avgjoe

Cypres 2 service bulletin

For recent units only:

CYPRES 2 units manufactured February 2009 through December 2012 (02/2009 - 12/2012).

A modified component from a supplier may rarely cause an unexpected lockup even when showing zero. May happen in high static electricity conditions.

Therefore check before each jump is required, by pressing the button to confirm the LED flashes. [Very inconvenient!]

The bulletin does confirm that one packing mat Cypres fire did occur.

Cypres maintenance and production were held up recently while Airtec hunted down the problem, I was told by SSK. [Explaining why my unit isn't back from maintenance yet.]

Perhaps unusually, there is no actual recall of the units, and no indication of how the issue would be fixed if the unit is sent back outside of normal maintenance.

The bulletin does confirm that one packing mat Cypres fire did occur.

I believe this was in Florida over the holidays.

According to this document: http://www.pia.com/piapubs/TSDocuments/TS120cV3b.pdf cypres were tested for electrostatic discharge up to 25KV. They must not have tested the revised component.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Therefore check before each jump is required, by pressing the button to confirm the LED flashes. [Very inconvenient!]

Seriously? It's inconvenient to check your gear before you put it on? If you do a complete gear check that includes lifting the reserve flap to check the pin (like we teach students to do), it will take what, three seconds longer to check the AAD? Wow, that's asking an awful lot of you. How do you handle the inconvenience and time involved in turning it on in the morning?

At least this time the static turns it off instead of making it fire like the Cypres 1 did (who remembers anti static sleeves?). Much rather that it was off when I thought it was on than firing when I don't want it to. When it's off, it can't kill me.

Interesting indeed. My wife bought a brand new one last year. DOM 04/12. Does this mean that for her $1600 she has to worry about this for 4 years?

Ken

Edited to add that I've just sent a message to both Airtec and SSK to let them know that the proposed solution to the problem is not acceptable here. We'll see what they say.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

so now for the next 4 years i need to make sure my cypres is functioning properly. i still check it before every jump but come on, really?

i paid the extra bucks for this unit because they claim to be extremely reliable...

they should fix this issue on their own dime.

Agreed, I paid the extra for a cypres thinking problems like this could be avoided. I check my shit every jump anyway, so its not that bad. What concerns me are other "changes" we may not be aware of and the problems they might cause. I know if I owned a company like this I would feel morally obligated to fix this for FREE, sand in a timely manner.

Seriously? It's inconvenient to check your gear before you put it on? If you do a complete gear check that includes lifting the reserve flap to check the pin (like we teach students to do), it will take what, three seconds longer to check the AAD? Wow, that's asking an awful lot of you. How do you handle the inconvenience and time involved in turning it on in the morning?

At least this time the static turns it off instead of making it fire like the Cypres 1 did (who remembers anti static sleeves?). Much rather that it was off when I thought it was on than firing when I don't want it to. When it's off, it can't kill me.

Sorry but the fact that it appears to be working correctly unless you check for it to be actually hung up is not a solution. if it was look at your cypres before putting on your rig and it said ERROR then it might be at the very most understandable as a problem and have to be sent in for service. The fact that it hangs and appears normal and working is unacceptable. I believe in and do a full gear check before each jump, regardless this is not a solution, this is a work around..... Saying this is fine because its better then a past problem does not mean its not a problem.

This should be fixed for free as soon as we send them in, not at the next service interval.

This should be fixed for free as soon as we send them in, not at the next service interval.

Absolutely. If it can fail before you board why can't it fail after you board?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

All units that are shipping from Airtec now (and I understand none have shipped for several weeks) should be addressed so new units are clear of the issue.

I would suggest waiting a few days to see if Airtec and/or SSK can expand on some of the questions that have been posed to them to get additional clarification on this. Please contact Airtec or SSK directly to get information on the unit that you are jumping to see what the best options are.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Two questions:

First, this is already starting to be brought up, but how does a gear check ensure proper performance after a gear check and through the completion of each jump? Can't the same failure potentially happen on board the plane?

Second, the service bulletin states: "In addition, a recent activation, after the rig had been placed on the packing mat, has been linked to this phenomenon." Doesn't this mean that the cypress randomly fired? If that is the case, this is an even bigger issue then the unit not functioning.

If either is the case, its hard to justify the required action or solution as adequate.

I'd like to know about this "activation on the mat"

Does anyone have any info on that? Why did the unit fire? Could it have fired later on as well? What about the carpets used in various aircraft? Could I contribute to this problem when sliding over the carpet towards the door on a day with very dry air?

All units that are shipping from Airtec now (and I understand none have shipped for several weeks) should be addressed so new units are clear of the issue.

I would suggest waiting a few days to see if Airtec and/or SSK can expand on some of the questions that have been posed to them to get additional clarification on this. Please contact Airtec or SSK directly to get information on the unit that you are jumping to see what the best options are.

Having two school units in at SSK right now, I'm wondering if they'll do the repair while it's in for the 4 year? Also wondering if it will delay return.

So..if you bought a new unit, either send in now for 'update' and spend how much?
Or, check every jump for the next four years?

I'm guessing that due to the nature of the fault, if the Cypres fails, it'll do so on the carpet when exposed to static but is unlikely to in the airplane after your final check. It'll lock up or fire on the carpet, not after.

So the failure won't be completely random in time and location.

Not a big consolation but it is something.

Having two school units in at SSK right now, I'm wondering if they'll do the repair while it's in for the 4 year? Also wondering if it will delay return.

So..if you bought a new unit, either send in now for 'update' and spend how much?

Im also curious of this part, for those that have older then this years cypres 2 i would see this as a send your unit in and have it checked because we found a problem for free case, after all its Guaranteed for 12.5 Years. Mines 3 months old.... Actually its not even in my rig yet but still in the sealed bag it came in :D

Will see what they say, but since they actually have a fix for it i hope they do the right thing.

Very good example of worst communication scenario here. Airtec, you really screwed up this one! There were 3 AAD manufacturers until recently, one dropped out. Two to go. I have read probably everything available since the bulletin yesterday but I still cannot stop to shake my head. Either you sold a not so reliable product for years and nobody knew or you did the worst communication and risk mitigation job I can only imagine... This was what the trust in your brand was built upon and we all invested money into it. It will never be like that from now on, no matter what you do!

I was having the same issues with my Cypress I.

In addition, it turned itself off about 5 times in 1 month last July so I think the same problem runs deeper than their bulletin states.

Went with the Vigil because I got sick of the never-ending broken promises of delivery dates in addition to the turning-off issue
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime