blueskys25

cost of skydiving

Compare the cost of getting licensed in the US compared to several other countries. We may not be the cheapest, but we are far from the most expensive. It is cheaper to fly to the US and get your "A" license than it is to just complete "student progression" in some nations. Also compare the start up cost of skydiving versus the startup cost of many hobbies. Many will be cheaper, but many hobbies will also cost a lot more. Yes it would be nice to jump for cheaper, but is there really a price on learning to save your life?

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

Some things are expensive. Airplanes are one of them, and we need airplanes to skydive.

Running a business that depends on the weather is also expensive. You have to plan ahead, and have enough cash in reserve to survive when you get rained out three weekends in a row. Multiply that factor by two if the DZ isn't a year-round operation (most of them).

There are other things to do with your time that cost less than skydiving. They all suck, but they are cheaper.

It's been said before, but if you want to jump and are broke, learn to pack. Every DZ needs packers, and I'm sure you could pay for your training with about six months of packing on the weekends.

Six more months of packing will buy your first rig. Then it's simple, pack four rigs, and go make a jump. Repeat. It pays for itself.

we need to make the skydiving training more affordable here in the United States.:)

Hi BS25

Have we got a deal for you:)
Join the army, try out for the golden knights and if you make the teamB| Free tunnel time free coachng, free jumps and free gear:)

we need to make the skydiving training more affordable here in the United States.:)

Hi BS25

Have we got a deal for you:)
Join the army, try out for the golden knights and if you make the teamB| Free tunnel time free coachng, free jumps and free gear:)

After an all expenses paid trip to Iraq or Afganistan.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

If you truly want to afford to jump, make it possible for yourself. I've been a packer for 3 years now so that I can afford to make 200+ jumps a year plus buy new gear and travel to boogies and take a riggers' course and get my AFF rating. Now that I have an instructional rating, I have that to help make it more affordable.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Just to put things into perspective, try boating. Get a reasonable boat, say a 20 footer, for about $20k. Then add in dock fees, license fees, fuel and other sundries and all of a sudden that $20k is the small part of the investment. I used to hang with the PCA, Porsche Club of America. Take the cost of a Porsche, add in insurance, fuel, club fees, track day fees, tires, parts, etc, and it's very easy to crack $5k per year just in the cost of ownership, never mind the cost of the car.

Suddenly AFF, a rig and jump tickets don't seem to be so expensive. After training and rig purchase, a day at the DZ is cheaper than a day at the lake or the track.

That would be nice, however "cheaper" or "less expensive" does not always mean quality.

I have been in the solo training program at the dz where I jump for some time now, and I am rapidly going broke and indebt over the cost( most of which is because of my own learning difficulties[:/]), might even have to take a temporary layoff from jumping because of it, however I would not trade the quality training I am now getting to go to some place that might offer less expensive training.

There is going to be a point in the future where the quality training I am getting now will pay off in some way.

So, yes in the short term I am $$hurting$$, but the payoff will be in the long term:)

Just to put things into perspective, try boating. Get a reasonable boat, say a 20 footer, for about $20k. Then add in dock fees, license fees, fuel and other sundries and all of a sudden that $20k is the small part of the investment.
Suddenly AFF, a rig and jump tickets don't seem to be so expensive. After training and rig purchase, a day at the DZ is cheaper than a day at the lake or the track.

Yup. Compared to any other sport or hobby, it really is not that expensive...

Scott is right on as well, it cost a DZO who maintains the equipment they are providing a lot. It is not cheap to keep an Otter (or 3) well maintained and flying, buying student and rental gear and keeping that maintained, not to mention all the other overhead.
I am also willing and more than happy to pay a premium to jump at a DZ that offers the best, well maintained equipment staff and program like at the DZ where I work and play, and hell, jump tickets are only $20, that is cheap when considering all the overhead involved.

There is an awful lot of overhead to manage a quality DZ, just staggering…
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

US is pretty good compared to the UK. £18-20 jump tickets (thats $36-40) is the norm. Coz i'm a student there is one place that does jumps for £10 ($20) and i'm not going to spend any less, i'm just going to jump more! As for training, well, it was cheaper for me to fly over to spain, stay there for a week in a hotel and do my aff+10 consols then to do it in this country. Think there were similar offers in the states!

S/L is still cheap ;);) - A license for less than 1000 dollars (not including buying gear) is possible at more than 1 dropzone that I have heard of.

definitely. A license for like ~$700 I think is what I've heard last at my home DZ

MB 3528, RB 1182

I'm slowly working my way through AFF a the moment, mainly because I lost my "real" job back in Sept. To compensate, I'm starting up a remodeling business. Hey, they aren't shipping houses offshore. Anyway, funds for jumping are scarce, but where there's a will, a way will be found. If and when I get to a point that the business is doing fairly well, I'll jump way more often and have my own rig.

Hang in there, financial difficulties are usually temporary.

Shop around Many different Dropzones provide a service for different prices depending on where they are in the country. I hear Lodi is a pretty low buck place to get started. Or you can pack for money
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Skydiving is a high-end motor sport (aircraft)....and is one of the cheaper motor sports.

If you want a cheap sport consider non-motor sports: BASE, Climbing; the Big5, etc.

Running a DZ is full of Costs...I'm suprised that quality DZ's can still operate while only charging $20 per jump ticket.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't love to see a DZ that offers $10 Jump Tickets on a brand new PAC (in fact I would spend my vacation there) or to be able to buy a new quality rig for $500....but it just ain't gonna' happen.

I wonder if people on Yacht racing sites complain about the cost of Yachts?
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

Skydiving is a high-end motor sport (aircraft)....and is one of the cheaper motor sports.

This is the essence of the cost of skydiving! I have people all the time that whine at me about how they would never skydive because of the cost. I ask them to show me a MOTORSPORT that is not expensive, and I usually get a blank stare. "What motor? All you have is your parachute!" Then I try as diplomatically as possible to point out that the aircraft that we jump out of has one or two rather large, fuel guzzling engines so that I can get up far enough from the earth to jump out and use my "parachute"!!!
It is still one of the lower cost motorsports around (to participate in). B|

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Never thought of skydiving as a motor sport, but I guess when you put it this way it makes good sense. I also never complained about the cost either. I've found creative way's to fund it and will continue to do so into the future. :)