Deci

Want to buy a skydiving rig? Do it this way!

I see very interesting Info on that site ...
I but I also see money making advertising on that site ...
I see who ist the "owner" of that site ...

I see multiple references to that site the last days

Therefor I see a violation of the forum rules!

B|

BUT: Thanks for your time and effort to create that information just a litte less pushing please ;-)

Determine the reserve first.

It's kind of chicken and egg, isn't it? I agree with choose the reserve first, but I wanted to make a point of getting a reserve at least one size up from the main you intend to jump.
CSPA D-1046 TI Coach2 RiggerA JM SSI SSE GCI EJR Canadian 102-way record holder
bard.ca

...except that you have the wrong order on main and reserve.

Determine the reserve first.

It's not a chicken egg decision!

You post and make reccomondations on how to purchase gear,...

Therfore everey swooper jumping and idiot sized 90 or 100 sq ft canopy isn't going to read your words. So who is going to read what you have written? People who don't know any better?? First timers?

Which means your answer to purchase a reserve one size larger than your main, allthough admirable advice, :)

How many whuffos read this forum and want to downsize their main, because they want to follow the crowd,...and they have no idea and or experience to make downsizing diecisions? Just do a search on this forum to see just how many times people have stated they want to downsize in the future, (they don't know why?) but they want to ask the genereal skydiving public gear advice in order to do this ill advised purchase.

Pop's makes a great point here about the reserve size being the first decision to make and makeing a size determination based upon factors other than how it looks or percived ability!

John LeBlanc and Sherman, and Booth, and just about everyone else on the planet has the final word when they point out and make the statement:

"What if your unconscious??"

Let's see ya land your K 90 then...
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Not bad. I've got to say you've got guts to even attempt this and post the link here. Already some are attacking you and accusing you of advertising. My advice for what it's worth is to add a disclaimer to the intro at the top saying that this advice is only meant as a starting point and that newbs should consult their local riggers and instructors as well as getting good general ideas from your excellent article. That may help keep some noses from getting out of joint. Of course it also makes things muddier for them, but maybe that's appropriate.
Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

you’ll maybe still want a 170-sized reserve (4-8 times larger than your main).

Might wanna reword that as well, 4-8 times larger is just wrong. Maybe you meant 4-8 sizes? Even then, you're not necessarily giving advice to someone buying their first rig who's a big guy jumping a tiny cross-braced canopy. They already know what they're doing.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee