meatmissile

The Non-Americans.

Tabasco - I'm on www.tabasco.com, but can't find any ads? Tabasco.co.za didn't work - what's the addy?

Try [url]http://www.tabasco.com/arts_pavilion/tv_ads/

So far I should be in your part of the planet from 15 December...we bringing the budgie up then..

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter

"What are you doing to appease the weather gods today"

I ws going to slaughter a virgin, but hell there's none left around here..:S:)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

he he he he he

A man walks into a bar with an octopus. He sits the octopus down on a
stool and tells everyone in the bar that this is a very talented octopus.

"He can play any musical instrument in the world." Everyone in the bar
laughs at the man, calling him an idiot. So he says that he will wager
$50 to anyone who has an instrument that the octopus can't play.

A bloke walks up with a guitar and sets it beside the octopus.
Immediately the octopus picks up the guitar and starts playing better
than Jimmy Hendrix. The guitar man pays up his $50. Another bloke
walks up with a trumpet. This time the octopus plays the trumpet better than
Louis Armstrong. The man pays up his $50.

Then a Scotsman walks up with some bagpipes. He sits them down and the
octopus fumbles with it for a minute and then sits down with a confused
look. "Ha Ha!" the Scot says. "Ye canie plae it, can ye ?"

The octopus looks up at him and says ........"Play it?.... I'm going
to fuck it as soon as I figure out how to get its pyjamas off.."

Kerry

LOL @ Blue, an oldie, but one that wears well.;)

Erno, serious talking time..The Russian Theatre siege.
My opinion, the situation should never have arisen in the first place. I don't think Russia should be in Chechenya (along with a cadre from the American 5th mountain division, but thats an entirely separate issue and one which should not be discussed on the US friendly thread) so there you go.:P

Other than that, this one was never going to end well (I think you said this at the time the news broke, Erno), 700 hostages and 50 'terrorists/rebels/freedom fighters' means that there will be casualties on both sides. Hazard and probability factors add up to an unfavourable outcome.
As for using a gas, well I initially thought "oh no, secret stockpiles of chemical weapons" but it transpires the gas used was a narcotic, probably opiate based.
It appears that most of the dead were not casualties of gunfire, but as a direct result of using a narcotic gas.

I beleieve the Russians hand was forced when the captors started shooting inside the theatre, when that happened, the Russians were committed to 'doing something' regardless of the state of readiness of their plans and solutions.
I would be interested to see how various 'special forces' types would advise a solution to such a situation. Especially in an era where there is zero tolerance to making deals with 'terrorists'.

I'd welcome other opinions on this from the usual sources..

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

>Other than that, this one was never going to end well (I think you
>said this at the time the news broke, Erno)

A pessimist is never disappointed.:( I was hoping for a miracle of some sort though...

>it transpires the gas used was a narcotic, probably opiate based.

How new is this bit of news? From what source? The morning show today said there still was no comment from the authorities regarding the type of gas.

>It appears that most of the dead were not casualties of gunfire,
>but as a direct result of using a narcotic gas.

Yes, out of 117 dead, 2 were killed by gunfire. Seems really strong for a narcotic gas to me. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some sort of experimental combat gas the special forces were just waiting to try on someone...

>I beleieve the Russians hand was forced when the captors started
>shooting inside the theatre

I agree. Some of my friends have commented this along the lines of "You just can't do something like that!", but they have no alternatives to present. As tragic as the loss of lives is, this really sent a strong message to future terrorists: "No, your methods don't work. We'd rather kill all the hostages than give in to your demands."

>I would be interested to see how various 'special forces' types would
>advise a solution to such a situation.

Likewise. Although this one seems like a no-win situation to me. Had the gas been, well, some other sort, the outcome could have been much better. But I guess there isn't a chemical agent that would knock out most subjects instantly and not kill any of them.

I wonder if the terrorists were really neutralized so fast they didn't have time to blow the place up, or were they, in the end, not so ready to die after all?

During the Great War the Tommies had a song that went.
"We're here because we're here because we're here because we're here"
Chechnya seems to be much the same. Real politik at it's worst. The Russians have gotten themselves into a situation that they are unable or unwilling to back out of. I understand their fear of their country and with it much of their resources breaking off into small splinter-states. There is also the fear by the current government of a hard line communist come back. To top it all there is an historical fear of the military. To a great degree I believe the army runs the country and the government fears it.

Then not least of all there is the matter of pride.
The Russians took a hiding the last time they were in Chechnya and they are in a mindless grind at the moment. They are stuck there for much the same reasons they got stuck in Afgahanistan. They are there because they are there ......... The real causes and reasons forgotten. Now it is just about the fight.

The theater siege was always going to end up badly because the game was bigger than the relative handful of people involved....like I said real politik where power and the exercise of that power takes precidence over negotiation. The Germans taught the Russians and they have not forgotten.[:/]

The radio news this morning included an interview with what sounded like a local doctor. He had run blood anlysyes, and came to the conclusion that the gas used was in effect a medical gas based on opiates. Perfectly safe to administer, under supervision of a trained anaesthetist, otherwise ther is the risk of serious hram, as was sadly the case here.

No secret stockpiles of sneaky chemical agent apparently....
--------------------

>The theater siege was always going to end up badly because the
>game was bigger than the relative handful of people involved....

The reason it didn't end well, IMO, was because it was planned that way. The terrorists weren't planning to get out alive. Actually I don't think they believed for one moment that their demands would be met, and that the only logical goal for an attack like that(meaning the initial taking of hostages) is to gain publicity.

That they got, and unfortunately there is nothing anyone can do to prevent it from happening again.

The radio news this morning included an interview with what sounded like a local doctor. He had run blood anlysyes, and came to the conclusion that the gas used was in effect a medical gas based on opiates. Perfectly safe to administer, under supervision of a trained anaesthetist, otherwise ther is the risk of serious hram, as was sadly the case apparently....

I would tend to agree.......the hostages were not in the best state to start with and with the added stress and a opiate/ narcotic gas ....who knows?

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter

>The radio news this morning included an interview with what
>sounded like a local doctor. He had run blood anlysyes, (...)

It says on a Finnish news site that it was the US Moscow embassy that had identified the gas. Also this from BBC news: "ambulance crews who treated hostages at the theatre were ordered to administer naloxone, a medicine routinely given to patients who have overdosed on opiates such as heroin"

The authorities still haven't given any official statement about the gas.

Interestingly :"foreign intelligence agencies are examining whether the deployment of gas might prove helpful if they are ever faced with similar sieges"

WTF? I think it was pretty clear that the results weren't at all desireable?

Sweet! I don't beleive anyone who's ever met me has even said politically correct in the same sentence as me, or the one before or after for that matter. :)

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

I do indeed agree with most of what you said. I don't have a shmick about why this tread got started, but as far as Americans go, I can tolerate them :D. I've never been one for the generalization of people. I think that no matter where you go in the world, it's all the same. People just trying to get by in whatever way they can. Well, that's my experience anyway.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

I think we all pretty much have the same thoughts on the matter. Although why it ever became an issue is beyond me.

It's those fricken Americans hehehehe :D

S.E.X. party #1

Don't try and bullshit us Ferdi - you just want to go down in history as the man who started the longest thread on dz.com.... :P

Ferdi is happy just going down!!!]