Sky_doggy

Semi stowless bags

Quick answer, yes, contact them, I'm pretty sure you'll need to either measure your current bag or pack tray (likely the bag) and they can get you a model of theirs that should work. That's my plan here soon.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

Why don't you check with Jerry Baumchem stowless bag, called the MAGBAG (AeroSports USA). Jerry asked me in 2011 to test it and the results were published in Blue Skies Magazine in the February 2012 issue. See pictures included in this post.

Here is the postal + email addresses.

Jerry Baumchem
AeroSports USA
7475 SW 160th Avenue
Beaverton, OR 97007 USA

email : [email protected]

Jerry Baumchem main deployment bag (the MagBag) is like a reserve D-bag unless it has strong pairs of magnets (2) to close the bag instead of Velcro. Also, instead of a safety stow found on reserves, it has two rubber bands to close the D-bag flap. I am using now two tandem tube stows which were only changed after 60-70 jumps. Not too bad.

Jerry will make a bag for you at the required dimensions. I still have the one he made for me at my specifications and I have used it the whole 2012 season with a total of about 100 jumps without any problem. My main canopy, a Katana 170, has been packed by myself and by professional packers. I had to brief them just a bit. The packers found out that they don't have to deal with time costly rubber band replacement anymore.

The MagBag allows the lines to be extracted from the center of the bag and avoiding the D-Bag rocking found at the deployment of D-Bags using rubber bands on the side. According several videos, lines extraction for the MagBag is cleaner with the lines almost straight. Have a look to what looks like a standard D-Bag line extraction and you will see the obvious difference.

I always said that if it's good for a reserve, it's good for a main.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hi Andre',

Just to update things slightly.

The MagBag project ( in which you were one of the volunteers ) was an R & D project to determine the feasibility and design of a MagBag. At that time, they were being built by others here in the US and in Europe. I wanted to see what I could come up with as a commercial product.

It worked great ( not every volunteer liked it [:/] ) but it is too hard to build IMO.

After thinking about all of this for many, many hours I got the bright idea of the NoStoBag; which is referenced in a post earlier in this thread.

IMO ( yes, I am biased ), the NoStoBag is better in every respect over the MagBag.

I have enough magnets to build about 4-5 more MagBags and would do so; after those magnets get used up ( if ever ), I will no longer build a MagBag.

If someone is interested in buying a NoStoBag, I suggest they contact my dealers for it:

On the west coast: http://www.gravitygear.com/store/home.html

On the east coast: http://www.chutingstar.com/

Hopefully, this will clarify things somewhat.

JerryBaumchen

I didn't jump your MagBag, but have jumped bags using magnets.
Never again....The various mods on the Berger design are far more preferable for a few reasons.
I wanna try one of your bags as well. Knowing you, it's well thought-out, and will perform properly all the time.

Thanks Jerry for the Magbag update. Will you be at the PIA symposium at Daytona Beach this year ? I am going. I hope to see there stowless bags on display, yours included. A better weather and temperature than Reno garanteed. A good break for you.
And could you send me a picture of your modified Magbag ?
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I have UPT bags in most of my RI Voodoo's and FX's.

What sort of information did you have to provide to UPT for sizing info? I have an FX5 and was thinking about changing out the bag but was unsure how the "cross manufacturer" thing worked.

Get with one of the riggers at the dz if you're unsure.

You're at one of the DZ's out there where you can throw a rock and hit two riggers and a pilot.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hi Andre',

Will you be at the PIA symposium at Daytona Beach this year ?

If all goes as planned I will arrive late on the evening of Sat, 23rd of March.

I hope to see there stowless bags on display, yours included.

There will be one or more on display at the ChutingStar facility in DeLand. I hope to have one in my briefcase but I think it is against the rules to try to sell/display without having a booth. I only sell them through dealers, except for demo models.

And could you send me a picture of your modified Magbag ?

You can find the photos here:

http://www.chutingstar.com/gear/aerosports-nostobag

If you cannot see them from the link, drop me an email and I'll send them to you directly.

modified Magbag

It is NOT a modified MagBag; it is a NoStoBag. B|

See you in Daytona,

JerryBaumchen

You're at one of the DZ's out there where you can throw a rock and hit two riggers and a pilot.

But they're usually much more cooperative if you toss 'em a beer (and make sure they're ready to catch it, first). :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi out there in Rigging-Land,

If someone is interested in buying a NoStoBag, I suggest they contact my dealers for it:

On the west coast: http://www.gravitygear.com/store/home.html

On the east coast: http://www.chutingstar.com/

I just realized that this is incorrect. Gravity Gear is NOT a dealer for the NoStoBag; they are a dealer for some other products that I make.

One other dealer ( besides ChutingStar ) is:

http://www.aerostore.com/

JerryBaumchen