Floater

lost interest

it's been almost 3 months and i still have no interest in going to the dz.:( i haven't even had the usual guilty feelings on sunny weekends. what the hell is wrong with me? anybody else ever go through this?
i know it's not fear. it sure isn't because i have better things to do.
it's actually to the point that i don't even log on to dz.com much and i barely even flip through parachutist or skydiving.
i think i need an intervention.

lee

I've only made 2 jumps in the last two months and couldn't really give a shit anymore either. I will stay in the sport because I'd like to try a wingsuit and I'd also like to stay current so I can try BASE.

If you're not doing it as a sport or income the buzz can wear off. I've got 359 jumps now, which is a couple but not that many, still I could see myself trying a different (cheaper!) sport.

Will

Are you still jumping in England Will, that can wear down your resolve in no time....

If you are getting bored, going and partying in new places can help rejuvenate your enthusiasm....
A sunny place really helps...:S:SB|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I've quit jumping a couple of times; once while I was in college, and then when I was married-with-child. It took an intervention the first time -- a friend hassled me until I went back out. I could easily have quit permanently, because I just didn't miss it.
This time, I just waited until the time was right, and am very irregular. I could easily have gone the rest of my life without jumping again, but chose not to. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm hoping to get more regular, but if I don't, well, then I don't.
If you're doing other things, then you have a full and interesting life. Where's the problem. If you're hanging around on dz.com post whoring, well, then get out to the dropzone and do something real. Really.
Good luck, and go do something fun.:)Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wha?????

Hey wanna swop places with me? It's been six weeks since my last jump (no plane), our nearest DZ is 6 hours drive away. I've tried to organise a group to go up together, but everyone has a million excuses, and we're all optimists .... we've been saying "next week the plane will be ready" for the last four weekends in a row.

So, I am uncurrent, which means I am back on the rope. Ok, so I only have 22 jumps, and the novelty hasn't worn off, but I would really like to jump[:/]

Kerry

Floater,

I went through the same thing at about jump 100. I had almost totally lost interest in skydiving. I was sadly becoming bored with it. Then, I did something different with the sport. I started flying camera.

Maybe, a good way to "restart" your skydiving is to get with someone and try something new? I know I am doing the same thing once again. Now, I'm not getting bored with flying camera, but I'm exploring other things in skydiving.

This past weekend, I started my CrW training. I did a "end cell bumping" CrW just to see if I would like it. Man, is it the most intense feeling. All of my training has said "Stay 25m vertical and horizontal clearance from other canopys!" Talk about a cool jump.

Maybe the answer is to explore other disciplines. But, make sure you get the right training first.

You are right, unfortunately I don't have the holiday entitlement or money to jump abroad again until April next year... :(

I don't mind the winters, but the summers aren't exactly great either. Hey, maybe I should move to Canada, at least they get real summers! ;)

OMG what have you done to will, bring him back.

I can't believe that this is the same will who was on many of the dickhead loads last winter and done all of them hop n pops (some of them over the airfield).

You know where we are whenever you want to come back will.

just enjoy whatever it is you doing at the weekends now.

:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers

I've gone through a few "dry spells" in the past 12 years of jumping, the longest being 6 months (not counting grounded due to injury time; that was 8 months).

What got me back into it was having a goal to work toward. Decide to learn something new. If you're a belly flier, learn to sit fly. If you're a freeflier, get into some fast four way belly flying. Check out CRW. Play with style and accuracy. Learn some freestyle moves.

For me, teaching was a good motivator to stay in the sport - I feed off the energy of new jumpers. Offer to jump with those new A license holders on your dz. I guarantee you'll have fun and work your flying skills on those skydives. If you enjoy that, pick up a coach's rating and work with those who don't have their A yet.

Travel. Sometimes a different dz and a different crowd of people to jump with can bring back why it is you started to jump.

It's been a month for me and I've been on dz.com maybe 3 times in that month. I've been so busy with other crap going on in my life, plus the onset of colder weather, I just don't have my typical motivation to go. I'm starting to really jones now though but winds are supposed to be honking this weekend. Last winter I took a couple months off but then got back into the every weekend thing when spring came along. It's probably just a phase, because I still have a billion goals I want to meet and still think about jumping whenever I see a bird floating on thermals.

What got me back into it was having a goal to work toward.

Absolutely. Just going out and having zoo dive after zoo dive is fun for a while, but the novelty quickly wears off. If you're working toward something, anything, whether it's a stable head-down or camera proficiency or an AFF rating, I think skydiving is a million times more fulfilling.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Variety is the key as everyone else seems to be saying. I do mostly RW 4-6 ways. But lately the 20-ways have really got me more involved. Mix up some freeflying, tracking dives, high altitude hop n pops, CrW, camera, etc. If you are doing the same thing over and over again, it can get old pretty quick.

Even better, meet some of the jumpers just off student status and volunteer to jump with them. Some of the things that happen can be pretty amazing...funneled exits, landing on you in the formation, etc. As the "senior" jumper you will need to keep safety in mind and make sure all the others know the rules, breakoff, etc. It will sure change your perspective on "how easy" everything is.

Blue skies,

Jim

Some people live in places where they may only get a few weeks out of the year to jump. If you even get to only jump once a year think of that one jump as an amazing adventure. You do not have to be at the DZ each weekend. Skydiving is not a exercise routine nor is it church. It is an amazing sport that anytime you endeavor, it should be something you love and want to do, not something you think you should be doing.

If I go a while without jumping I really miss it. I miss landing my canopy , the exit , all of it. If its a sunny day and Im in a pissy mood and I feel like roller blading, or bike riding I do it:)
I do miss jumping though if I go past 3 or 4 weeks. I love skydiving but I do not feel guilty if I do not get 10 in every weekend. Unless your committed to a team just enjoy the thrill when you feel like it. You will feel like it again.;)

Im lucky I live near two DZs 45 min away. They are open year round. Maybe we should not take such a nonchalant attitude toward the sport. I think we take for granted how lucky we are to have even done one jump out of a plane.;)

Just make sure you go over safety checks on gear and emergency procedure drills( with an instructor) if your out a really long time;)

No doubt..VARIETY is a good thing. I love free flying but some weekends I can't do much but chase sit flailers. After 2 or 3 of these "coaching" dives it can get pretty tiresome. Those jumps can be mentally and physically demanding. It's nice to be able to split things up. It's nice to do a low speed belly coach dive in between.Do a couple jumps with people at least on your own level if not better than you. Then you don't get worn out doing coaching. It is work but also quite rewarding in it's own way. I'm glad I got my coach rating. I'm still not sure I want an AFF rating. That's a lot of work!!! However, each rating you get gives you more options on how you want to spend your day.

Clay.. you need to look up CRW too after I about got that dock on you at WFFC... A few more hundred feet and a few dozen less canopies around and it would have been a dock :)
CRW was my savior this summer. I was getting burned on a lot of things including DZ personilities and annoying people at the DZ... Doing CRW was a total release from all of that. Granted I did'nt get to jump with my existing friends at all for weekends, (I actually have'nt jumped with one all year since we are too busy on our own jumps i seems) but I learned a lot and really like CRW now. I ordered a camera suit and thats opened up new ways of flying for me. Like sitflying with any belly group I want to...

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You know, its good to read this because I thought I was almost the only one. Not that I've lost interest, its just time & money issues, plus other activities that I'm into. And now its getting too cold.

Somehow its easy to believe that all the other skydivers spend every weekend at the DZ & have little or no life/interests that doesn't revolve around skydiving. But evidently that's not the case.

You're not alone, dude!
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Clay.. you need to look up CRW too

Dude.....don't you know that shit is dangerous....:D Haven't put much thought into it really. I do have a couple pretty famous CRW folks that frequent skydive Atlanta. Maybe I'll try it sometime. Other than the "spur of the moment" CRW I do now. ;)

Exactly, we all have other things in life to do. Some of us have to study and get a degree so we can afford to do ten jumps a weekend;):P

Going to the DZ is an all day thing, you have to pack up gear most of us have to drive pretty far and then you get there and look for someone to jump with or do a solo. At the end of the day we smell like jet fuel and are tired. Its all worth it of course!!!:)
I wish I had the luxury and $$$ to jump all sunny weekends all weekend long.

I have a sick hubby that is getting a kidney transplant on the 11 of this month and I have mid-terms.[:/]

Yes, every second of my life is on a schedule.:)
I will make a day to get to my Dz. Actually prolly tomorrow;)

i think i need an intervention.

Bite your tongue!

I could start by paying for your jumps, but why should I when I could donate to DZ.com?

Then I know where you live so I'll come over and kick your ass. And if that's not enough, I'll take your gear since you won't be needing it.:)
My other ride is the relative wind.

I wish I could get my mind off of skydiving. Then maybe I'd pay attention in class rather than thinking about it. They need to have a skydiving major. Afterall, this is Embry-Riddle AERONAUTICAL Univesity. Not that that would be realistic, but nonetheless. Maybe the could make it a minor. Crappy Aeronautical Science students could take it to practice bailing out.

------------------------------------------------------

Remember kids, eagles may soar, but at least weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

I've never willingly had time off from skydiving. I try to go every weekend, but sometimes $$$ keeps me from doing more jumps, like I want to, or obligations to school or work. I'm a full-time college student and I work part time. I make good money but I also support myself while in school. I've been jumping almost two years and I only have ~150 jumps.

Still, I like to think those are quality jumps since I've basicaly had my own personal coach on each jump. I also, for a short time, had a job for the company that owns the windtunnel so I had some free time in there. I've thorougly enjoyed every jump.

I feel guilty sometimes but not all the time. I just have to remind myself that I'm 22, and statistically, 75% of regular skydivers are over the age of 28. I have plenty of time to rack up my #s.

I've heard people say you're not a "real"skydiver if you don't jump all the time, but i just don't buy that BS. I love skydiving, but it isn't my life, nor is it most of our lives. We all have to have jobs, support ourselves somehow, etc. Not many people can do that through skydiving, and those that can, their sponsors will eventually dump them when they're 50 years old and they will have to get a job then.

I'd like to retire at age 50 and skydive now and until the day I can't anymore. To do that, I need $$$. I need to finish my education (YEY DECEMBER GRAD!) and keep investing.

I know once I grad I will have more $$$ for more jumps and I'm looking forward to that.

But, my advice is just to do what you want to do and not to worry what other people do or say. If i listened to all the times people have told me I'm not a "real" skydiver b/c I can only do 3-5 jumps a week or every other week then I would have lost something I truly love to do.;-)

and statistically, 75% of regular skydivers are over the age of 28

Really? It doesn't seem like it on here! Good to hear!

I'm with you Speedy...it's good to hear others say it's not entire focus of their life and that it's okay. I haven't lost my interest at all, but then again, I haven't gotten to jump enough to be able to. It has been a never-ending source of frustration how it's been 2 1/2 years since we started, yet for a variety of reasons (family medical problems, money, kids, small planes) we haven't been able to make even a 100 jumps yet. Nearly, but not quite. I still wonder how proficient I'll ever be at it, but I don't totally suck either.

I don't always feel like a 'real skydiver' because I can't get out there as often as I'd like (and I'd really like!), and I can't always stick around and party with friends like I want to with the kids there. On the other hand, though, I get to jump with my husband and don't have to worry about him bitching about my jumping or spending the money to jump, we just have to put up with not getting to go as often since there's two of us to pay for when we do, and sometimes leaving sooner then we want.

Too, there's the whole single's scene that is connected to skydiving a lot that of course we just don't fit in to. But it certainly amuses me to watch the people trying to hook up or on here trying to figure out when/where they will next get laid and know that I can get it anytime I want ;)

I don't ever intend to quit, I don't think I can, but I look forward to when the kids are gone and we can jump more freely, and also have more money to spend on it if we want! For now, we're just weekend warriers trying to stay current :)
Pam