avgjoe

Cypres 2 service bulletin

The fact that it needed extra work in Germany should remind you that a self test is not enough to know if everything is as it should be, or is as you should want it to be.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The fact that it needed extra work in Germany should remind you that a self test is not enough to know if everything is as it should be, or is as you should want it to be.

Firstly I'm not sure you can draw that conclusion reliably. Certainly a self test can't fix anything, so I don't see a link.

Secondly, despite the 12 and 20 year lifetime statements, both AAD manufacturers assume a very light usage. When you take the use into account both are pretty poor, compared to automotive or medical products.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Secondly, despite the 12 and 20 year lifetime statements, both AAD manufacturers assume a very light usage. When you take the use into account both are pretty poor, compared to automotive or medical products.

You forget the fact that people are expecting to lowest possible cost and applaud competition from lower priced AADs.
FWIW, the level of aging tests performed by Airtec by far exceeds the normal level of testing that a similarly priced consumer electronics product are subjected to.

Firstly I'm not sure you can draw that conclusion reliably. Certainly a self test can't fix anything, so I don't see a link.

The unit was sent in for regular maintenance without having shown any error codes or trouble. A self test can't identify many faults. Of course a self test can't fix anything. Some think that a very thorough check as required by the cypres is not needed because a self test will find any problems - that thinking is wrong as this case shows.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think a reminder of the philosophy behind why substantial maintenance is a good idea and what happens during cypres maint testing is appropriate. It is much more than putting it in a chamber and confirming that it works. A self test cannot confirm the accuracy and precision of a sensor, or that a cold solder joint will not function at all when the unit is later at some temp extreme, among other things.

www.cypres-usa.com/english_maintenance.pdf

http://www.cypres-usa.com/The_philosophie_of_reliability.pdf

With all due respect,...competition? Price fixing is more like it. Proving this is another matter, but trust me there's not a lot of competition in this secondary market. Now if you want to speak about competition in the industry as far as container / canopy issues, now that there's real competition! The DoD report describes competition as being insanly cutthrought!

If there was true competition we would have a USA brand! Instead we have a few american hopefulls selling their wares on ebay (that the skydiving community dosen't even know they exsist.)[:/]

People arn't expecting anything, by the peoples response they have demonstrated an amazing lack of interest regaarding this whole issue?

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I think a reminder of the philosophy behind why substantial maintenance is a good idea and what happens during cypres maint testing is appropriate. It is much more than putting it in a chamber and confirming that it works. A self test cannot confirm the accuracy and precision of a sensor, or that a cold solder joint will not function at all when the unit is later at some temp extreme, among other things.

www.cypres-usa.com/english_maintenance.pdf

http://www.cypres-usa.com/The_philosophie_of_reliability.pdf

Those are good points.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

With all due respect,...competition? Price fixing is more like it. Proving this is another matter, but trust me there's not a lot of competition in this secondary market. Now if you want to speak about competition in the industry as far as container / canopy issues, now that there's real competition! The DoD report describes competition as being insanly cutthrought!

If there was true competition we would have a USA brand! Instead we have a few american hopefulls selling their wares on ebay (that the skydiving community dosen't even know they exsist.)[:/]

People arn't expecting anything, by the peoples response they have demonstrated an amazing lack of interest regaarding this whole issue?

I could quickly come up with the following devices: Cypres, Vigil, Argus, m2, Astra (which is a US brand btw). Some may not be in business any longer for various reasons but 5 different manufacturers for a relatively small sport is definitely competition in my book. I dont want to start a brand war, but just to highlight that there is competition and the competition for lower cost could very well have caused at least one of them to make a design decision that has proven to cause trouble.
Some manufacturers state that their design is maintenance free (resulting in a lower total cost of ownership) where as others state that there is no way to make a device 99.999% reliable without a periodic maintenance. TCO is a point often brought up when various models are being compared.

*** This is about the existing Cypres bulletin from 31 January 2013, where certain newer C2's might very occasionally freeze, not some new bulletin ***

Looks like Airtec/SSK have been getting through the backlog for service, and now are allowing some more C2's to be sent in even before their regular maintenance time.

They haven't opened it up for the full date range of affected units, but just ones manufactured July 11 to Dec 12. They do not cover shipping costs etc as it isn't a full recall.

The document is labelled as an addendum to the original bulletin, in a separate file. It is dated "November 2013":

http://www.cypres-usa.com/SB-Follow-up_11_2013_eng.pdf