meatmissile

The Non-Americans.

maybe. But if he had just said pull over, it would never have happened.
And if he didn't open the door while the car was moving, I would have had my full attention on the road, not trying to pull him back into the car before he bashed his pip on the tarmac!

Just be sure you remind him when he sobered up, that the door should not have been opened at that time because you were not at the right alti for a door opening. And if it was an emergency procedure to please let you know next time.:P

Last summer I tried a Mr.Bill with a friend of mine. The exit went seriously headdown, but I had already tossed the PC. After the passenger fell off, I started to think that the spinning motion I felt wasn't usually associated with fully deployed and working parachutes.

Sure enough, above my head was a so called 'ball of shit'. The reason for this was also obvious: There was a line snagged around my leg.:o I promptly grabbed the line and pulled it off, and the malfunction over my head started to look more like a snivelly opening. A moment of pumping on the toggles got the Fury to open fully.

After landing the passenger came to me and told me that he was, after seeing my mal, pretty certain that I'd be joining him in freefall shortly...:D He lost a shoe on the jump. It was a nice shoe with flames on the side.:|

"A moment of pumping on the toggles got the Fury to open fully."

Thats not unusual with a Fury...B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Could have been worse....

Had a very drunk friend in the back of my 2 door car that decided that she may need to be sick.....she tells me this on the freeway while I am doing 120 in the middle lane....

Suddenly I felt like someone had splashed the back of my head....I managed to cross 3 lanes, avoid a traffic cop and pull into the nearest ER parking lot!!

It gets worse......the aircon spat things back at me for 2 weeks!!

NOw does anybody want to discuss lunch?

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter

Could have been worse....
Had a very drunk friend in the back of my 2 door car that decided that she may need to be sick.....she tells me this on the freeway while I am doing 120 in the middle lane....
Suddenly I felt like someone had splashed the back of my head....I managed to cross 3 lanes, avoid a traffic cop and pull into the nearest ER parking lot!!
It gets worse......the aircon spat things back at me for 2 weeks!!
NOw does anybody want to discuss lunch?

No, but I would like to discuss climbing on your car with my feet bolted to the hood..just for the rush!!!!

THE LUCKIEST ESCAPE YOU HAVE EVER SEEN OR BEEN PART OF.

I've been nearly dead more times than I care to imagine. Mostly stupid, undramatic stuff involving alcohol and testosterone, but that's all in the past now ;).

But there was this once when I flew into a morning mist close to Stellenbosch. The aircraft was a little C-152, and I thought I could go over it. Suddenly it looked as if somebody had spray-painted the windows white. So I thought I'd just do a 180 degree turn back to the airfield. It's funny how the g-vector remains right on your ass - you lose orientation is seconds. Didn't look at the instruments of course. Their asses remain unaffected by the g-vector.

Exited the fog at 200ft with the engine screaming past the redline, 90 degrees rolled, nose 45 degrees down. No sky in sight, only pine trees. I guess I recovered with about ten feet to spare. Some serious "pine rush" there.

Strange, that particular girfriend always had excuses for not flying with me again [:/]. I should mention that it was my only close shave. Most people have them once, few own up to it.

--
ZZZzzzz....

Hey I just remembered another scary jumping day!

This was a couple of years back...

To start the day, I was jumping a demo I shouldn't have been jumping on. The LZ was tiny, surrounded by high trees on all sides, and was right next to a lake. The only possible landing direction was downwind. The jump, surprisingly, caused no injuries except some loss of skin on my palms due to the downwinder.

After I got back to the DZ, I decided to go do a training jump to further my career as an aspiring skysurfer. I had these sort of 'half-boards' which were solidly attatched to my shoes. This way when I moved my feet to a daffy-position while being in a stand-up, it'd be like having a small skyboard under my feet, but which could be split up if I went unstable, and go belly-to-earth if necessary.

These weren't a bad idea. They worked quite well, except that they tended to slip sideways when I tried to maneuver. The solution to that was a bad idea.

I attached two screws on one board, and drilled two holes on the other. This way, they wouldn't slip sideways, but could be detached from each other by simply lifting my other foot up. Or that was the plan at least.

The jump went well, until when at about 1400m I decided to try and attach the boards one more time. Sure enough, I went unstable almost instantly, and you guessed it, the boards got stuck. So no shit, there I was, spinning on my back, my feet stuck together into a propellor shaped bit of wood, and burning altitude rather rapidly. The boards wouldn't budge, and I was at 800m already. Running out of options, I tossed my pc on my back, spinning.

The Maverick opened just fine, except that there were about 15 linetwists. Kicking out of them didn't work too well until I managed to free my feet from the boards.

After landing, I tossed my rig in a corner in the packing hangar, and proceeded to get very badly drunk.

Thank you for listening, don't do what I did.;)

"If its not unuasual to pump the toggles for a fully open Fury...doesn't that make this PC an undesirable one? "

All canopy designs have their own "characteristics", nearly all the Furys I have ever jumped (about 300 jumps on furys of varying vintage) required some toggle input to clear end cell closure...It doesn't make them undesireable. Other canopies have issues too....Stilettos can spin you up, Monarchs/sabres can slam you on opening, et, etc.

For the record....I think the Fury is a good all round canopy for its era.....They are quite at home doing demos in to tight arenas, great accuracy canopies, and are excellent for CRW....They make great transition canopies from student gear. You just normally have to work with them a little..B|

Ye gawds....a conversation about jumping...is this the right thread???;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

"The Amercians will always do the right thing....after they have exhausted all the alternatives."

Winston Churhill.

B|;)

President John F. Kennedy summarized Winston S. Churchill's rhetorical grandeur with the statement that "In the dark days and darker nights when England stood alone--and most men save Englishmen despaired of England's life--he mobilized the English language and sent it into battle.":$:$:$
Which I thought was a nice comeback.

--------------------

"Ye gawds....a conversation about jumping...is this the right thread???;) "

Thanks for the Info
P.S. I say this conversation is on the wrong thread!!!! Please move it to the Gear Forum!!!!!....Get the Non-American Thread to the Gear Forum!!!
If I cant Hi-Jack it, Maybe I can get it tossed to another forum...:P

The strange thing about this thread is that there is an almost complete absence of post-whoring. People are taking a lot of time to write interesting stuff. Look, for example, at the section where we posted pics of the various areas where we live! Pity so few will actually take the time to read through the whole thing.

--
ZZZzzzz....

>The strange thing about this thread is that there is an almost
>complete absence of post-whoring.

Boobies! Sheep!, and umm.. Beer!

>Pity so few will actually take the time to read through the whole thing.

Maybe we should start a new thread? I was thinking along the lines of something like "The new improved non-exclusive Morning Club thread". You know, so that the people on other continents wouldn't feel the need to start their own thread?

It was only feeble because my mind wasn't set on getting it moved. It was an impulse move. But I did enjoy the learning I got from the conversation even though it was more of a rigging/gear topic all is far in the open talk forums...because thats what it is...open chat....besides...I'm adding to the count..rofl.
Don't call me a traitor, because I'm glad to move. UP!!!!!!

:)
As Ferdi said, you can learn all sorts of interesting stuff on this thread. Yes, there's the usual bantering and to quote Nacmac, blethering (I love that word!), but also topical stuff.

I hope this isn't going to turn into a competition to see whether the "Americans" or "Non-Americans" are the biggest post-whorers ....:S

Kerry

"Get the Non-American Thread to the Gear Forum!!! "

Winston again...."When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber"

And
"We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire. Neither the sudden shock of battle nor the long-drawn trials of vigilance and exertion will wear us down. Give us the tools and we will finish the job. "

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. "

And finally......
"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations. "

Ole Winston got a good airing this weekend.;)

--------------------

I remember watching an old movie about Winston and his life. One of the most amusing scenes was while addressing the House Of Commens.
He is standing behind a podium delivering his speech and he pauses and lifts a glass of water to wet his throat. He takes a sip, pauses and then takes another. He then looks up and exclaims "So that is what it tastes like" The entire house pissed itself laughing.:D