goingdown31

Sabre 2 or Saffire 2 which one?

I'm thinking about choosing between these two for my next canopy. Just thought I would get some feed back from you guys on a good intermediate canopy.

Which one do you like better?

I love my SAFIRE2 169

MUCH more than I liked mySabre2 170
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

How were the openings, turns, flare between the two?

The Safire opens WAY better, turns felt just a tad less zippy and I think the Safire might have just a touch more flare.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

What did you think when you demoed them? Because that's really the opinion that matters most. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Ditto, demo them both.

Also, PD publishes flight characteristics for all their canopies that you can do some research from.

Look under the "Flight Characteristics" tab here for the Sabre 2.

http://performancedesigns.com/products.asp?product=sa
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Your flying a 210^2 Pilot now. What size canopy were you thinking about flying next. At 124 jumps, this has to be a very intelligent decision on your behalf. I'm confident that you will make an intelligent choice. From my experience, I would select the Saffire over the Sabre, I've never flown a Sabre I really liked.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

What did you think when you demoed them? Because that's really the opinion that matters most. :)

That's the only useful answer to your question.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Just to a 190/189 which ever I decide. USPA recommendations are 1.2 for a C-licence and I will be at 1.21 under a 190 unless I gain a lot of weight by then. If I don't feel confident under a 190 when I try them I won't do it.

The recommendations usually state a MAXIMUM of 1.2 at 200 jumps, not that it is recommended to fly a WL of 1.2 - big difference.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

how is the front riser pressure between the safire2 and the sabre2, at say a 1.5 WL?

how do the canopies react to harness input?

im about to make a huge decision, ive already flown sabre2's but im going to be demoing a safire2 and a pilot..........
gravity brings me down.........

how is the front riser pressure between the safire2 and the sabre2, at say a 1.5 WL?

how do the canopies react to harness input?

im about to make a huge decision, ive already flown sabre2's but im going to be demoing a safire2 and a pilot..........

All the above canopies are in a similar "class". Really the only way for you to decide which is right for you is to do what you're doing and demo them and decide which one you personally like best.

~ CanuckInUSA

I have a Saber2 170. It opens slowly and I have found that it opens nearly identical every time. Bad body position seems to cause it to open off heading. I have had very consistent openings with it. The end cells are nearly always collapsed but it responds well to riser turns even though and and a quick flare with the rises opens them right up. The canopy is zippy and fun to play with. It is my first Canopy so you have to get used to the landings. I find that it likes to glide rather than flare but I like it.

Sorry that I do not have a lot of input on the choice but like mine. It is way better than whatever I used for a student canopy!! I have over 100 jumps on my Saber2.

Adam
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them

When I was looking for a 170-ish canopy I got to jump a Sabre2 170, Safire2 169, and a Fusion 175. The three were very nearly identical to each other in terms of response/turn rate. The Safire had the best openings of the three. The flare point was highest on the Sabre, lowest on the Safire, and the Fusion was in the middle in terms of toggle stroke for the flare, but the Fusion felt like it had the most flare. Flying just a standard pattern the Fusion also felt the fastest, but also planed out to the slowest speed before I put my feet down. It might be worth including in your demoing, I ended up buying a Safire because I had less than two weeks before a big trip but would have been happy with any of the three.

Edited to add:

Performance Designs will be the most expensive but hold its value,
Icarus will be in the middle of the price range and also hold its value,
Precision will be the cheapest of the three but generally don't resale as high as the other two if that's a consideration for you.