CrazyThomas

BASE acceptance

I've got no problems with BASE, as a matter of fact I have a great deal of respect for those who do it and are able to do it safely. Personally, I don't have the balls, yet. It does fascinate me though, it wouldn't surprise me if I get the itch one day and start into it.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

If you burn in in a forest, and there's nobody around to hear it, can I have your rig?

If you burn in in a forest, and there's nobody around to hear it, I ain't gonna bother asking...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I've got the balls to do it, as you stated there Jimbo, but I'm NOT gonna do it with either of my Sabres.

Fox still a good choice for a canopy?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Fox still a good choice for a canopy?

You might want to post this to a topical forum, or to BLiNC. But the short answer is, no.

The FOX is the last generation (Mojo/FOX) technology. Basic Research (manufacturer of the FOX) now has a new canopy called the Flik. CR's latest generation is the Ace and Blackjack.

FOX's are still good workhorse canopies (tough, reliable), but for cutting edge BASE I'd prefer one of the next generation canopies.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Oh, don't get me wrong Tom. I'm not looking for cutting edge. Specifically, I'm looking for a canopy with a proven track record of getting us crazy mo-fo down to the ground safely.

Sabre=Bad for base.

?=good (and preferably cheap?)

edit: damn, I missed that, my 300th post. Old hand, I feel so special. Time to get a beer.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

BASE looks tres kewl and some of the video I've seen is W-O-W! B|

I'm not ready to try it though...[:/]

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Who can accept it? Who can tolerate it? and who likes it?
Me, I am yes for all three.
But that's just me.
Peace
Thomas

I accept & tolerate BASE, don't see anyway one could not. BASE jumpers are highly respected where I come from.

Watching BASE jumpers I know develop with top of the line skydiving skills...canopy accuracy skills- they have worked hard to earn all the respect they deserve.
I recall many years ago a group of us heading down to U.S. from Canada with a new jumper who wanted to purchase gear. At the d.z. the new jumper was invited to BASE and we all freaked....no way was he ready to try BASE, (he teases us about that to this day as has become the most experienced BASE jumper we know now.)

The BASE jumpers I know still have their blood in skydiving- always there to take someone up for a tandem or AFF, do a RW jump/freefly/bird-man track/even rush to be part of team accuracy or CRW/ coach/do video/- they are main stream in the skydiving world. They share their BASE experience with all of us openly and also give back to skydiving community with their hearts --more than any other jumpers I know.

Smiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

I agree with Tom on this one. I have trouble accepting it. It is a very crazy sport. When a person gets into BASE, they may understand this. Sure, I can tolerate it, and I do love it. But acceptance? wow, that is a tough one. I don't fear death on BASE jumps. I have already been told time and time again that I will die BASE jumping.
To which I say: "I hope so!"
I fear getting injured BASE jumping. Death is the end, but more often than not, some part of the parachute will open enough to only break backs or femurs or other bones, and a person lives through it. And the biggest worry I have? Getting paralyzed BASE jumping. Then, I can't even take the last step myself, and I am forced to live through the rest of my paralyzed life.
Peace,
Thomas

Sometimes, it just scares the bejeezus out of me, though

I think that is something people forget when they say "I wanna try that" - it is PHUKQIN SCAREY!!!

I have never known fear quite like this............... but I keep going back for more!!