droyer

Gear selection

Hey all.

I'm looking for advices on gear selection. Before you all go off on the 'buy used and put yo money on jump tickets', my rig got stolen and insurance covers the loss. So I actually need to buy new. Money is not an issue as long as I stay within the replacement cost (6.5-7k list price).

I'm looking for advices, tips, helpful opinions on some gear. If you tried them, please send me a message or reply here with your opinion!

- Container: Mirage G4 vs Vortex II vs Mirage G3 ?
- Main: Safire2 159 vs Hurricane 170 vs ??

Especially on the canopy. If anyone tried them both and could tell me how they fly compared to each other. I was flying a Hurricane 170, and liked it. Opens relatively fast and smooth, aggressive on turns, nice flare. I don't know how the Safire2 would compare to it, and even if a Crossfire2 would be more comparable to the Hurricane. I hope someone can help me.

Container: I'm not pro at packing. So for me, the easiest to pack is ideal. Just looking for a good all-around container (freefly ready, etc.).

Thanks in advance. Hope to get constructive and instructive answers!

If you get a ZPX Pilot, it will be smaller and easier to pack, for an equivalent size. Just something to think about.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I tried to side/stack/factory pack my ZPX Pilot, it would not at all cooperate. I know others do it, but I could not. I finally realized that I had to learn to propack. Just give in and learn. Even old guys can learn how to do it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Hey,

if the 100 jumps in your profile are correct, the Hurricane is probably not a great plan for a little while, though as you say it is quick on toggles and has great flare.

Safire2 is a brilliant canopy though, if a deal on one came along in my size I would grab it.

I haven't jumped Mirages (and only a few on a VortexII that didn't fit me well) so can't comment on the container choices.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Hey,

if the 100 jumps in your profile are correct, the Hurricane is probably not a great plan for a little while, though as you say it is quick on toggles and has great flare.

Safire2 is a brilliant canopy though, if a deal on one came along in my size I would grab it.

I haven't jumped Mirages (and only a few on a VortexII that didn't fit me well) so can't comment on the container choices.

That's interesting. I guess not everyone have the same learning curve. I did 85 jumps out of my 100 on the hurricane 170 ^^