sooperswooper

What canopy should I choose to fly next?

I bought I new Micron and their waiting period is long but I know that in 8 months it will be here and I'm looking to downsize from a 119 at 1.7 wingload to a 109.
I did around 450 jumps on my Safire 119 and I like it but especially on windy conditions its a bitch to fly.....no penetration at all. I can hold both my fronts to 50 feet from the ground and as soon as I release I'm stuck. 90's are useless and I feel I'm on a 210. I know I will put other 250/300 jumps before my new rig shows up....but what should I get?
I wanna have fun with some swooping I don't wanna get hurt (No Velo or comp velo or jvx's) and I wanna have good openings. Suggestions please

I like it but especially on windy conditions its a bitch to fly.....no penetration at all.

The problem is the wind. Solving the problem with going to a higher WL (higher than your current 1.7) is I think not wise.

I wanna have fun with some swooping I don't wanna get hurt

Your user name makes it clear you have ambitions on swooping, but I think you should not base downsizing on the desire to jump in such high winds. That is more likely to result in what you don't want, getting hurt.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Well....my next rig will require me to downsize no matter what...I feel confident on my current canopy and ready to switch for something a little more aggressive. Something with a little more dive since my Safire 119 has to be forced to the ground. I like that it has a good recovery arch and allows room for TONS of mistakes but I'm getting tired of the little diving strength.
I was thinking to do a good 50 jumps on the Safire 2 109 and then change canopy as well.

My question is what canopy should I get? Xfire 2 109, Katana 109 or Stiletto 109?

I heard that stiletto opens kind of shitty.....I like my canopy to snivel and not to pop open in 200 feet like a shitty Pilot B| for example......I'm skydiving and NOT... BASE jumping.

Stick with the 119.
Dive comes from pilot technique not just canopy selection.
Point in case i initate a turn considerably higher for a 270 rotation XF2 in comparison to some other jumpers pulling 360's under similarly loaded velo's at my club.
That's purely down to technique used and honed after 10 years flying the same planform canopy and not the canopy.

Just asked the guy out swooping local XF/Katana pilots under a PD Pulse way cool Imo.

Too add..don't let vanity stand in the way of progression no one really gives a s*!t about your small container and what's placarded on the side of your canopy.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

WOW....you guys suck....it's fucking impossible to get an answer to the question.
I'm not keeping the FUCKING 119.....thats why I am asking what I should get next!!!
I won't keep that pile of crap much longer soooooo keeping that in mind what do u suggest next?
If I wanted to keep my 119 then I would not ask the question.
THANK YOU

And if you forgot about it......SAFETY 3RD and not first!!!
1st is looking good

I think that a better place for your question might really be the swooping forum. There are a ton more people there who have been through similar progressions.

You still might not get the answer you want, but that's not always the answer you need.

The fact that you put a Stiletto into your list makes it look like you're looking at fairly dissimilar canopies, and focusing on size more than a consistent downsizing strategy.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I flew the xfire2 and I liked it and they told me that has similar characteristics of a stiletto but that a Katana has a steeper dive.....since I don't know...... I would like someone answering me by listing the different characteristic of these canopies and what is the safest choice.
Okay...as I said the safest choice would be to get a tandem canopy but since I will be downsizing anyways and I would like to try different canopies what's next?
Since I will downsize and change canopy what should i fly next?

My downsizing was fast ...I did around 50 jumps on 150 and 50 on 129 then to 119.
But I felt safe and everyone learns different......I'm not a champ under canopy and I'm super conservative....and I feel like in 200/300 jumps I'll be more than ready for some new excitement under canopy since sometimes I feel I'm on a bus ride

why not just demo them when you get your container? you can see what characteristics you like best and also what fits your container best. If your aiming towards learning to swoop i suggest the katana, good transition for the velo. and for some reason when you tell people you want to learn to swoop they will not give you advice thinking they will be leading you to get hurt, so dont count on someone giving you the benefit of the doubt that you know how to fly a canopy. just demo them and decide for yourself, afterall you know what you want out of a canopy most right?

Thanks man.....finally a constructive comment....thanks.
I will demo for sure.....I almost did last weekend and got too lazy to unhook my canopy...lol
Thats what I heard....Katana is a good transition....I will try them all.
I wish I could switch in flight between canopies to feel the difference in real time.

Dude, you jump at Perris and Elsinore. There is a major gear shop at Perris, and all the expertise in the world there. If you're asking on dz.com rather than real experts, and more specifically in gear & rigging rather than in the swooping forum, I'm thinking that you're really shopping for an opinion that you agree with, preferably one that agrees with your self-view.

I'm not a swooper, but I've survived a decent number of jumps, over a decent number of years. In general, people learn physical things best by working at them incrementally. Even the best swoopers in the world have done that -- some of them after pissing away time being "better than average."

Better than average doesn't buy you much if you're really wanting to be a good swooper. It buys you being a less-than-average swooper, on a canopy that you're not exploiting.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks man.....finally a constructive comment....thanks.
I will demo for sure.....I almost did last weekend and got too lazy to unhook my canopy...lol
Thats what I heard....Katana is a good transition....I will try them all.
I wish I could switch in flight between canopies to feel the difference in real time.

katana is far more agressive than a safire 2, way more ground hungry, especially if you are downsizing at the same time. Might be an idea to put a CF 2 109 in there for some jumps and then move over to the Katana from that.

Less chance for leaving your femurs embedded in the PLA :S

When I read your first post I thought to myself, "this could be Struppa."

Then I saw this:

WOW....you guys suck....it's fucking impossible to get an answer to the question.
I'm not keeping the FUCKING 119.....thats why I am asking what I should get next!!!
I won't keep that pile of crap much longer soooooo keeping that in mind what do u suggest next?
If I wanted to keep my 119 then I would not ask the question.
THANK YOU

And if you forgot about it......SAFETY 3RD and not first!!!
1st is looking good

And I friggan' knew it was you!

I'd just ask Duane. I'm sure you can demo most of these options through Square1.

See you this weekend! If it's not pouring.

~Joe
Apex BASE

Lol.....hhahahah.....you got it right buddy....I already talked to duane and Paul....but I still wanted to hear the opinion of multiple people.....and see what are their experiences with different canopies but u know how dz.com is.....they don't like answering like normal people.....they all become like God in the temple....lol

Also the new LO (Emma) she offered me to try Xfire2 and Katana (both 119/120) but I was too lazy last weekend...

Thanks....this is a good answer....not telling me how I should "upsize" without even seeing how I fucking fly...
I see people at the dz with 5000 and not 500 still butt landing like handicaps....not to talk about summer time when a little wind that shifts at the last second on a downwind makes them eat so much dirt they feed the family for a year.....ahahhaha.......they should buy a blue canopy with the white wheelchair sign on it!!!

You got it buddy, that's the big problem with people in this forum, one asks an opinion and he/she gets a fucking sermon from people who don't even know you personally.
If someone ask a question, GIVE HIM/HER A FUCKING ANSWER!! If you don't know the answer STFU and move to the next thread.
Same here bro, people fucking judge without even know who you are.
They just see only one thing: Jump #.
Like my friend, NAVY SEAL, he has some 100 jumps and when someone had some wisdom pearls for him because he was wearing a GoPro at a DZ I got so mad, idiots!
Hoo fucking yah.
The mind is like a parachute: If you don't open it, it doesn't work.