EFS4LIFE

Vigil AAD swooping

I have grown tired of reading through old threads in an attempt to find the answer to my question so I apologize if this has been asked and answered previously. I also wasn't sure if this should be in swooping and canopy control or gear and rigging. [:/]

While swooping what canopy size and WL can you expect to be approaching the 78 mph trigger for a vigil?

I am only at a 1.5 on a 136 right now and don't think I am anywhere near the parameters but I will be stepping down to a 120 with a 1.75 WL in the near future.

Does anyone know of a way I can measure my vertical speed during my turn? Would using time and distance measurement be accurate?

Trying to figure out how long I have to budget for a Cypress Speed ;)
I am an asshole, but I am honest

I have grown tired of reading through old threads in an attempt to find the answer to my question so I apologize if this has been asked and answered previously. I also wasn't sure if this should be in swooping and canopy control or gear and rigging. [:/]

While swooping what canopy size and WL can you expect to be approaching the 78 mph trigger for a vigil?

I am only at a 1.5 on a 136 right now and don't think I am anywhere near the parameters but I will be stepping down to a 120 with a 1.75 WL in the near future.

Does anyone know of a way I can measure my vertical speed during my turn? Would using time and distance measurement be accurate?

I don't know if it is accurate enough to be safe, but the Viso 2 altimeters can play back your vertical speeds after your jump.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I don't know if it is accurate enough to be safe, but the Viso 2 altimeters can play back your vertical speeds after your jump.

My Neptune shows freefall speeds I believe but not descent once under canopy that I am aware of. Does the Viso 2 show descent rate under canopy?

My Neptune shows freefall speeds I believe but not descent once under canopy that I am aware of. Does the Viso 2 show descent rate under canopy?

If it is set to display speed, then it certainly shows the descent rate under canopy in real time. It stores your maximum speed under canopy and it is one of the parameters displayed.

The Viso 2 has a replay mode that is advertised as from exit to landing, but I've never bothered to play with it.

BTW - I use my Viso on my hand, which goes against the L&B advice for accurate speed readings. In fact my speeds are all garbage (800MPh etc), but I suspect a quick email to confirm with L&B would tell you where a good place to mount it is.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Thanks guys. I have an older Neptune. Not sure if it has that on the display or not as I really don't use it much once under a good canopy and tend to rely on my eyes. I will be damned lol. If the older model doesn't do that I might have to upgrade to the N3. Not sure on the accuracy though as the freefall speeds always seem jacked up. I do where it on my hand though.

Would still be hard reading that mid hook. Maybe I could mount one somewhere else and have a small format camera pointed at it?

That max speed under canopy on the Viso seems like the ticket maybe.

I got a Viso2 in order to see the playback and I plotted the data in Excel to make sense of it. Doing the same turn repeatedly, I got consistent results with peak vertical speed around 140 feet on a Katana 150 loaded at 1.7 on a 270 degree turn. Doing the same turn higher up, I got higher speeds (makes sense!). Get a Viso 2!

As much as the WL, the wing type and turn type + technique determine how fast a dive speed you can achieve. The Cypres Speed does 2 critical things (maybe more!) - it raises the activation speed and it raises the height at which it says "you're on your own, now!" This is because the height that you reach peak velocity goes up with faster, longer-diving canopies. (Its working window is from 750 down to 330 feet rather than 750 down to 180 feet.

Ya Rich. I understand the parameters of the Speed vs Vigil. Just mainly trying to figure out if anyone has done the homework of figuring out when (size and WL wise) it is possible to near the parameters of the vigil. Obviously pilot skill comes into play but every canopy has a "terminal velocity" so to speak. Looks like I may have to get that Viso 2 though, and just see what I am currently achieving.

I bought the Vigil off student status when I thought "I would never swoop" and I liked the lesser overall cost and required maintenance. Now I am looking to trade it in the future I guess. *FACEPALM*

Which Neptune do you have? I believe you can get the software updated if it's a version 2 or 3. Not sure about older than that.

I still have an original Neptune from 2004. Everything can be updated
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Are you doing more than 360° with a high WL (+2.0)? No? No need for a swoop AAD.

But, if you are in doubt, use an AAD were you or somebody else can read the data (vertical speed)from it. It is very easy to determe than if you are in the dangerzone.

My old protrack 3rd signal always screamed in my ear during my recovery dive. Still not fast enough to be in the dangerzone.

This is a single data point, so take it for whatever that's worth. I was formation flying about 150 yds from a friend of mine under canopy - he's maybe 190lbs without gear, and was jumping a Katana 120. In the middle of a not-particularly-radical long front-riser carve, maybe 1100 feet above the ground, his Vigil fired.

There are lots of opinions, and again this is just one data point... but my considered opinion is that nothing could ever get me to aggressively turn/swoop with a Vigil.

If you get someone to film your landing, if you know your exact altitude for your first turn and then calculate your speed using hight and time?
Personally I used input of back risers as stop for the timing.

Or if you can decide exactly how long it takes to cover say 700 feet up higher and then calculate. Must be possible with Optima or Neptune? (performing 360s while timing)

This is what I did (the first option) but I was my own idea so maybe ask for some advice about this first.
(If it's a stupid idea I'm sure someone will point that out below soon....)