dpfire29

which altimeter to buy for beginner skydiver

I just started myself, And I decided to go with an Alti-2 Galaxy. I bought it used thru the classifieds here so i picked it up for under $100.

Here's why I picked it as a newbie

* Established Company - I know if I have problems with it, Alti-2 will most likely still be here to help me out (Plus i live in DeLand, so it's local)

* Analog altimeter - While i realize anything can break, I know my eyes are not yet the best judge of altitude, so I did not want anything that depends on batteries as my primary altimeter

* Field replaceable lens - I know my landings are going to suck, I know I'm clumsy in the plane, and I haven't even started group dives yet... So i know it's only a matter of time before the lens is scratched or broken, so it's nice to know "I" can fix it for $10

* Glow Face - Night jumps are a long way off.. but it's nice to know the altimeter I bought as a newbie will still be useful later on as well

I will say that I hate that it's pretty much worthless once you get below 200ft (the width of the needle is about 100ft).. I think it would be nice to have a digital when it comes time to land... however I also think that's an area where I really need to train my eyes, so it's probably for the best

Another thing I like about my galaxy having a removable lens, is that it allowed me to somewhat customize the face.. I didn't want to do anything extreme, but when i was going thru AFF I found myself looking at my altimeter.. but not always READING my altimeter... so I wanted a reminder that 5.5 was time to pull ... so i made some tiny vinyl decals and added them to the face, pics attached

With all that said, this doesn't mean it's the best altimeter for you, but those are the reasons i chose it for me

I wanted a reminder that 5.5 was time to pull ... so i made some tiny vinyl decals and added them to the face, pics attached

That is great... until your pull altitude moves down. You won't be pulling at 5.5 for long. If you are... you will likely have few folks to jump with.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I agree with your choice of an Alti-2 Galaxy but I suggest that under 200 feet you need to be using your eyes

So this:

I will say that I hate that it's pretty much worthless once you get below 200ft

... shouldn't be a problem.

You're only seconds from landing at 200 feet :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I bought an alti trak as my first altimeter. I really wanted the analog face as well as the digital jump log. This is nice for filling out you log book afterwards or you can load into pc software. It is also nice because the altitude marks are at different intervals for different altitudes. So when you are at 13k, it is only marked every 2k feet, but below 6k it is marked every 1k. I've been really happy with it so far. It has a back light for night jumps and the battery lasts awhile. I'm a new jumper but wanted to tell you my experience with the alti trak.

Shhhhhh, no yelling needed. (Turn your caps lock off)

And if you use that helpful search function, look for info on the Galaxy altimeter. Been discussed many times before.

A used Galaxy is a great investment. I've still got mine and it gets used occasionally.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

let me make sure my caps are off, thanks for the input, i think i am going with this one, i guess i was wanting to go big and have all the bells and wistles with the altitrack, but the more i read i think this one may fit me better, i dont want to train myself to rely on audible just yet.

I'd agree with the other recommendations; a Galaxy is a great first altimeter, particularly if you can find one used.

The Altitrack is a fantastic piece of technology, and I own one, but I waited (patiently - over 5 years to be exact!) till I found one used at a really great price. They don't pop up used all that often, but sometimes you can get a deal.

IMHO, since you're going to be spending a ton of money on a lot of things as you build up your pile of skydiving gear, the additional $250 you'd spend on a new Altitrack (vs. a new Galaxy) could be better put towards other gear (such as a rig, or a jumpsuit, or helmet) for now.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I will say that I hate that it's pretty much worthless once you get below 200ft (the width of the needle is about 100ft).. I think it would be nice to have a digital when it comes time to land... however I also think that's an area where I really need to train my eyes, so it's probably for the best

Exactly. At 200 ft you'd best be looking where you are going and watching for the bozo that's trying to run into you instead of watching an altimeter...of ANY type.
You got it.
Good stuff.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I bought an alti trak as my first altimeter. I really wanted the analog face as well as the digital jump log.

Another vote for the Alti-Trak, if you can afford it. I bought mine at 12 jumps and have been totally satisfied with it, going on 6 years now. I've only changed the battery once in that time. I like the automatic recording of exit altitude and freefall time, and the speeds are helpful too. It's easy to read the analog face day or night with the backlit feature.
The only downside is the expense, but I looked at it as a commitment to skydiving; I knew I'd be sticking with it. Another plus is the reputation of the company. I've never needed service, but from all reports, if I do, they will take good care of me.
But what do I know?

Exactly. At 200 ft you'd best be looking where you are going and watching for the bozo that's trying to run into you instead of watching an altimeter...of ANY type.
You got it.
Good stuff.