splat123

Free fly pud

I jump a wings pud and notice no real difference when back to backing with another wings wet up with a hackey. There was always a split second bum pucker factor when my hand found something other than I was used to but there was no real difference in the pull itself IIRC. I know its common to teach a pull down/in then out motion for puds which is what I drilled when first jumping the rig but frankly I find I just pull like any other throw away deployment setup.

Mine has just the one tab of folded cordura making up the tab which tucks under the right hand closing flap by the entrance to the spandex BOC. I've seen others (can't remember if later wings or other manufacturers) with other designs which may mean your experience is different to mine.

I wouldn't suggest simply let the pud float free - that to me seems inviting a premi. A free-floating pud would oscillate in the wind in my mind and could work the PC out. Maybe if the mouth of the boc is tight enough you could stow it there but I'd say swapping to a hackey would be better long term if you're not getting on with the pud.

Wonder if not locating tab will make pull easier...

The following are LouDiamonds words from an old thread. I don't know how similar the wings and UPT puds are but it might be worth looking at.

"Something you might want to look at, as I use the UPT freefly handle on one of my rigs, that I found works for me. The handle has a piece of plastic sewn between the cordura that acts as a stiffener which is tucked under the lip of the container and keeps the actual handle secure and in place for freeflying. For wingsuit jumps I don't tuck that stiffener under the container flap but leave it out. The handle still stays in place and the exposed plastic gives you additional positive tactile feedback with or without gloves on. I found that with the stiffener in place under the container the pull was not as smooth as I like. However, on regular skydives I tuck the plastic under the container flap as designed.."

Think I am going to stick with pud for now, really like how secure it is. Had a premmy sit flying a container not suitable once, has made me VERY aware of piliot chute security.
Think a lot is to do with thick gloves (roll on summer ) & not being used to pud.
Will keep me pulling high for a while anyhow:D