2 2
Shredex

How long do container's last?

It all depends on care and maintenance, but if you take care of a rig, it will literally last for 1000's of jumps.

If you're looking to buy a used rig, and concerned about the age or jump numbers, having a rigger inspect it will reveal a lot about the rig and how it was cared for.

If you're looking at a new rig and wondering how long it will last, take care of it and it will be jumping longer than you will (probably).

Recently I visited Mirage and saw a rig there which had 2500 jumps on it. The owner shipped it in to get parts of the harness replaced. Except those few parts the rest looked very good, more like 500 than 2500 jumps. If you take good care of your rig it should live very long.

Still have my bitchin' 1983 Racer :D I'd jump it tomorrow if I had a second set of gear to put into it.

I have a wonderhog older than that, in great condition...but who wants to jump a round reserve anymore? ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Still have my bitchin' 1983 Racer :D I'd jump it tomorrow if I had a second set of gear to put into it.

I have a wonderhog older than that, in great condition...but who wants to jump a round reserve anymore? ;)

Who doesn't? :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It will vary based on conditions it was jumped in and how you take care of it. If you take care of it, it would not be unusual for a rig to last 3-4k jumps. Most people will not make 3K jumps, and even fewer of those will do it without buying several rigs in that time frame for downsizing or just 'want'.

I have 6k jumps and have had 5 rigs. I could still be jumping the 2nd rig, but I wanted a new one. And the same can be said of every rig after that, in fact I still have from #3 to #5 and still jump 4 & 5. (I could jump #3, but I have it set up as a tunnel rig and would need canopies). And all being said, I could still be jumping my first rig... But I would need to still be jumping a 200sqft canopy.

If you are looking to buy a used rig.... Age is more important than jumps, mainly because of upgrades. I'd rather have a 2 year old container with 2k jumps than a 30 year old container with 100 jumps on it. Number of jumps should be considered in deciding the price, but ugly rigs might still be airworthy.

If you are looking to buy new, and are like most people, you will choose to get rid of the container long before its service life ends.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ah, but 'Twardo probably bought it new Smile

Twardo most likely saved up his clams from delivering stone tablets to save up for it. Then he had to most likely wait for the cavemen to learn to sew to make it, the ice age to end before he could jump it, and it came with a pterodactyl... Not the canopy, the dinosaur... as a main.

I'm saying he is old.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ah, but 'Twardo probably bought it new Smile

Twardo most likely saved up his clams from delivering stone tablets to save up for it. Then he had to most likely wait for the cavemen to learn to sew to make it, the ice age to end before he could jump it, and it came with a pterodactyl... Not the canopy, the dinosaur... as a main.

I'm saying he is old.

:o

Clams? i WISH i was was makin' clams back then...:ph34r:

I really need to start unloading some of this gear I've got laying around. :)

I have a couple 270sqft reserves never deployed & only packed once every couple of years...:$:ph34r:

Got a 260 Excalibur with 2 jumps on it! :S

A Pap, A PC, A T-bow...a minisystem & a stylemaster...a bird no ripcord reserve container, a never jumped 'Force' container I built myself...:$

I bet there are a LOTTA n00bs that would just love to jump well cared for gear! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I'm only asking out of curiosity.
I was explaining to my boss how F-111 canopies don't last as long as ZP canopies, and how you have to get the lines changed and what not.
And then he asked me how long the rig itself lasts, to which I just scratched my head..."Good question!"

Chuck Norris jumps a 24' twill flat as a main. And he deliberately retro-fitted it with acid mesh just to make a style statement.

Service life depends uon how well you take care of it.
If you over-stuff it, pack sloppily, "drag" your landings through desert sand, leave it laying out in the sun, etc. you will lucky to get 500 jumps out of a harness/container.
OTOH if you take good care of a harness/container: stand-up all landings, only land on grass, only pack indoors, have it regularly inspected by a Master Rigger, repair it at the first sign of wear, etc. it can last up to 5,000 jumps.

I really need to start unloading some of this gear I've got laying around. :)

I have a couple 270sqft reserves never deployed & only packed once every couple of years...:$:ph34r:

Got a 260 Excalibur with 2 jumps on it! :S

A Pap, A PC, A T-bow...a minisystem & a stylemaster...a bird no ripcord reserve container, a never jumped 'Force' container I built myself...:$

I bet there are a LOTTA n00bs that would just love to jump well cared for gear! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Oooo, Ooooo, Oooooo!!!!!!!

You've got me salivating. I've been looking for some of this stuff. Read your messages.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Jim,

a bird no ripcord reserve container

I was at a boogie up in the Spokane, WA area when that rig first showed up. Ralph Hatley and I were looking it over and he said, 'The most expensive part of that rig are the capewells & the velcro.'

:P

JerryBaumchen

PS) And for the trivia money: How many of you out there in DizzyLand have seen a reserve container without a ripcord?

PS) And for the trivia money: How many of you out there in DizzyLand have seen a reserve container without a ripcord?

Wanna start a History & Trivia thread?
(But as for your challenge: I saw a mouldy old one locally that Beatnik tells me is a Tom Cook version of a Bird container. A rip-off rip-off so to speak. Plus my first instructor jumped a container with a shoulder mounted throwout reserve PC - it was a custom build 20+ years back, not the Aussie system that had that. )

I see them, usually after a chop and they dropped their handles. :P

I also have a chest container with a PLASTIC ripcord handle.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I have, but on a Sorcerer :P
oh and IIRC I did see one during my course at USAPR
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Chuck Norris jumps a 24' twill flat as a main. And he deliberately retro-fitted it with acid mesh just to make a style statement.

Oh yeah? >:(

Well MINE has 4-line releases on the back AND front risers, cored the 550 for weight...and has a crown mod made from '68 Plymouth Fury seat-belts...AND it's dyed pink! ;)

Oh yeah? >:(

Well MINE has 4-line releases on the back AND front risers, cored the 550 for weight...and has a crown mod made from '68 Plymouth Fury seat-belts...AND it's dyed pink! ;)

Norris don't need no stinkin' 4-line release. He just looks, and it obeys.