wlie

WAR! What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing!

So the song goes. But in breaking news, Turkey has given us the green light to use their bases to launch a strike.

And on another news about USPS handing out potassium iodide pills to their workers is making me worry that the Terminator battle scenes might become reality.

THE END IS NEAR! REPENT!
My other ride is the relative wind.

On the peace side, Iraq gave prompt admission to the UN arms inspection teams today to two presidential palaces, locations that the US administration has been suggesting illegal arms development is taking place. They have, so far, complied with all the details of the UN resolution.

On the war side, Bush is going to have to do something, soon, to deflect attention from the growing indications that a Saudi princess funded the 9/11 hijackers. If he waits too long to invade Iraq, his strong support of the Saudi regime is going to start coming under fire (already has, to some degree.) In addition, if he waits until the inspections in Iraq are completed, and no weapons of mass destruction can be found, he will be hard-pressed to come up with a convincing argument to invade.

Absolutely nothing!

....But in breaking news, Turkey has given us the green light to use their bases to launch a strike.

Put the alarm bell away...there's a significant condition to that "green light" you're so worried about, ONLY WITH A UN VOTE SUPPORTING THE USE OF FORCE. Meaning if we have to use our own coalition, we won't be doing too much out of Turkey, and that it will be a lot of sea based power, and operations in Qatar and Kuwait.

What the hell did you expect, Turkey's been a US ally for decades...gee whiz...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Would that nose-thumbing be as opposed to a first-world leader who thinks that he can pick and choose who other countries have as their leaders?

I can only imagine our reaction to another country making no bones about thinking our system wasn't acceptable.

Wendy W.

to deflect attention from the growing indications that a Saudi princess funded the 9/11 hijackers. If he waits too long to invade Iraq, his strong support of the Saudi regime is going to start coming under fire (already has, to some degree

Could you expand on that? It seems that much has been swept under the media rug. Last I heard had something to do with giving the Saudis an ultimatum to turn in the clowns in 30 days or else...

And you think the UN will not give the thumbs up?
[:/][:/][:/][:/][:/][:/][:/][:/][:/][:/]

Not if it comes down to what GW has been building up to. Basically it's going like this.

US: We know you have weapons of mass destruction, tell us where they are or we'll attack.

IRAQ: We don't have any, go ahead and look.

US: Ok, we'll look, but even if we don't find any, we know you have them. So if you don't tell us where they are we're going to attack.

IRAQ: We don't have any.

US: You're lying. Tell us where they are by 12/8 or we're going to attack.

When 12/8 comes along, the GW is going to want to attack, but I doubt the UN will back it unless and until they find what they are looking for. Us claiming that they're lying with no proof behind it isn't going to do it.

>Could you expand on that?

Basically, there are some pretty strong links between the 9/11 attackers and Saudi Arabia. (At least, strong compared to any links with Iraq.) 15 of the 19 9/11 terrorists were from Saudi Arabia, and there is at least one money trail leading back to the ruling family of Saudi Arabia. The chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee said today "the Bush administration and the Saudis have done a masterful job of turning attention away from ... the trail that leads to the possibility that a foreign government provided support to some of the Sept. 11 hijackers."

Not sure where it will lead, but it does weaken the cause for war against Iraq if there is evidence that other countries are much stronger supporters of terrorism. I suppose we could go to war with Saudi Arabia too, but that would be hard seeing how dependent we are on them. Most likely there will just be very strong denials and the whole issue will be swept under the rug.

Some links:

LA Times

FOX News

CNN

US: You're lying. Tell us where they are by 12/8 or we're going to attack.

Good point. But why has it taken Saddam this long to let the inspectors in? Perhaps to buy time and hide them?

On a lighter note, I was at the grocery store last night and on the checkstand, there was a tabloid I can't remember the name. Anyway, Saddam was on the cover, and the headline said something about him having 6 months left to live because he's got Alzheimer's.:S

Ok. It all makes sense now. Saddam hid those weapons so well he forgot where he hid them in the first place.:S

War, what is it good for?

Ummm...
Distracting the voting public.
Removal of basic human rights from innocent civilians / non combatants.
Limitations on free speach.
Closing down DZs and limiting air traffic movements.
Maintenance of artificially high oil prices, especially as the Venezuelan brothers are about to go on strike.....:S (which is good for me, but bad for the rest of the world)
And its really, really good for long delays during check ins at airports.>:(

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Oh but most importantly, war, or its imminent outbreak gives us all something to talk about.
Yes really, its a refreshing change from the RSL debate....;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

>Basically it's going like this.

In the truth is stranger than fiction department, here are some actual quotes over the last two days:

Bush - Saddam "is not somebody who looks like he's interested in complying."

Iraq - "We have repeated our position several times that we have nothing hidden."

Bush - "Anybody who shoots at U.S. airplanes or British airplanes is not somebody who looks like he's interested in complying with disarmament."

UN - "There is a good indication that the Iraqis are cooperating"

Bush - Saddam "was very critical of the U.S. and Britain. It didn't appear to be somebody that was that anxious to comply."

Iraq - "really, we have no weapons of mass destruction."

Bush - "A regime that sends letters filled with protests and falsehoods is not taking the path of compliance."

I hope Bush takes the initiative and double-dog-dares Hussein to show us his nuclear weapons. Only then will the issue be resolved.

>but double dog dare!!??!!?? That's just going to far!!!

What, do you _want_ another 9/11? Our country is under attack from these people! (Well, not these people, but people who look just like them.) No measure is too extreme to be used in the defense of the American People - not even a double dog dare.

We can only hope that China and North Korea are wise enough to not use a double dog dare against any of our allies. _That_ would be an unwarranted escalation we'd have to respond to militarily.

:D:D:D

Pre-emptive DDD's are NOT the answer!! The only recourse for the targets will be to escalate to TDD's and QDD's...and then what??? I mean, just think of all the people that will be saying, "Dude, hold my beer and watch this." When those DDD's start flying. Complete ANARCHY!!!!!