hagar

Some questions for you Americans about the election

It looks like the republicans have won both houses.

Does that mean that GWB is totally unopposed, and is that necessary a bad thing?

What changes do you expect to see that otherwise would have been stopped by the dems?
---
PCSS #10

A teacher was teaching her second grade class about the government, so for homework that one day, she told her her students to ask their parents what the government is.

When Little Johnny got home that day, he went up to his dad and ask his what the government was.
His dad thought for a while and answered, ''Look at it this way: I'm the president, your mom is Congress, your maid is the work force, you are the people and your baby brother is the future.''
''I still don't get it'' responded Little Johnny.
''Why don't you sleep on it then? Maybe you'll understand it better,'' said the dad.
''Okay then...good night'' said Little Jonny went off to bed.

In the middle of the night, Little Johnny was awakened by his baby brother's crying. He went to his baby brother's crib and found that his baby brother had taken a cr@p in his diaper. So Little Johnny went to his parent's room to get help. When he got to his parent's bedroom, he looked through the keyhole to check if his parents were asleep. Through the keyhole he saw his mom loudly snoring, but his dad wasn't there. So he went to the maid's room. When he looked through the maid's room keyhole, he saw his dad having s*x with his maid. Little Johnny was surprised, but then he just realized something and thinks aloud, ''OH!! Now I understand the government! The President is screwing the work force, Congress is fast asleep, nobody cares about the people, and the future is full of sh@t!''
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

I believe there are some circuit court judgeships which Congress previously held up which may now go through. Possibly some other political appointments, as well. However, I don't think it will be a wild swing to the right. The margin is still pretty close.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

I am happy about it. Sorry, but I never was a fan of Bubba Clinton & the 'ole gang. Going to the right? What is the right right now? At least GWB has excelent advisors. I think he makes a good President, whatever people say about him.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

At least GWB has excelent advisors. I think he makes a good President,

Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, that to open it and prove them right:P

HE HE HE....JUST KIDDING. I'm neither a Rep nor Dem, I simply vote for the best candidate based on the issues.

I don't care for Bush, didn't care for Gore, and didn't like either candidate for the Florida governor position. Geez!

I'm not sure yet how I feel about a Republican controlled govt. but time will tell.

I don't think it's a good thing at all.

Not because of my personal political views, but because a split Congress/Executive branch ensures much more care will be taken when deciding issues that the American people care about.

Yes, we bitch and moan about how Congress is deadlocked and can't get anything done, but there's the other extreme of going TOO far with any one agenda.

So...I bet if all the congresspeople out there took a poll of their constituents on an issue...let's say drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, they might find the majority of people are opposed to it. But hey, we're a Republican Congress, let's do it anyway! Where's the check on that? Especially if it's not something the majority of people want?

These are our REPRESENTATIVES...I always get so mad when someone accuses a politician of being "a slave to the polls"...um...shouldn't they be? If 75% of the people in your district believe that we should leave ANWR alone...should you vote for drilling? Probably not. Will you? Probably so, since oil money got you elected. (This is happening here in NM)

I think it's going to be a scary 2 years, personally. And I don't think GWB has very good advisors, either. I see them as living for the short term, rather than looking toward changing for the future.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Mein Haase;) I was thinking of some issues of strategic consequences.

1. Middle east - the Congress will probably be more firm with Israel. With all due respect, we have (yes we, you and I and all of us paying taxes in the US) subsidizing Israel for ever (as loong as they exist) The child gets his allowance - the child should obey the parent! We need tham as a counterbalance to other interests but not as a menace to the world!

2. Strategic direction of the economy - at this point in time unanimity of vote is quite important

3. Foreign policy overall - as Bismarck used to say "at war a stupid decision is better than no decision" The US might want to start showing some direction and firmness

I disagree with plenty of issues the Congress and the Administration have raised. By now means am a a person gloryfying the one or the other side. It is just that given the choice, I have made mine:)

jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

I can't believe that was voted down in every state it has been offered.

Conversation to boss, "Hey, man, you got any open positions in (insert pot-legal city here), I'd really like to move there...NO? Okay, well, I'm moving there anyway. Give me a call if something comes up.":P

I am happy about it. Sorry, but I never was a fan of Bubba Clinton & the 'ole gang. Going to the right? What is the right right now? At least GWB has excellent advisors. I think he makes a good President, whatever people say about him.

Very well said and I agree with you 100%. The next couple years will be very interesting and I believe this is exactly what the USA needed.

------Have a good one!--------

In the senate you need 60 votes to get anything done so the GOP will still need some of the Dem votes.

The 60 votes is only needed to evoke cloture which effectively stops filibusters. So the Republicans will still be able to get things done, it's just that the Democrats can slow down the process as long as they can keep debating--which can't happen forever. It's just a little muck in the gears that's all.

And what exactly are the gears going to accomplish, with few checks (and those checks being called "muck" anyway).
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

At least GWB has excelent advisors. I think he makes a good President, whatever people say about him.

Excellent advisors? Dude, what's up with GWB calling the Russian Presiden "Pooty Pooh" simply because he can't remember his name... he's a world leader for G's sake.

(sorry JRAF... rough morning :):)

And what exactly are the gears going to accomplish, with few checks (and those checks being called "muck" anyway).

They are only "checks" for those who favor Democratic agendas and policies--which I don't. They were not "checks" but chains. Let's hear it for freedom!

Yes, we bitch and moan about how Congress is deadlocked and can't get anything done.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

I'm with Claire Wolfe. This is part of the reason for my anti-voting diatribes yesterday. A quote from her:

"America's at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."

Here's what I'm really behind:

http://www.freestateproject.org
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Mark, if you take that quote of mine in context, you'll see that I DON'T think it's a bad thing. Like wendy said, I'd rather see some checks in the system.

Would I want every democratic agenda item to pass if both houses and the pres. were Democratic? NO.

Just like I don't want every republican agenda item to pass.

Yes, personally, I'm liberal and I fear what the next 2 years might bring. But I'd be just as leery if we went the opposite way.

We'll see. If the Republican's can't fix things, then what is going to happen?
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

It looks like the republicans have won both houses.

Does that mean that GWB is totally unopposed, and is that necessary a bad thing?

No, it doesn't mean he is unopposed -- it means his party has the largest number of congressmen in both the House and Senate, but to say he's "unopposed" simply isn't true. By all estimates at least 40 percent of the country still believes he's not doing the right things.

What changes do you expect to see that otherwise would have been stopped by the dems?

In a nutshell? The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. This would have happened anyway, but will happen now at a greater magnitude and faster pace.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver