lov3skydiving

looking to buy first canopy... advice please!

I am in the process of buying gear, and I am having some trouble deciding what to do for a main canopy. My last few jumps have been on a triathalon 190. The size feels comfortable, but I would prefer a two stage flare. I have been looking for a Sabre 2 190, but they seem very popular, so I guess I am looking for some advice on used canopies I can look for that are comparable to the Sabre 2. I have been doing research, but I am not very educated on canopies. I want something more conservative to start. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/A_Guide_to_Buying_Your_First_Skydiving_Gear_873.html

You seem to be relatively new to the sport. Get a second hand, and test jump it a couple of times before you buy. Check for lines, material etc. Take it to a rigger, or just ask the old boys at the club.
Also, remember that you are jumpin a 7 cell, not a 9 cell......So be advised before taking on a new canopy.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I did many jumps on a triathlon too when I was on rental gear!

Canopies similar-ish to a Sabre2 could be a Safire2, Pulse or Pilot, The latter being what almost all of my last 400 jumps have been on. Good fun, all round canopy.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Can't go wrong with a Pulse! It's responsive when you want it to be and it recovers quickly from a dive and has a very flat glide. This means you can get back to the DZ from a long spot pretty easy.
If you can, demo some canopies. I thought I would like a Sabre as my first canopy but after jumping it I did not like how it sunk strait out of the sky. Felt like I was on the Tower of Terror with it just loosing so much altitude compared to the Spectre I had been jumping.
But again, try demoing. I can almost guarantee you would love the Pulse!

I'll chime in with yet another recommendation for the Pulse. I put a few hundred jumps on three different sizes in the past year. I managed to demo almost every canopy recommended for new jumpers (Sabre2 Safire2 Pilot Spectre etc etc) and the Pulse fit the bill better than all of them.

Great openings that are reasonably speedy and short but not hard, endless glide, quick fun turns with relatively light toggle pressure and it is very very easy to land. Plus they hold their value really well on the resale market.

I'll chime in with yet another recommendation for the Pulse. I put a few hundred jumps on three different sizes in the past year. I managed to demo almost every canopy recommended for new jumpers (Sabre2 Safire2 Pilot Spectre etc etc) and the Pulse fit the bill better than all of them.

Great openings that are reasonably speedy and short but not hard, endless glide, quick fun turns with relatively light toggle pressure and it is very very easy to land. Plus they hold their value really well on the resale market.

I'm on the same boat as OP. What do you think about the PD Storm?

If the Storm is sized and loaded properly I don't see the issue. A bunch of folks I know picked up one for their first canopy. Likewise the big sized Storms are frequently off the demo / rental racks at ZHills used by new jumpers that don't have their own stuff yet.

That being said...I hated the Storm when I demoed it after I had my A (a 210 right around 1:1). I didn't like the steep trim and found the flare a bit difficult to time. Swore off 7 cells forever. Of course now I own a Storm. Lol. If you have no experience on 7 cells and have the ability to get your hands on a Storm, Spectre or Tri to demo it would be worth the time and money.

Last thought: I purchased the Storm because I wanted alarger control range than I had on the Pulse. In a slow flight regime (either in a braked configuration or on rears) - in particular - the responsiveness of the canopy is impressive.

Just these low jump chump's thoughts...

If the Storm is sized and loaded properly I don't see the issue. A bunch of folks I know picked up one for their first canopy. Likewise the big sized Storms are frequently off the demo / rental racks at ZHills used by new jumpers that don't have their own stuff yet.

That being said...I hated the Storm when I demoed it after I had my A (a 210 right around 1:1). I didn't like the steep trim and found the flare a bit difficult to time. Swore off 7 cells forever. Of course now I own a Storm. Lol. If you have no experience on 7 cells and have the ability to get your hands on a Storm, Spectre or Tri to demo it would be worth the time and money.

Last thought: I purchased the Storm because I wanted alarger control range than I had on the Pulse. In a slow flight regime (either in a braked configuration or on rears) - in particular - the responsiveness of the canopy is impressive.

Just these low jump chump's thoughts...

Thanks for the insight!
The PD Storm I was looking into would have been the 170, which would have put my WL at 0.94 strictly according to http://www.flyfirebird.com/catalog/information.php/info_id/14