2 2
Shredex

How long do container's last?

maaaaan! The Admin should add a like button on the forum ASAP! I'm cracking up here!

On a serious note, my Vector 3, DOM July-07 has some 1200 jumps on it. The only "damage" on it is 3 broken E-threads and a small spot of frayed binding tape on the reserve flap. :)

It has been with me on many travels and different DZ's. But I'm taking well care of it. I had to change the harness after some 5-600 jumps because they had to cut me out of the harness though..[:/]

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

I have a year 2000 Infinity that has approximately 2500 jumps on it, and it's still in really good shape. I've replaced the tuck tab twice I think, and within the last 12 months I had to put a little patch on one of the main panels because one of our (ahem...) wonderful students who rented it tried to land it across a barbed wire fence.

Where you pack, how you pack, and how you take care of the rig obviously has a MASSIVE impact on how these things last. Packed outside, dragged by the lines, in southern cal or arizona will demolish a rig. Packed indoors, where it's grassy and moderately humid, using a mat or not dragging the container when you pack it... and they'll last damn near forever.

I got a brand new custom new rig few years back and with the pandemic and economy right now..I have quit the sport. Selling the canopies and aad. But wanted to hold onto the container for that slim chance if I ever get back into the sport. :(

How long can I keep the container for with proper dry storage? It was made in 2018. 0 Jumps. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, hellodarrentan said:

How long can I keep the container for with proper dry storage? It was made in 2018. 0 Jumps. Thanks. 

read the comment above this one.  damned near forever it says.  i jump a javelin made in '94.  has some stains on it and you do not want to freefly with it, but it is airworthy, jumped once yesterday.

(edited)
On 2/12/2013 at 11:33 PM, Shredex said:

On average, how many jumps can you get on a container before it's un-airworthy?
Well-kept vs. Not well-kept

A friend still jumps a pair of Sweethogs... and they look factory fresh.
(one was even retro'ed for a Cypres by SSK themselves)

I'm thinking of putting my 1991 Vector II back in the air.

On the other hand, I've known of some pilot rigs (same materials) that were forcibly retired by the factory after 2 years of use.   ETA - these were a group of specific rigs, grounded due to condition (prolonged sun exposure) during inspection, not a categoric grounding of a make/model for age, etc... 
Example given to show how user treatment of the gear plays a critical role in how long they last.

How old a rig I will inspect/pack for others, is a completely different question.

JW

Edited by fcajump
  • Like 1

I still have my 1983 Warp 3 by National. While it is a really poor design, there is nothing about the container condition itself that makes it unairworthy. It probably had 5-600 jumps on it when I stopped jumping it. I packed it a number of times during my rigger training in 1997. The canopies that are currently in it however are a whole other story!

• Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 5:31 AM, sfzombie13 said:

read the comment above this one.  damned near forever it says.  i jump a javelin made in '94.  has some stains on it and you do not want to freefly with it, but it is airworthy, jumped once yesterday.

Mine is '91 :)

An old thread and it was alluded to, but I'd also want to know where it was jumped. Out in the desert with all of the sand and dust, or East coast with grass...Sand from a few dirt baths will probably shorten the life of gear by half.

On 5/9/2021 at 4:00 AM, hellodarrentan said:

Basically forever. But it will go out of style and become obsolete over the years. Don't keep it if you think your layoff will be more than 10 years or so.

• Like 1