Push

Reserves

I understand from other discussions that porosity increases with repacks more so than deployments, but this must not matter too much in terms of practical "wearing out" because F-111 mains still last for hundreds of jumps before their performance is not acceptable, and they get a repack and deployment with each jump.

Sure, the porosity may increase, but I think that the effect of deployments and repacks on the STRENGTH of the fabric is what should be investigated. The porosity change just can't matter that much. My PD210 (F-111) with ~150 jumps still planes out so well that I can't justify thinking about replacing it yet.
Where am I wrong?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Due to the design and triming of reserves I've heard of test jumpers basically throwing the reserve away after 40 or so jumps on them.

your pd 210 is a nice big 9 cell, 7 cells are a bit different on the flare and then a reserve is even worse to start with.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yes they do, brand snob.

what is interesting is that I never hear anyone call someone an Icarus snob, or Pisa snob, or Atair snob(well maybe Dan) but you hear alot of people called PD snobs....hmmm...a thought to ponder....

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

1994 Amigo 172 with two saves on it in my primary rig.
1985 Parachutes de France SOS 5-cell in my back up rig with zero jumps
As for age, well, won't pack any square reserves older than 20 years (hint Para-Flite introduced the 5-cell Swift reserve in 1981, and no I don't like packing those silly brake lines).
I won't pack round PEP more than 30 years old (1972) and only if they have been updated with diapers. Most 30 year old PEP containers are hopelessly obsolete (i.e. pack opening bands) or need so many repairs they should be retired.

Due to the design and triming of reserves I've heard of test jumpers basically throwing the reserve away after 40 or so jumps on them.

your pd 210 is a nice big 9 cell, 7 cells are a bit different on the flare and then a reserve is even worse to start with.

I would probably want a new reserve after so many deployments also, my point is that people are getting worked up over 20-40 repacks, and an increase in porosity doesn't seem to be enough to justify the concern, unless it is shown to be directly related to strength. Has PD shown that there is a problem with fabric strength after 20-40 repacks, or just porosity? I don't think the interest in this subject is motivated by the desire to ensure good landings, I think the concern is correctly related to structural integrity. If there is a safety issue lurking under the surface of this subject, we deserve to know more.

Any other thoughts?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I don't know about that, dude.

I little over a year ago I was jumping rental gear at Skydive IL in Morris. The rental gear I was using was PD170s in Javelins. Made 4 jumps that day. On the 3rd, I had packed myself a VERY hard pull, and eventually went silver. The reserve was a relief, to say the least. I brought the baby down and stuck it in the peas though, and it had considerably more flare power than the 170 had, and it was a PD143R.

Now, after that very good experience, the PD126R is in the main rig, and the cricket 145 is in the backup/loaner rig.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

How many jumps on the 170 and what was its poresity level? It its ragged out F111 I'd hope a low jump reserve would have more flare power.

Even full ZP canopies can have no flare, the Lightning for example. I dred the landing on every jump with that canopy.

Rev, call PD up and have them ship you a 126R demo on risers for a few jumps to make sure you like it. I know a girl that had some major gear fear about jumping her 126r till she demoed one and found how it flew. Only about 30 jumps later she had to use the reserve to save herself, and she was happy she knew how the small reserve flew beforehand.

On reserves the poresity has to be above certian levels to remain airworthy too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I would probably want a new reserve after so many deployments also, my point is that people are getting worked up over 20-40 repacks, and an increase in porosity doesn't seem to be enough to justify the concern, unless it is shown to be directly related to strength.

Right... but many of us are seriously loading our reserves, sometimes in excess of 1.5. If you're going to jump f-111 at 1.5 it has to be close to zero-p. While I'm willing to land a new reserve at 1.5, I'm not willing to land an old one.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

It was in a brand new Javelin, and the main had less than 50 jumps on it. I'm not saying the main didn't flare well, it did. I'm saying the reserve flared with more power.

That 146 is the smallest non ZP I've flown, but I have flown sub 120 ZPs. I know they fly different, no need to bring that up. Just wanted to point out that I have no gear fear in anything I own at the moment.
I'm not complacent by any means, but I'm not afraid of any of it either.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

The reserve I have in mind is not that old, DOM 93. The general consensus is that it should be perfectly fine as long as it passes airworthiness by a rigger (just like any reserve). It has never been used.

Thanks for your answers. After reading about the 85 5-cells, I definitely feel better :)

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.