AggieDave

England has the worst crime rate in the world!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002/12/01/ncrime01.xml&sSheet=/news/2002/12/01/ixhome.html

England has worst crime rate in world
By David Bamber, Home Affairs Correspondent
(Filed: 01/12/2002)

England and Wales have the highest crime rate among the world's leading economies, according to a new report by the United Nations.

The survey, which is likely to prove embarrassing to David Blunkett, the Home Secretary. shows that people are more likely to be mugged, burgled, robbed or assaulted here than in America, Germany, Russia, South Africa or any other of the world's 20 largest nations. Only the Dominican Republic, New Zealand and Finland have higher crime rates than England and Wales.

According to the comparison of international crime statistics produced by the UN's Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention, England and Wales had 9,766 crimes for every 100,000 people in the year 2000. America had 8,517, South Africa 7,997, Germany 7,621 and Russia 2,022.

During the period 1998-2000, Britain went from fifth to fourth worst in the world league table. An analysis of total recorded crime figures before 1998 also suggests that England and Wales have moved sharply up the league table since Labour came to power in 1997. Crimes fell from 5.5 million in 1993 to 4.5 million in 1997. By 1999, total crimes had risen again to 5.3 million.

Last night Oliver Letwin, the shadow home secretary, said: "This does rather blow a hole in David Blunkett's claim that New Labour has crime under control. It is a damning picture."

The UN reports also shows that England and Wales are the second-worst places in the world for assaults, with 851 people assaulted per 100,000, and seventh for burglaries and car theft, with 1,579 burglaries per 100,000 population.

Criminologists believe that a note of caution needs to be introduced into analysis of the data, because of the different ways in which UN member countries record crimes.

A Home Office spokesman said that officials had not yet seen the report and so could not comment.

Ran across this this morning, thought it was interesting and should be shared.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

goofy people need to start putting the steering wheel on the other side of the car drive on the right side of the road!!!:D;););)

I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Although I agree with you, I didn't post this to start that debate up again, since some people refuse to believe hard data. We've had that debate on these forums over and over again, they usually get pretty heated, people get upset and walk away, usually coming back later with out hurt feelings, though.

I just thought that it was an interesting find by the UN, a NON-biased party reporting NON-biased data.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Although I agree with you, I didn't post this to start that debate up again, since some people refuse to believe hard data. We've had that debate on these forums over and over again, they usually get pretty heated, people get upset and walk away, usually coming back later with out hurt feelings, though.

I just thought that it was an interesting find by the UN, a NON-biased party reporting NON-biased data.

Which nation leads in homicides?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Dunno, but it's not a total ban - only handguns.

and most all rifles, and most every shotgun except farmers are allowed one.

basically very close to a total ban.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

*looks at 10-foot poll, decides against it*

C'mon Dave. You know you want to do it. Pick up the pole. Wait. No. Don't. If you pick up the pole, it will take control of you. The arm doesn't swing the pole, the pole swings the arm.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

We still got golf clubs, cricket bats, pick-axe handles .......guns take all the fun out of killing. B|

I think Japan leads the world in sword killings. Nice to know that there is somewhere in the world where tradtion still means something. ;) That's the thing about those darn swords, they were designed for one purpose only. We're lucky crack dealers in the US don't know about them. :o

I'm surprised Russia is so low.

I had a friend who was in Russia on business. He noticed how the militia was sometimes on the street in a police role. Standing around with an AK slung on their shoulder. My friend asked a local business man who replied that if someone snatched a purse, the soldiers would yell for everyone to get down and advised that he do so. They would be firing shortly.

I don't know if this was just isolated to large cities or if this still occurs, but it certainly makes mugging a high-risk occupation.

This is among leading economies - I don't know how they judge a leading economy, but my guess would be south africa has a higher crime rate - particularly the johannesburg area.

I will say that I felt safer in England than the US.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Which nation leads in homicides?

What's your point?

To find the latest data on which nation leads in homicides. Latest I have is nearly 2 years old.

On the whole, I'd rather be a victim of a pickpocket than of homicide.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This is among leading economies - I don't know how they judge a leading economy, but my guess would be south africa has a higher crime rate - particularly the johannesburg area.

The article says it included South Africa in the comparison, so it ranks as a "leading economy." Thus, according to this UN study, it does not have higher crime rate for the listed offenses. The article said nothing of local rates, just the national rates.

Just because I'm curious, where were you in England that you felt so much safer than in Denver?
witty subliminal message
1*