jfields

Ballistic "Fingerprinting"

Then they come across someone who is going very far out of his way to make their job into a difficult circus. I'm not getting into the legal specifics, because I'm not a lawyer. But his intent was clearly to frustrate and hinder the police, even while ostensibly complying. If nothing else, his shenanigans wasted a lot of time.

Then they come across someone who is going very far out of his way to make sure they only do their job. His intent was clearly to secure and protect his property. His "shenanigans" may have taken a lot of the officers' time, but it doesn't look to me like his rifle helped a whole lot, did it?

Shows you what good registration does when people you don't/can't trust hold the list.

The situation was designed so they would look foolish no matter what, but they should have done better at defusing the situation.

(It's "diffusing")
They only looked foolish because they were screwing with someone who had managed to prepare himself. If they'd given it to him straight, things would have gone much more smoothly. Or if they had justification, they could have brought that out... The point it they didn't have any, so they got pissed when they didn't get their way.

If the general public all acted like this guy did, law enforcement would be far less effective than it is now and criminals would take even longer to be caught.

Yeah, and if we all had chips in our head, law enforcement would be far more effective and criminals would take less time to be caught. Want that?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

(It's "diffusing")

Main Entry: de·fuse
Function: transitive verb
Date: 1943
1 : to remove the fuse from (as a mine or bomb)
2 : to make less harmful, potent, or tense

Tom, way to throw me an easy one. I meant what I said.

If they'd given it to him straight, things would have gone much more smoothly.

I don't think it is an issue of straight versus crooked. I think the police should have communicated better, and more clearly explained what they were doing. Because things didn't go right does not instantly prove that they had bad intentions. It just showed that they could have been more proficient in the public relations part of their job.

Yeah, and if we all had chips in our head, law enforcement would be far more effective and criminals would take less time to be caught. Want that?

No. Just chips in the heads of the gun owners. I'm exempt. ;)

Main Entry: de·fuse

You were right, though so was I. The two words are very nearly identical. They appear to come from the same Latin and generally mean to spread out. I thought it might be stem-vowel changing or otherwise irregular because it didn't show in my spell check. [ms word, not dz.com] Shows what good trusting MS does you.

I think the police should have communicated better, and more clearly explained what they were doing. Because things didn't go right does not instantly prove that they had bad intentions.

I think they should have communicated more honestly. They finished the stated purpose of the visit, and proceeded to give the owner crap. Enough crap, in fact, that his wife, a former LEO, felt she needed to step in and end it. I'm not talking about proving bad intentions. That is impossible unless they leave an advance memo stating bad intentions.

From what I can see about the event [and I checked other reports, not just cnsn], the man was justified when he though to himself, "This is why I didn't want you in my house without them here."

No. Just chips in the heads of the gun owners. I'm exempt.

I shouldn't answer this, but what about chips in the heads of felons? Then people convicted of misdemeanors? Then speeders? Then suspected felons? Then everyone?

I know you were joking, but there's a little bit of truth in every joke. This one just shows that you hold yousrself totally apart from the other side of the argument. [hint: that's the first step to becoming totally closed-minded]
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I know you were joking, but there's a little bit of truth in every joke. This one just shows that you hold yousrself totally apart from the other side of the argument.

I do hold myself totally apart from the gun ownership advocates. I don't own a firearm. I never will. That means that I have made a personal decision, not that my mind is closed to ways of making gun ownership safer for both those that own them and those that don't. Even as someone who does not own a firearm, I have a vested interest in their safe use. My life, as well as those of my wife and daughter are somewhat reliant on the fact that people don't accidently or purposefully shoot us.

As for putting chips in people's heads, I'm not in favor of it. Just as you use the "slippery slope" to extend it hypothetically to everyone, it is just as easy to hypothetically extend the "right to bear arms" to weapons where one mistake would take out millions of lives. I'm interested in a reasonable position that protects both sides. Your right to firearm ownership and my right to live peacefully. Neither extreme will accomplish that task.