droyer

New rig / downsizing question

Hey all.

First of all, thanks in advance for reading this, and hopefully giving me a piece of advice... or two!

It's time for me to buy a new complete rig. I'm a beginner (100 jumps), 165lbs, and was jumping a Vortex II / Hurricane 170 rig. Even after 100ish jumps, I got very comfortable with the Hurricane 170, although I do not swoop just yet.

I'm thinking going with a Mirage G4 + Safire2 149. I was wondering how the handling of the Safire2 was, compared to a full elliptical like the Hurricane. Also, I'll be going from 1.12 to 1.26. I'm not sure what the jump in size will look like.

Any piece of advice out there? Oh also, I was thinking going with the Icarus Reserve 149.

Thanks in advance!!

I got very comfortable with the Hurricane 170, although I do not swoop just yet.

Can you do this with your hornet? http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Canopy_Control/Downsizing_Checklist_47.html

Yea. Definitely and easily.

How many jumps do you have on the Hurricane 170? You said 100ish total jumps, just curious how many on that canopy.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Honestly, I'd say don't do it. Quick question, what size reserve does that rig have? 143? That's pushing 1.3 w/l on a new canopy you only use when shit hits the fan, and it flies very different of the main.

The Safire2 is a great canopy, but I highly doubt you've checked everything on that list off with the level of proficiency you have on that canopy. I could be wrong, but I'll never know.

I've got ~600 jumps, weigh a little more than you and I still jump a Safire2 169, it does well and I honestly CAN put it wherever I want. I could go to a 149 and probably even a 135 not too soon afterwords, but there's no reason for me to do so.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hey all.

First of all, thanks in advance for reading this, and hopefully giving me a piece of advice... or two!

It's time for me to buy a new complete rig. I'm a beginner (100 jumps), 165lbs, and was jumping a Vortex II / Hurricane 170 rig. Even after 100ish jumps, I got very comfortable with the Hurricane 170, although I do not swoop just yet.

I'm thinking going with a Mirage G4 + Safire2 149. I was wondering how the handling of the Safire2 was, compared to a full elliptical like the Hurricane. Also, I'll be going from 1.12 to 1.26. I'm not sure what the jump in size will look like.

Any piece of advice out there? Oh also, I was thinking going with the Icarus Reserve 149.

Thanks in advance!!

How often do you jump a camera? Nave you weighed yourself with all your gear on?

Hey all.

Thanks in advance!!

How often do you jump a camera? Nave you weighed yourself with all your gear on?

Thanks everyone for the amazing inputs. I pretty much made my mind not to downsize to 149. That's too steep for me at this point.

I don't jump cameras yet, and when I will do, it'll be a gopro anyways. Just waiting for a proper mount for my helmet.

Again, thanks all!

I've got 84 jumps on it. Bought it right after completing my solo.

You waited until your jump numbers were in double figures to get an elliptical?

What was the matter - you get skeered?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA