Breakfast:
8 oz. of soy milk
6 oz. of Diet V8 Splash - Kiwi/Strawberry flavor
1 pkg. Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

Lunch:
1 small container Cinnamon Applesauce
1 cup of Rice Oriental
1 bite size Snickers bar

3 cups of coffee with powdered creamer so far and 48 oz. of water.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Had two peices of toast with strawberry jelly, and a large glass of OJ.

I purchased the Power 90 Program a while ago but i appear to have a motivation problem and never really got into until a week ago. I hit 205 was like oh hell no!!! I look in the mirror and know i could look damn good if i could just shed this fat and build my body back up. I would love to hear anything you have to say.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

We still have leftover Halloween candy running around the office. Every work day is cheat day right now :(

The first part of getting somewhere (better eating habits, exercise, whatever) is identifying accurately where you actually are.

Not where you think you are, or where you wish you were, or where you'd be if your friend didn't tempt you, or anything else.

Reality bites [:/]

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Steve,

Here are some tips I learned:

1. Cut out the butter. Try "Take Control" Lite. It takes a little getting used to, but it is worth the results.
2. Skim milk.
3. Lite Breads, the ones that are only 40 calories.
4. Eat alot of vegetables. (Potato's are not really a vegetable, they are a starch).
5. Fat free dressings.
6. Sugar substitutes (I know, not necessarily good for you, but they do help tremendously in losing weight. Obesity I think is more dangerous)
7. There is actually Fat Free Half and Half for your coffee creamers.
8. Good quality Turkey breast.
9. Limit your pasta. You don't need as much as you think.
10. Eat slowly. It takes your brain 20 minutes to register the food intake. You will find that your hunger is satisfied on alot less food.
11. Also, be prepared! Don't let yourself be caught hungry. Have a healthy snack always on hand, such as fruit. This will prevent you from grabbing whatever is available when the hunger hits you.
12. And dare I say this here....limit the beer big time!

Good luck. PM me if you want to learn anymore.

Chris

i find it nearly impossible to stick to a "diet" with a name or clearly mapped out menus or instructions. what always has worked best for me is to make a point of only eating when i'm truly hungry, make good choices when i do decide i'm hungry, and cut back on the beer (ooohh!!!! that's the hardest part!!!). avoid added sugars and don't eat too late at night. stay as physically active as you can - even if it's not a total workout regimen - just to keep your metabolism up.

i didn't even try when i lost the last five pounds i lost. i stepped on the scale one day and said, "well, that can't be right..." but it was!

p.s. this is not typical for me. i have to be SOOOO careful what i eat - i can gain weight just from watching pizza hut commercials.
spiral out...keep going...

Yeah, I lost like 40lbs on the "eat a little less than usual and move around a bit, lardass!" diet. No pain, no depravation, just common sense eating and a bit of exercise. I tried a few serious regimented diets and always failed when I slacked off.

so like eating the normal three squares, and then a healthy snack between each meal regardless of if your hungry or not?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I totally agree with this. The worst thing to do while dieting is to starve yourself. You can eat several healthy meals or snacks a day and still lose weight. The key is to keep your body satisfied.

It's all about what you take in and what you burn.

the "eat a little less than usual and move around a bit, lardass!" diet

yeah this is basically my approach. I've never been on any sort of "diet" in my life. When I noticed that I had to move out a notch on my belt, I started doing this.

One trick: it takes a while for your stomach to realize that you're full. So you stop eating when you're only 2/3 or 3/4 full. After 20 minutes, you'll realize you actually ARE full. plus you don't get that bloated, lethargic feeling that you sometimes get after pigging out.
It works great, along with exercise. I don't bother with a scale, I just feel how much flab I can grab around my midsection. So far its been working great. Not real fast, but steady progress. Only prob is: I started on Sunday Nov. 3, and I decided to speed up the process by giving up alcohol until Thanksgiving. So I haven't had a drink since then.:P Beer=liquid calories, consumed at night. Wine has less calories, but I tend to eat when I drink wine, so I just gave it all up. o well, Thursday's coming up soon!B|
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I know it sounds really bad, but I've lost 10 lbs so far by trying a low-carb diet.

Not really Adkins, since I still eat a few carbs a day, but I've definitely cut back. The first week or so was really hard...all I wanted was a roll or even a sandwich! But after a month or so, I find myself missing the carbs less and less. I've also discovered a local nutrition store that sells low-carb bread, pasta, candy bars (which are really yummy), and just about everything you can imagine.

Plus (sorry to all the vegetarians on here), I lOVE meat. red meat. steak. And I don't feel guilty eating it any more.

I'd like to lose about 10 more lbs, then start adding the carbs back in to see how many I can eat and still maintain.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Glad to hear you are not really doing the Atkins. The Atkins diet is effective for losing weight fast, but those folks tend to put the weight back on eventually. Also, it is really not recommended to do it for more than 2 months as it really beats up your body. In particular, your kidneys take a beating.

Years of eating once a day, with a snack in midafternoon, has destroyed my metabolism. I have the energy and metabolism of, say, a desert tortoise.

I wasn't going to contribute to this thread, nor was I even going to click into it. Because it sounded like a bit of a club - people want to lose 5, 10 pounds. Good deal! I want to lose 40. And no-one told me we had a diet club forming.

I know I need to eat more/better, but I literally get revulsed if I know I've already eaten today, and can't do more than nibble on some
crackers or carrots. I do drink a lot of milk (1%), though.

Sunday's dinner was a Lean Cuisine, and a can of green beans. A handful of crackers. That's it. Yesterday's food? 2 cups romaine, 1/2 chicken breast, tomatoes, kidney beans, and vinegar dressing. 16 oz. milk. 6 low fat ritz crackers. About 12 cups of coffee, though. Non-fat creamer. I do, when I remember, take a multivitamin. I figure my daily caloric intake is +/- 900-1000 per day.

What gets me is this is a typical day. Sometimes, it's a bit more. Sometimes, if I'm really down on myself, I don't eat at all. If I'm out to lunch or dinner, I get about 1/2 way done, and am finished. Portions at restaurants are far too big for me, so it often comes home...and then it's 50/50 whether it gets eaten or not.

The only time that has changed for me in the last 1.5 years in when I'm jumping. I have had lunch and dinner (both!) (or breakfast and dinner) several times. I've been known to get something, and then share it with others. Holidays are different, too, because for example, I have three thanksgivings this year, and at least 2 Christmas Dinners to go to.

So. Can anyone explain to me why I am not rail thin? I am generally pretty active - no, I don't run, but I walk (I suppose I need to do it more often), and am generally strong under the flab. I am not desk bound, and comments from co-workers are "you're never at your desk" (cause I'm always bouncing around.)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Hey, Michele!

Sounds to me like you're not getting enough calories to support your bodies functions and that your body thinks you're starving and as a result is trying to hold onto every single calorie you consume.

Just my .02.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Back in the 70's I used to read everything I could get my hands on in relation to bodybuilding and diet. Back then most body builders were eating high protein, fairly high fat, while avoiding carbohydrates. I tried this for a while, but felt awful. I craved carbohydrates all the time.

In the 80's and 90's it seemed most bodybuilders were going back to eating higher levels of carb's while cutting way back on fat's while taking in moderate levels of protein. Quality carbohydrates such as potatoes and even pasta were considered very good as long as you kept your total caloric intake within reason. Most people thought that higher levels of protein weren't needed, even on a bodybuilders regimen. I felt much better on this type of diet.

Now I've been reading where many people are going back to a diet consisting of high protein, higher fat, while avoiding carbs. It seems like things have made a full circle once again. I think it's important to go with what works for you and listen to your body. If you feel rotten on a particular diet, maybe you need to change it.

A scale is good way to determine how your diet is going, but a mirror may be even better. Some people take pictures of their progress by comparing these. These are just some thoughts from a fat old fart who needs to practice what he preaches. Steve1

hmmm, this is interesting. I've been noticing among the people I know: the overweight ones usually don't eat breakfast (I guess in an attempt to eliminate some calories) while the lean ones do eat breakfast...go figure:P.

Speed Racer

I just don't go along with all these screwy, faddish high protein, or whatever diet plans. I still stand by the Scoby diet plan.( "the "eat a little less than usual and move around a bit, lardass!" diet"B|) Eat normal food like a normal human. Just eat a little less & exercise a little more.
Yeah, you won't lose 10 pounds in a week, it takes a little longer than a weird-ass crash diet regimen, but its more natural and healthier. And probably more permanent as well.

Speed Racer

lol, its not a club, just kind of started as a joke, but I will say that when you are dieting, it helps to have people do it with you. My competition diets are HELL, so its always nice when I have someone near by going through it with me.

after reading what you eat, you're defenitely NOT getting enough calories per day...you do want to take in less then you put out, but as a woman you need at LEAST 1200, and if your active, that number goes up...

The key to walking on water... Is knowing where the rocks are

The eat-less-exercise-more diet seems to be the one that works the best for me, too. I'm just not good enough at following directions to go with a "real" diet, or even a "real" exercise plan. The other thing that makes a difference for this lazy person is having healthy food available, and not keeping snack food I like in the house.

The older I get, the more I find that regular exercise helps me to feel like "me," too. My mom used to say that it took more and more work as you got older to look and feel young. That, and proper selection of parents ;)

Wendy W.

Do people really find it that hard to eat healthy and work out? It's so simple, really. :S

I didn't get motivated and eager to go work out until AFTER I started seeing some results. It is very hard to keep up an exercise regimen when you don't feel like it's working.

When you can look in the mirror and actually realize you are toning up or losing weight (or both), THEN you get pumped up and it makes it easier to continue. When I was in high school I exercised from football, but then I was stuffing carbs like no tomorrow and had lots of fat. At 17 I weighed 235.

I started an running exercise program last Thanksgiving when I decided that I wanted to buy a new canopy, and I didn't want to fly some big 200sqft+ behemoth canopy. I weighed 190 then. I weigh 158 now. 36"pants then, 31"pants now.

Next year after the holidays, my goal is to flatten down to a 30"w and drop another 2% in body fat (14% now). Sounds like a small goal... but hey, it's achievable!

Michele,

I was going to put this in a pm, but I've decided to post it here because it may help others.

First of all, don't look at 40lbs. It's too much of a mountain to climb and seems impossible. 40lbs is what I lost in 4 months. I did it by Weight Watchers, which is not considered a diet, but a way of eating. It is truly a healthy way to eat and you don't have to starve yourself. In fact, it kind of forces you to eat healthy. It also gives you a guide for food intake according to your current weight. It brings you down gradually. Now, here's the kicker...you see results IMMEDIATELY! The first week I did it, I lost 6lbs. Doesn't sound like much, but I felt totally different. I was completely psyched and it motivated me to continue. Next week was about 3lbs. The bottom line is, if you follow the plan, you WILL lose weight.

Best of luck to you all.:)
Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Do people really find it that hard to eat healthy and work out? It's so simple, really. :S

Okay, finally thought of a good way to explain why it's not easy. I used to be the type to eat and eat and eat and eat and eat and never gain a pound. So, I ate and ate and ate. Then, holy moly, my metabolism started slowing down. Well, I didn't really realize this till I was already set in my ways of eating complete crap all the time. I guess it's like trying to break any bad habit. It's difficult to put effort into watching what you eat when you never had to before. I still don't, really. The only thing I ever really did was cut out pop, since some diets don't taste too bad and pop is completely worthless. But, I am okay with not being super duper skinny, so I don't think I really need to watch what I eat.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning