uberchris

snap buttons

search turned up nothing BTW.........

im playing around experimenting with puttin snap buttons in some old climbing webbing i have lying around, and having a BITCH of a time. i bought a dritz plier kit and some #24 snaps, but im not sure if anyone uses these pliers in this type of application, or do you use a snap press? im using a hot exacto blade to get the hole sized properly in the webbing.

any tips or pictures?

im going up to my rigger this weekend but since i spent 30 bucks today im trying to not accept defeat

so far the snaps and snap pliers are smarter than i =(
gravity brings me down.........

that looks a helluvalot easier than this stupid cheap plier that i got.

im not sure about the webbing im using, i grabbed some old climbing webbing that looks to be about 1/8" maybe?

the right foot on my phantom3 needs a snap button to attach to the body of the suit under canopy, and its two layers of webbing doubled back on itself. if i can install snaps on cheap climbing webbing without problems, then ill try to install it on my wingsuit.

if not ill take it to a rigger, but this seems fairly straight forward

thanks for the link

also, just curious, whats the best way to put an even hole through thin webbing? i was using a sharp punch with a mallot at work today and it seemed to work after a few good hits, then i used a lighter to seal up the edges. any advice?

Hi chris,

The attached photo is what I am now using.

On the left is a multi-punch that works fairly good for webbing/fabric. It does not cut 100% of the hole but you can just pull away what it does cut and you would be good to go.

The punch on the left I bought last year from a local upholstery repair shop; ~$135 or so.

And the red fabric are some sample/practice snaps that I set when I first got it.

I have used many types of devices to set snaps and this is the best that I have found.

The little kits that someone posted have never worked for me; simply because they do not control the 'hammer' when compressing the parts. The 'hammer' just wants to move around. This plier that I found keeps everything in a very proper orientation so you get good results.

If you need anything further I what I bought, drop me a PM and I'll get some more info for you.

Hope that this helps somewhat,

JerryBaumchen

The little kits that someone posted have never worked for me; simply because they do not control the 'hammer' when compressing the parts. The 'hammer' just wants to move around. This plier that I found keeps everything in a very proper orientation so you get good results.

The kit I posted has a cylindrical slide piece that works to control everything pretty well. It takes some practice, of course, but the outside cylinder slides down to press against the parts, holding them together, while the center rod stays in place on the shank, pressing it down. I've installed about 1,000 snap sets using these.

I think the trick is to start with light taps and then slightly harder taps to finish.

Chris

Hi chutist,

I've installed about 1,000 snap sets using these.

That is great; and that is not a snarky comment.

I always think it is great when someone finds something that works for them. Looks to me like you have the process going 100%.

Clumsy old me could never get a decent setting;ergo, go to the store & spend $$$$.

:)

JerryBaumchen

I always think it is great when someone finds something that works for them.

JerryBaumchen

We're on the same page :) You're part of the reason I have a Consew SK-6F instead of a 733. I was reading your reviews of similar machines from a couple/three years back before buying. It's cheaper, smaller, easier to operate with precision (for me), and it has few limitations with most harness repair needs.

styled, they are nice and tight!

i get so obsessive compulsive sometimes. i wouldnt have slept tonite unless i accomplished this

Not bad! If you ever set one that you don't like, just take a medium drill bit (3/16"-1/4") and drill out the center crown area. You only need to take off that small circle in the center, and the parts will fall apart.