Damn lightweights. There's not a thing wrong with an F-111 canopy with 500 jumps, depending on the wingloading and how it's been cared for. It's just important to understand the limitations of the wing and how best to fly and land it.

If they were that damn bad a lot of us would be using walkers right now - or worse.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I still own a PD 150 ( I load it at 1.1 these days) and it wouldn't surprise me if it had 4-500 jumps on it. ( it's not the one for sale). It still lands me nice and soft when I pull it out and jump it. Depending on how it's been taken care of, and as long as you know how to flare it, it's not a bad canopy.

That being said - resale value for that canopy is about $200. I wouldn't pay anything more than for it.

I what avoid given that there are alot better options out there for little money i.e. PD Sabres, Icarus Safires, PDF Electra's, Chuteshop SA ZP's etc.

All of the above will provide you with more available flare power.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.