mpreil

Be honest: Who really checked their Cypres2 before every jump this weekend?

>Isn't that a huge leap? The fact is that the problem is FOUND on the packing mat.

Well the one misfiring happened on the packing mat.

And like I said, that's no guarantee that it won't fire after takeoff/before landing - it just makes the odds lower. Also keep in mind that cypreses without this problem have fired in the door, so even with a unit that passes the test (were you to test it in the airplane which I wouldn't recommend) might fire in the door. No AAD is perfect.

at least it won't pop out the reserve when I don't expect it

How can you be sure? No matter how much things change they remain the same. Took forever for AAD's to gain acceptance, and only then when marketing convinced people it was failsafe. In reality it never has been failsafe and now we're back to the late 70's/early 80's where the operation of the device is again called into question. [:/]

Huh? It was asked whether - in light of the recent SB - anyone really checked. The SB mentioed that the CYPRES in the - highly unlikely - event it gets stuck, it freezes. So it won't be able to pop your reserve, right?

(OK, there's also this mysterious "fire on the packing mat" but I maybe am too much a physicist - or have too little insight into the matter as to understand why a "frozen" unit was able to fire the cutter, so I didn't take that really into account.)

And again: They tested a hundred+ units for 13 months and didn't have such an error; it took years after 2009 to happen a few times (2 or 3, I suppose) in the field, so chances it happens to yours are really very, very low, huh? ;) I won't wet my pants jumping it, have done so for 2 years ;)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

>Isn't that a huge leap? The fact is that the problem is FOUND on the packing mat.

Well the one misfiring happened on the packing mat.

And like I said, that's no guarantee that it won't fire after takeoff/before landing - it just makes the odds lower. Also keep in mind that cypreses without this problem have fired in the door, so even with a unit that passes the test (were you to test it in the airplane which I wouldn't recommend) might fire in the door. No AAD is perfect.

Agree completely NO AAD is perfect and I wish people would remember that and not swallow the marketing hype.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.