peek

"Rules of the Road" for aviation

Can someone do some searching and help me find the aviation version of the "Rules of the Road"? It seems like they should be in the FAA Aeronautical Information Manual, but I have had no luck finding them.

I also remember a post I made a while back about them but I can't find that either. Maybe I'm having a "bad search day".

The nautical version is at: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/rotr_online.htm

They're actually in the Aeronautical Information Publication, here is a link to the PDF version
http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/media/aip.pdf
Vale

Thank you! That is a good find, but I do not see a list of rules like in the USCG documents. Perhaps the FAA documents do not have them in a "list of rules".

The AIP format is a (somewhat) standard international format.
Navigating it (and actually understanding the rules) is often not a very straightforward process and takes some getting used to.
Let me know if you're looking for anything specific and I might be able to give you some pointers (perhaps best done by taking it to PMs?).

Cheers,

Vale

It's not in the AIM, but in Part 91 (91.113).

Rules are generally:

Everybody avoid hitting things.

Distress has right of way over everything.

Converging traffic (other than head-on): aircraft on the right has right of way when the same category. Otherwise there's a balloon/glider/towed-refueling/airship preference like the sail preference.

Converging head-on (apply directly to the forehead): both go to the right.

Overtaking (overtaker must yield)

Landing (guy on final has right of way over others in the air or on the ground), the lower guy has preference if more than one on final.

Wow - what a great place to create rules of the air for skydivers.

I did my first cut at adapting these rules to skydiving.

Paragraph numbers are a bit skewed.

Every skydiver shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.

In determining a safe speed the following factors shall be among those taken into account:

(a) By all skydivers:

1. The state of visibility;
2. The traffic density;
3. The maneuverability of the skydiver with special reference to airspeed and turning ability in the prevailing conditions;
5. The state of weather hazards;

RULE 8
ACTION TO AVOID COLLISION

(a) Any action taken to avoid collision shall be positive, made in ample time and with due regard to the observance of good skydivership.

(b) Any alteration of course and/or speed to avoid collision shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, be large enough to be readily apparent to another skydiver observing visually; a succession of small alterations of course and/or speed should be avoided.

(c) If there is sufficient airspace, alteration of course alone may be the most effective action to avoid a close-quarters situation provided that it is made in good time, is substantial and does not result in another close-quarters situation.

(d) Action taken to avoid collision with another skydiver shall be such as to result in passing at a safe distance. The effectiveness of the action shall be carefully checked until the other skydiver is finally past and clear.

(e) If necessary to avoid collision or allow more time to asses the situation, a skydiver may slacken her speed.

Not quite ready to dump these but don't have a translation yet either.
1. A vessel which, by any of these rules, is required not to impede the passage or safe passage of another vessel shall, when required by the circumstances of the case, take early action to allow sufficient sea room for the safe passage of the other vessel.
2. A vessel required not to impede the passage or safe passage of another vessel is not relieved of this obligation if approaching the other vessel so as to involve risk of collision and shall, when taking action, have full regard to the action which may be required by the rules of this part.
3. A vessel, the passage of which is not to be impeded remains fully obliged to comply with the rules of this part when the two vessels are approaching one another so as to involve risk of collision.

RULE 10
TRAFFIC SEPARATION SCHEMES

(a) This Rule applies to traffic separation schemes and does not relieve any skydiver of her obligation under any other rule.

(b) A skydiver using a traffic separation scheme shall:

1. Proceed in the appropriate traffic lane in the general direction of traffic flow for that lane.
2. So far as is practicable keep clear of a traffic separation line or separation zone.
3. Normally join or leave a traffic lane at the termination of the lane, but when joining or leaving from either side shall do so at as small an angle to the general direction of traffic flow as practicable.

(c) A skydiver, shall so far as practicable, avoid crossing traffic lanes but if obliged to do so shall cross on a heading as nearly as practicable at right angles to the general direction of traffic flow.

(d)

1. A HP skydiver shall not use a conventional pattern traffic zone when she can safely use the appropriate traffic lane within the adjacent traffic separation scheme.

(e) A skydiver, other than a crossing skydiver or a skydiver joining or leaving a lane shall not normally enter a separation zone or cross a separation line except:

1. in cases of emergency to avoid immediate danger;

(f) A skydiver navigating in areas near the terminations of traffic separation schemes shall do so with particular caution.

(g) A skydiver shall so far as practicable avoid engaging in slow flight in a traffic separation scheme or in areas near its terminations.

(h) A skydiver not using a traffic separating scheme shall avoid it by as wide a margin as is practicable.

(i) A skydiver engaged in a HP landing shall not impede the passage of any skydiver following a traffic lane.

(k) A skydiver restricted in her ability to maneuver, such as under a malfunction, line twists or reserve, is exempted from complying with this Rule to the extent necessary to land safely.

OVERTAKING

(a) Any skydiver overtaking any other shall keep out of the way of the skydiver being overtaken.

(b) A skydiver shall be deemed to be overtaking when coming up with a another skydiver from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft her beam, that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel she is overtaking.

(c) When a skydiver is in any doubt as to whether she is overtaking another, she shall assume that this is the case and act accordingly.

(d) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking skydiver a crossing vessel within the meaning of these Rules or relieve her of the duty of keeping clear of the overtaken skydiver until she is finally past and clear.

Rule 16

Every skydiver that is directed to keep out of the way of another skydiver shall, so far as possible, take early and substantial action to keep well clear.

Rule 17

(a)

1. Where one of two skydivers is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed.
2. The latter skydiver may however take action to avoid collision by her maneuver alone, as soon as it becomes apparent to her that the skydiver required to keep out of the way is not taking appropriate action in compliance with these Rules.

(b) When, from any cause, the skydiver required to keep her course and speed finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give-way skydiver alone, she shall take such action as will best aid to avoid collision.

(d) This Rule does not relieve the give-way skydiver of her obligation to keep out of the way.

Except where Rules 9, 10, and 13 otherwise require:

(a) A HP skydiver underway shall keep out of the way of:

1. a skydiver with a malfunction;
2. a skydiver with line twists;
3. a skydiver under a reserve;
4. a student skydiver
5. a skydiver performing a conventional pattern

(b) A skydiver performing a conventional pattern underway shall keep out of the way of:

1. a skydiver with a malfunction;
2. a skydiver with line twists;
3. a skydiver under a reserve;
4. a student skydiver

(d)

1. Any skydiver other than a skydiver restricted in her ability to maneuver shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid impeding the safe passage of a skydiver constrained by her wake.

-------
BTW, I am not proposing this as a BSR, but it might lead to a good section of the SIM.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker