narcimund

How do you introduce the person you sleep with?

There's a weird, indescribable phase between initial dating and marriage. Nothing really works here. "Boyfriend/girlfriend" sounds so junior high school, "partner" sounds cold, "lover" is a bit too intimate for introductions.

So if you're in a serious, committed relationship but haven't married yet (or possibly are forbidden by law from marrying *cough* *cough*), what do you call the person you're relating with?

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I just say, "Hello, this is _____". If someone can't figure out that we're dating by our interactions it means that either they're dense, or out relationship is lackluster and it's time to chop.

-doug
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

What he said. Actually, it could also mean that whether you keep each other warm at night isn't necessarily someone else's business.

If someone else is trying to score and you're not available, "No thanks" seems to be pretty effective for me.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

No thanks" seems to be pretty effective for me

I thinks it's better to say you're already with someone, rather than just saying no. that way they don't feel let down as much.
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

I think you can keep it light but get your point across by using any one of the following phrases:

(they work best with silly grins)

May I introduce Cindy, my special lady friend?

This is my main squeeze, Adam.

This is Terry, the light of my life.

Have you met my guy, Jorge?

Etc... etc... etc...

M

The last mosquito that bit me had to book into the Betty Ford Clinic. -Patsy

Personally, I prefer "partner" to "significant other." "Significant Other" sounds cold to me.

Using the term "friend" usually offends the "friend" you are introducing, "special friend" is cheesy, boyfriend/girlfriend works to a point, but indicates a more casual relationship (like you are just dating...) Totally with you on "lover". "Main Squeeze" only works in certain company.

I think I'm back to "partner", or as someone else suggested, not using a label at all.

I've been engaged for 2 years, not even close to setting a date, but "fiancee" works for me. He pisses me off when he ocassionally refers to me as his "wife"!

maura

Before I married I always introduced my g/f as my Housekeeper.

At our DZ one married couple always refer to each other as b/f or g/f, as in "Have you seen my g/f?". I like that.
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342